What is mintArt

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

What is mintArt

Post by NiksaVel »

mintArt is a sub-project of the Linux Mint distribution aimed at increasing the overal quality and pleasure of using Linux Mint by:
  • setting a graphical standard for Linux Mint, including:
    • logo,
      default colors,
      default fonts,
      wallpaper
    providing quality themes for the desktop enviroment, including:
    • primary GTK2 theme
      secondary GTK2 theme
      primary metacity theme
      secondary metacity theme
      primary icon setup
      secondary icon setup
    providing appropriate skins for programs distributed in Linux Mint to fit those desktop themes, including:
    • Firefox/Thunderbird
      Gaim
      Amarok
      Xmms
      MPlayer
      Gnome Commander
    documenting all our work into simple to use HOW-TOs so that others can easily continue contributing to the project
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

what do you guys think about some general definition of the mintArt project and the goals?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

The following items need to be mentioned:
- LiveCD screen
- Grub theme
- usplash theme
- GDM theme
- KDM theme
- Gnome splash
- Ksplash theme
- Gnome icon theme
- KDE icon theme (not sure if it's the same format as Gnome's)
- Wallpaper
- Gnome theme (GTK, Metacity)
- KDE style
- KDE color scheme
- Fonts
- Logo
- Applications splash screens (OpenOffice for instance)
- Applications themes (Firefox for instance)
- CD artwork (the artwork printed on the CD itself)
- DVD case artwork
- Screensaver

Have a look at this (Fedora) for instance:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/ThemingOverview
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/FC7Themes

Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

MAN those are some HELPFUL links!!! :D

say... is there an easy way to add stuff to wikimint? I can't seem to figure out how to write up some stuff about mintArt... that may be because I have insufficient permissions... never used a wiki for anything but reading tho...
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Yep Fedora 7 is light years ahead of any distro in having a strong brand and excellent artwork.

I mentioned it to Clem about getting mint to that point at some time. And this is an excellent opportunity to do that.
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

agreed... absolutely...

I know my way around graphics editing... I'm no pro, but I think I can make a nice contribution... now if I could only learn my way around gimp... :) (it's been photoshop and coreldraw only up to this point)
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Hehe, well if you know photoshop you'll pick up gimp. I'm in your boat in that area. I really like the open source movement and I'm trying to make the full jump in my artwork.
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

As far as I know, they have an excellent full time art department. The community pitches in and helps out with alot of the artwork also. It's a really good symbiotic relationship, between the company and community.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

bah .... with carlos in here we can beat them anytime... and I'll pitch in with some skins and stuff :D

we just need to be a tad organised so that in some certain time we actually come to a decision what logo we're gonna use etc...
facade47

Post by facade47 »

Cool!! I hope Linux Mint can achieve the level of sophistication that Fedora Core has with its art and brand recognition
I'm so happy I found this distro :D
dlkreations

Re: What is mintArt

Post by dlkreations »

phoenixlinux wrote:I'd like to see a tutorial on how to install a theme I download. I don't even know what "GTK" is, when I'm at the linuxmint art website I don't know which I need to download and install...
If you're using Gnome click the link titled Themes, and choose GTK 2.x, then download any themes that look good to you. Once download has completed, you can right-click on your desktop and choose Change Desktop Background. Click the tab that says Theme, click Customise and locate the place where you downloaded your theme. Choose it and click Ok. The theme should install. If it has a wallpaper, it may ask you if you want to apply it. That part is totally up to you.

From what I read, I believe GTK stands for Gimp ToolKit, or something like that. Here is a wiki page on it.

Hope that helps.
eric52

Post by eric52 »

I encourage your efforts in this important endeavor. For those who code, an OS is a kernel with well wrought layers and modules. The general public never sees any of that, especially Windows users. They will never play with Python. They may never use the command line. As far as most are concerned, the background image and the theme IS the OS, and the rest just makes it work. A few will realize that the desktop environment is their playground. The market that Mint and any other OS needs is focused on appearance, and mintArt will ensure the success of the OS probably more than any other feature. Good Luck!
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Got excited by this thread, then noticed most of the content is years old. If anyone is still on the case with this, it's worth seeing what's already out there.

This is a cracking logo, much better than the current one, but just close enough not to lose the link with the existing brand identity I feel.

Another nice one. Not so keen on the text, but a nice leaf and cool colours. Combine these pastel gradients with the logo above, and you've got a winner.
These colours could also be nice for the website. Much easier on the eye than the current ones, IMO.

Return to “Your Artwork”