Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mgold1
Level 1
Level 1

New install fails to load

Post by mgold1 »

I just installed LM 17 from the live cd after testing it out for a while. I'm still running 14, so I made a new partition on my hard drive and it installed with no error. After rebooting, a new GRUB came up and I selected 17. I wound up with a Mint logo in the middle of the screen and nothing more. I never get to the desktop or even a prompt. I thought it might be my video card - an nVidia GeForece 8400GS - so I tried various things like changing the boot parameters to "nomodeset xforcevesa", but that had no effect. I had no problems with the video running off the live CD, so I really was guessing.

I would appreciate any help.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: New install fails to load

Post by karlchen »

Hello, mgold1.

When trying to boot the installed Linux Mint 17 again: In the same place where you added "nomodeset xforcevesa", remove "quiet splash" at boot time. This will make the boot process be really talkative and you may have a chance to read the last message on the screen before the boot process stops or fails.

In addition, you might boot the Mint 17 live system again, run

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
and post the output here for inspection. Maybe someone will detect a hardware component which may cause problems on Mint 17. (usual suspect: Nvidia GeForce 8500GS or its driver software)

Kind regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

mgold1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mgold1 »

karlchen wrote:Hello, mgold1.

When trying to boot the installed Linux Mint 17 again: In the same place where you added "nomodeset xforcevesa", remove "quiet splash" at boot time. This will make the boot process be really talkative and you may have a chance to read the last message on the screen before the boot process stops or fails.

In addition, you might boot the Mint 17 live system again, run

inxi -Fxz
and post the output here for inspection. Maybe someone will detect a hardware component which may cause problems on Mint 17. (usual suspect: Nvidia GeForce 8500GS or its driver software)

Kind regards,
Karl
OK, I did that and here are my results. The boot process stops when it reads, "Starting MDM Display Manager" with "fail" at the end of the line. There are some other fails, but I will include them in a later post if necessary.

I booted to the CD and ran inxi -Fxz.

mint@mint ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: mint Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine:   Mobo: ASRock model: 970 Extreme4 Bios: American Megatrends version: P1.70 date: 03/27/2012
CPU:       Quad core AMD FX-4100 (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 30960.6 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1400.00 MHz 2: 1400.00 MHz 3: 1400.00 MHz 4: 1400.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G98 [GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 2] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau Resolution: 1680x1050@59.9hz, 1680x1050@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV98 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller 
           driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: b000 bus-ID: 07:00.0
           IF: eth1 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           Card-2: ADMtek NC100 Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100 driver: tulip ver: 1.1.15 port: d000 bus-ID: 04:05.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1002.2GB (0.1% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD5000AAKX size: 500.1GB temp: 37C 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: ST3500630AS size: 500.1GB temp: 37C 3: USB id: /dev/sdc model: DataTraveler_2.0 size: 2.0GB temp: 0C 
Partition: ID: / size: 3.9G used: 58M (2%) fs: overlayfs ID: swap-1 size: 9.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 16.8C mobo: N/A gpu: 43.0 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 172 Uptime: 6 min Memory: 575.0/7962.4MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
I see where it says "FAILED: nouveau". How should I proceed?

I very much appreciate your help

Michael

mgold1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mgold1 »

Does anybody have an answer to this? I am completely stuck right now. I have Googled this and everything has lead to a dead end.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

Hello mgold1.

Sorry for not following up on this thread. :oops: Too bad no-one else chimed in. Strange, because the same problem has been reported int the Mint forums in the past a few times.
Maybe googling for "Mint +MDM +does +not +start site:linuxmint.com" will return better results. - No warranty given.
I'll try to come back tonight and check whether any progress has been made in this thread so you will not have to bump it after another week.

Cheers,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

mgold1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mgold1 »

I tried the search as you suggested, but I failed to come up with anything new. All the suggestions fail for various reasons and I wind up chasing my tail.

Is there a way to install Mint using LightDM instead of MDM? Also, I have removed nouveau and changed my video driver on my LM14. (WARNING: potential dumb question coming.) Will that have any influence if I was able to launch the install from my 14 desktop?
Last edited by mgold1 on Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer »

This is just a shot in the dark, but try just adding "nomodeset" to your boot params (no quotes and with a space before it of course). On the off chance that it does work (you'll be in "software rendering mode") start driver manager and see if it suggests a new driver ( tagged as "recommended"). If it does, select it, apply and when it's done do a restart. Since it's nVidia there will be 2 more steps after that but see if you get that far.

(i.e. running "nvidia-xconfig", rebooting again and then running nVidia Xserver Settings from your main menu).
"There is no gravity, the earth sucks." - Issac Newton @ 75
KDE & Cinnamon 18.1 & Win 10 - ASUS M5A99FX PRO MB, AMD FX-8370 Octo-Core CPU, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 240

mgold1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mgold1 »

I tried the nomodeset parameter. The loading stops at "Starting MDM display manager...........fail".

gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer »

There's a way to boot up to a root shell aka command line (since it sounds like you're not even getting to that point). But I'm not exactly sure where to go from there. Installing an nVidia driver from there is possible but not exactly easy if you've never done it before. I'd have to figure out exactly what to tell apt-get for it. Have to see if I can look up the driver for your card.

I'm wondering if it's possible your xorg.config file might be causing your boot up to get "stuck". We could delete that file from the root shell command line but I'd like to see what others come up with before we try that route. Driver Manager would be the best option to try for a graphics driver update if we can get that far.
"There is no gravity, the earth sucks." - Issac Newton @ 75
KDE & Cinnamon 18.1 & Win 10 - ASUS M5A99FX PRO MB, AMD FX-8370 Octo-Core CPU, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 240

mgold1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mgold1 »

I was able to look, there is no xorg file.

Laugh2
Level 3
Level 3

Mint 17 Re: New install fails to load

Post by Laugh2 »

Hi, I'm having exactly the same problem with my laptop:
  • Linux Mint 17-64bit MATE (LM17)
    Dell Latitude D630 laptop with 4MB RAM (Core2 Duo cpu)
    nVidia Quadro NVS 135M graphics
    Seagate Laptop Thin SSHD 500GB (hybrid HDD) (new)
    dual booting with Windows Vista (which came free with the laptop)
The md5sum of the download was correct and I had also installed LM17 on my spare desktop from this Live USB stick. I can boot and test from both Live USB and Live DVD on the laptop. However, I couldn't install from the Live USB (refer my post http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p949841), which is why I burnt the Live DVD.

The Live DVD lets me test and install LM17, however, booting appears to freeze at the following step (this and other messages can be seen if the left arrow key is pushed while the Mint symbol is showing on the screen while booting [some other keys also do this]):
  • "Starting MDM Display Manager [fail]"
If left alone long enough e.g. 5 to 10 mintutes, then booting continues only to freeze with the following message:
  • "Stopping anac(h)ronistic cron [ OK ]"
with no further progress even after 10 to 15 minutes. If I then hit CTRL+ALT+DEL then the system instantly comes to life, streams plenty of messages and restarts into GRUB where I can choose to start LM17, memory tests, or Vista.

I thought the nVidia card might be causing the difficulties. I tried the "nomodeset" parameter in GRUB, which didn't help. I then hoped to get updated nVidia drivers, so in GRUB I chose the recovery option and then chose the root prompt option. From the root prompt I tried advice I found at:
After the passord I entered "sudo apt-get install nvidia-detect" but got the following messages:
  • sudo: unable to start /etc/sudoers: No such file or directory
    sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting
    sudo: unable to initialise policy plugin
Can anyone help? :?:

PS: I have been using LM13-64bit MATE on this laptop with another of these HDD's (same manufacturer and model) for over a year, so I hadn't expected significant difficulties.

Laugh2
Level 3
Level 3

Workaround Re: New install fails to load

Post by Laugh2 »

Following on from my previous post... I downloaded Linux Mint 17.1 RC (LM17.1rc) and used UNetBootIn to create a Live USB stick (the same USB stick used above). The first attempt didn't work giving the message "no boot" (or similar). I then formatted the USB stick and used UNetBootIn again, which worked perfectly :D and I could boot from the Live USB stick. (The Dell D630 laptop with nVidia graphics is described in my posting above.)

Everything worked perfectly and the installation of LM17.1rc began by clicking the desktop icon. I deleted and created new partitions (which deleted the LM17 installation of the last few days) and the installation proceeded like a dream. After the installation the reboot into GRUB and selection of LM17.1rc worked first time. :D perfect.

Also, my duel boot to Vista (which came free with the laptop) worked perfectly too :D. Whatever the developers did between LM17 and LM17.1rc fixed the problems. Great, thank you.

Return to “Installation & Boot”