Installing a kernel

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
poliltimmy
Level 1
Level 1

Installing a kernel

Post by poliltimmy »

I upgraded to Rebecca via Update Manager. It installed the 3.13.0-36 kernel. The Update Manager says 13.3.0-37 is recommended. With the *-36 kernel I can have games in crossover run smoothly or a splash screen, but apparently not both. With the Nvidia driver, I have a splash and games are jerky. With nouveau I have smooth games, but only a black screen an 4 dots. Everything works booting into the *-24 kernel. The Update Manager says 13.3.0-37 is recommended. If I try the *-37 kernel that has recommended checked, to try to solve this problem, will I retain the *-24 kernel? Will it be under previous versions in boot as it is now? I already know how to make *-24 the default if updating the kernel fails to deliver the desired result. Thanks, Timmy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Installing a kernel

Post by JeremyB »

Until you uninstall a kernel it should be available in grub menu. I think -41 is out there now, it could be the fix you need
poliltimmy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by poliltimmy »

That kernel is not on the list. Did you mean -40?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Re: Installing a kernel

Post by JeremyB »

poliltimmy wrote:That kernel is not on the list. Did you mean -40?
Refresh the lists in update manager, I saw this on ubuntuforums today

Code: Select all

Linux 3.13.0-41-generic #70-Ubuntu
poliltimmy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by poliltimmy »

Not even reinstalling mintupdate brought up the -41 kernel. The -37 same as -36, no difference, between the two, on any driver. Looks like it's -24 without Nvidia for me. But hey, I am not afraid of kernels any longer. :D

Return to “Hardware Support”