Which partitions belong to Windows 7?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Joshual1177

Post by Joshual1177 »

So I am dual booting Windows 7 and Linux Mint 17.1 MATE. When I installed MATE, I let the installer partition my hard drive for me. I am now thinking I want to install Cinnamon and replace MATE and still be able to dual boot into Windows. How would I know which partitions belong to Windows so I don't lose any data?

What would be the steps to take to install and replace MATE with Cinnamon? Would I just boot from the Cinnamon live USB and choose other options to manually partition my hard drive?

I would appreciate any help. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Which partitions belong to Windows 7?

Post by Pierre »

the MATE and Cinnamon are both DEs - so simply install the Cinnamon environment,
- from synaptic

- you don't have to re-install the Mint O/S at all.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

How would I know which partitions belong to Windows so I don't lose any data?
By posting the output of sudo parted -l and then someone here telling you.
nerdtron

Post by nerdtron »

Joshual1177 wrote: What would be the steps to take to install and replace MATE with Cinnamon? Would I just boot from the Cinnamon live USB and choose other options to manually partition my hard drive?

I would appreciate any help. Thanks.
Boot into the Cinnamon Live CD, when installing, choose the "Something Else" option which will lead you to the manual partitioning screen.

You'll see there all you partitions, more importantly, one partition will be ext4 and another small one (probably the size of your ram) will be swap.

Click the ext4 partition and click change. Set it as ext4, mount point as "/" and format it. Click the swap partition and set it as swap just to make sure).

On the lower part of the partitioner, there is an option for boot loader installation be sure it says there /dev/sda or /dev/sdb and NOT /dev/sda1 or/dev/sdb.

You can now proceed with the installation replacing MATE with Cinnamon.
If you are not still sure, post the screenshot here and we'll tell you if it is correct.
Joshual1177

Post by Joshual1177 »

Pierre wrote:the MATE and Cinnamon are both DEs - so simply install the Cinnamon environment,
- from synaptic

- you don't have to re-install the Mint O/S at all.
Really? That's it?
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

I advise that you don't install Cinnamon over the top of MATE. Having more than one desktop installed simultaneously often results in duplicate programs and other difficulties.
Joshual1177

Post by Joshual1177 »

Buzzsaw wrote:I advise that you don't install Cinnamon over the top of MATE. Having more than one desktop installed simultaneously often results in duplicate programs and other difficulties.
Ok thanks.
Joshual1177

Post by Joshual1177 »

Buzzsaw wrote:
How would I know which partitions belong to Windows so I don't lose any data?
By posting the output of sudo parted -l and then someone here telling you.
Here are my partitions:

[img]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12 ... 2d67dd.jpg[/img]

I would like to know which ones I can format and install Mint Cinnamon to.
nerdtron

Post by nerdtron »

The two partitions on the bottom. the 100GB ext4 partition and the 2GB swap partition.

See my previous reply when your are already on the "Something Else" of the Mint Installer.
Joshual1177

Post by Joshual1177 »

[img]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12 ... 46da2c.jpg[/img]

The one highlighted is where Linux mint is installed?

/dev/sda5 would be where the OS would be installed?
/dev/sda6 would be the new Linux swap?
nerdtron

Post by nerdtron »

The one highlighted (/dev/sda4) is the extended partition partition which breaks into two logical patitions:

/dev/sda5 - Mint partition
/dev/sda6 - swap
Joshual1177

Post by Joshual1177 »

Joshual1177

Post by Joshual1177 »

I installed Cinnamon and I have to say that it is noticeably slower than MATE. My pc has only 2 GB RAM. But it is more beautiful and easy to customize than MATE.
Joshual1177

Post by Joshual1177 »

I switched over to Mint 17 XFCE. The main reason I am using Linux Mint is so that I am able to stream videos smoothly. Videos are too slow and not smooth on Win 7. But with XFCE and MATE I can watch YouTube videos full screen at 720p with virtually no lag or stuttering.

I will probably end up buying more RAM so I am able to reinstall Cinnamon and enjoy all the features of it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”