Post by Brahim Salem »

I suggest this wallpaper to be included in linux mint14
Attachments
Cinnamon Maya.jpg
Cinnamon Maya.jpg (458.96 KiB) Viewed 19444 times

Brahim Salem

Re: Keep your wallpapers Open Source!

Post by Brahim Salem »

I suggest this wallpaper for the next release of linux mint. I named it Crystal Mint (for ICS theme). What do you think?
Attachments
Crystal Mint (for ICS theme)   .jpg
Crystal Mint (for ICS theme) .jpg (485.81 KiB) Viewed 19410 times

dogsolitude_uk
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Keep your wallpapers Open Source! What about Photography

Post by dogsolitude_uk »

Quick question: supposing I take a macro photo of some mint in my back garden, and want to submit it as-is (i.e. just the photo, no layers, no text, no vector shapes or anything), would a .tif, a .raw or a .jpg be acceptable in those circumstances?

Creto
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Creto »

Some jobs:

http://www.linuxmint.com.br/modules/dok ... allpapers6

I am Brazilian and I have a very bad english, so few words
:roll:

T+ = bye

myface64
Level 3
Level 3

Post by myface64 »

I am using old MGI Photo Suite 4. I love it. The layers manipulation is amazing, I use .png or .jpg to edit a photo. No need the layers to cut out some portion of a photo and apply to another. If I will want to edit someone photo, I will ask for permition. We need a "photo open source web" site, where some upload a photo to it with understanding, that the photo contents can be change. There is a bunch of web site,, that you can upload a photo - I use imgur.
My username is "nodestination". You can download,print the photo, but you will still need the author permition to edit the photo.
Create the web site or portion of forum for Mint open source artwork.

tgm1024
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tgm1024 »

If I spent a long time on a wallpaper design, the very last thing in the world I would do is release the components for it for free.

That seems ridiculous to me. Where's the advantage?
Don't mistake my lack of reply for some kind of acceptance of your half-baked arguments.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

The advantage is that other can build upon what you have made and the results can benefit all of us. The advantage is that we will all have more options and nicer wallpapers.
Have you heard of open source software? It's like that.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin »

tgm1024 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:42 pm
If I spent a long time on a wallpaper design, the very last thing in the world I would do is release the components for it for free.
Yet presumably you are happy to use a free operating system, despite many people having spent a lot of time and effort to develop it.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

tgm1024 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:42 pm

That seems ridiculous to me. Where's the advantage?
Go for it - see how much people are willing to pay . . . . good luck with that since there is so much FREE wallpaper out there and pretty good stuff too.

tgm1024
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tgm1024 »

cliffcoggin wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:06 pm
Yet presumably you are happy to use a free operating system, despite many people having spent a lot of time and effort to develop it.
..........................and.....so? There a point in there somewhere?

majpooper wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:15 pm
Go for it - see how much people are willing to pay . . . . good luck with that since there is so much FREE wallpaper out there and pretty good stuff too.
I didn't say I was in the business.

And please pay attention. We were talking about releasing all the components of the image that make it up rather than the flattened final product (the "layers/objects/text" elements referred to by the OP). Those components would be grabbed by someone else to what? Take all the credit for the originator's work?
Don't mistake my lack of reply for some kind of acceptance of your half-baked arguments.

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot »

tgm1024 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:12 pm
Take all the credit for the originator's work?
That's exactly NOT how almost every open source license works.

When you create something, you're the creator of it, and that can not be changed.

Usage is a different thing.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

tgm1024 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:12 pm
Those components would be grabbed by someone else to what? Take all the credit for the originator's work?
Like I said: to build upon. Please pay attention. :wink:
Funny how you only respond to remarks that you think you can easily refute! It almost makes me think you're not arguing in good faith... :?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Artwork”