How to see if an Update installed successfully

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Incentive I.C
Level 4
Level 4

How to see if an Update installed successfully

Post by Incentive I.C »

Sorry if this is a dumb question but i was just wondering if there is a way to see if an update installed successfully. My AC adapter got loose and the computer shut down during an update. Just wondering if those packages are broken/corrupt.
The best way to learn from it is break it OS's (is there a plural for OS?) included.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: How to see if an Update installed successfully

Post by WharfRat »

Incentive I.C wrote:Sorry if this is a dumb question but i was just wondering if there is a way to see if an update installed successfully. My AC adapter got loose and the computer shut down during an update. Just wondering if those packages are broken/corrupt.
Try upgrading again

Code: Select all

sudo apt upgrade
ImageImage

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx »

WharfRat wrote:
Incentive I.C wrote:Sorry if this is a dumb question but i was just wondering if there is a way to see if an update installed successfully. My AC adapter got loose and the computer shut down during an update. Just wondering if those packages are broken/corrupt.
Try upgrading again

Code: Select all

sudo apt upgrade
Wharf - he said he was updating not upgrading...
<if it matters>
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Incentive I.C wrote: if an update installed successfully
I took that to mean upgrade as an update doesn't install anything :?
ImageImage

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx »

WharfRat wrote:
Incentive I.C wrote: if an update installed successfully
I took that to mean upgrade as an update doesn't install anything :?
I think of updates and upgrades as both installing something i.e. a new version of the package in question... I think of updates as involving minor revisions (bug fixes and security fixes of a specific version of package) and therefore no real change in function/features while upgrades involve major revisions (like a version change) which likely includes changes in function/features... Although I don't know that apt cares about these subtleties... :lol:

Image Image

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

Reorx,

When running updates to the system, it's actually a combination of two commands that happens: sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade.

sudo apt-get update -- just refreshes package list and finds anything new that's available to be updated, but doesn't actually perform the installing of those updates.

sudo apt-get upgrade -- actually installs the packages that are found above.

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -- think this is what you might be confusing with regular "upgrade".

See man apt-get for more details.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx »

Excellent! :mrgreen:

Thanx Goldie! 8)

Image Image

WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Post by WinterTroubles »

Guys--
we have an update manager and most of us non guru types refer to the things the update manager installs as updates, it may not be technically correct, but as long as we use mintupdate to install package revisions then logically we are updating...

Mayhaps this is what the OP is referring to and seeks assistance with? Unfortunately I can only 'translate' and not provide the actual answer.
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

WinterTroubles wrote:Guys--
we have an update manager and most of us non guru types refer to the things the update manager installs as updates, it may not be technically correct, but as long as we use mintupdate to install package revisions then logically we are updating...

Mayhaps this is what the OP is referring to and seeks assistance with? Unfortunately I can only 'translate' and not provide the actual answer.
True and understandable. But, if there were something wrong with the updates then running sudo apt-get upgrade in a terminal would show it and possibly offer a solution to problem. Or, it would complete any unfinished updates. If no error is shown, then the updates must have went through fine. (Could probably just run mintupdate again and accomplish same thing -- although that would also find any new updates available since the last update.)

Perhaps we should be asking OP if there is some reason he/she thinks updates didn't work?
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Post by WinterTroubles »

gold-finger

Your point is well made and, after excellent advice from all of you in the past, I had no reason to doubt any advice given to the OP. It was simply a case of having read this post for my own education I found it entirely unclear if WharfRat's initial advice was being endorsed or not.

It was probably completely unnecessary, but, I felt a personal need to clear things up for the OP when they return.. Just can't stop myself sticking my nose in where it's not needed :oops: :lol:
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

WinterTroubles wrote:Just can't stop myself sticking my nose in where it's not needed :oops: :lol:
No worries. Sorry for the confusion and it's not a bad thing to point out when explanation is not clear enough.

Return to “Newbie Questions”