Unable to extract .tar.gz file in GUI

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Unable to extract .tar.gz file in GUI

Post by Fred Barclay »

I just moved over from Rebecca MATE to LMDE Cinnamon. Love it--it's so much faster than Rebecca, even on xfce or mate. I've had a few issues, but none that a reboot or a little hacking hasn't fixed. :D However, I am unable to extract a .tar.gz file from within the gui. I can right-click it and select "Extract here" option, but it runs "eric5.5.2" or something to that effect (sorry, I'm away from it right now) and then exits with the message "An error occured while extracting files. Error setting owner: operation not permitted"
I did successfully extract it by running

Code: Select all

tar -zxvf eric5.5.2.tar.gz
but I would like to be able to do this from the GUI too! Thanks for your help!
UPDATE: no problem extracting plain .tar files, only .tar.gz. Hmm... :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
py-thon

Re: Unable to extract .tar.gz file in GUI

Post by py-thon »

If it wasn't a problem of lacking the rights to write or read in that folder my guess is that it's a bug in file-roller or nemo-fileroller as you are not the first to have that problem: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=162238 . It says solved in the spanish section, but only because the TS used a different program to uncompress the tar.gz
Or maybe the problem is that the tar.gz is no tar.gz like in https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=98278 .
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

I should have no rights problem as I am admin and this is in my /home/fred/Downloads directory.
!No hablo espanol! I've tried but just can't get the hang of it... Nice language though if you can speak it!
Can you translate the solution for me? Gracia, senor (or senorita).
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I use this all the time . . :)
1) https://translate.google.com/

2) I don't know if this deb file will work in Cinnamon (GTK 2.2) but it may be worth looking into ???

http://peazip.sourceforge.net/peazip-linux.html

good luck,
richy
py-thon

Post by py-thon »

Fred Barclay wrote:Can you translate the solution for me?
As I said it's no help. The threadstarter there used a different program to solve this somewhat like you did using terminal. engrampa in MATE 1.8 (can't tell you about 1.6, which is LMDE's current MATE-version) works fine with tar.gz if you want to try that. There do not seem too many dependencies to other MATE-packages, so it should work fine on a Cinnamon DE.
File a bug report. Cinnamon is made by Mint developers, they should fix this.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

richyrich: peazip GTK2 had unmet dependencies that I didn't want to fix, but peazip Qt said it installed fine. Only problem is I can't find it!

py-thon: installed engrampa but can't find it either.

Maybe I'd just better stick with terminal???
- Albert Einstein
py-thon

Post by py-thon »

Fred Barclay wrote:installed engrampa but can't find it either.
What do you mean? Isn't it in the menu after installing?
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

No, it's not in the menu. Does it maybe go by a different name?
- Albert Einstein

Return to “LMDE Archive”