installed LM in legacy mode: reinstall in efi mode?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

installed LM in legacy mode: reinstall in efi mode?

Post by xfrank »

Hi all. I din't notice that my laptop was set in legacy mode first (I bought it new without any OS, only freedos) and installed LM17 Xfce. All went fine, LM is booting flawlessly (altought, as usual, not fast).
The question is: worth the hassle to reinstall LM in efi mode? Or let the OS in legacy (no issues, all is OK). I did read somewhere that efi mode allow a slightly faster boot (few seconds).
To install and tweak the system again would take me half a day.
Active Distros in my computers: LM19.3 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce); SparkyLinux (Xfce); Manjaro (Xfce)
gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Re: installed LM in legacy mode: reinstall in efi mode?

Post by gold_finger »

I don't have a UEFI computer so can't say whether or not UEFI mode would boot faster, but have an idea for you.

If (and only if) your drive is already using GPT partitions, you could shrink one of the partitions to make room for a second install and do that second one in UEFI mode to test it out and see what the difference is before bothering to wipe out what you've already got. If you don't have GPT partitions already, then wait for answer from someone who has tested both ways and knows if there is any major difference in boot time. (If you currently have MBR/msdos partitions, you would have to wipe out your existing partitions to do the UEFI install because it needs to be on a GPT disk.)

Run this command in terminal to find out what type of partitions are now on disk:

Code: Select all

sudo parted -l
(Command ends in a lowercase letter "L".)

Look under the disk you want to install to for the line "Partition Table: XXXXX". You'll see either "msdos" or "gpt" in place of the "XXXXX".

If you do have GPT partitions, you'll need to boot the live Mint disk in UEFI mode to do the install. For test purposes, you'll only need to make two additional partitions in the free space you made:
* One small FAT32 partition -- 500MB -- during installation, it will have Mount Point = /boot/efi
* One Root partition -- 15GB -- Ext4
* The install will reuse your current Swap partition, so don't make another one.

You can make those partitions ahead of time in GParted, or during the installation -- whatever way you prefer is fine. For general guidance, follow this tutorial -- but just skip over all Windows (dual-boot) related stuff and go straight to how to install: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126.

When done, you should go into UEFI settings and change it to use UEFI mode for booting. Then it will boot into the new system. To get back to the old Mint installation, reset settings for Legacy/CSM booting. If you think UEFI looks worth switching to, then make any necessary backups of current system, wipe disk and make your new partitions however you want. (Make the first partition the FAT32 partition described above; then make others as you wish.)
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

thanks goldfinger, I have only msdos partitions:

Code: Select all

xfrank-Lenovo-G40-30 xfrank # parted -l
Modelo: ATA ST500LT012-1DG14 (scsi)
Disco /dev/sda: 500GB
Tamaño de sector (lógico/físico): 512B/4096B
Tabla de particiones. msdos

Numero  Inicio  Fin     Tamaño  Tipo     Sistema de archivos  Banderas
 1      1049kB  525MB   524MB   primary  ext2                 arranque
 2      525MB   26.7GB  26.2GB  primary  ext4
 3      26.7GB  498GB   471GB   primary  ext4
 4      498GB   500GB   2097MB  primary  linux-swap(v1)
My boot time is 26 seconds from cold start to password prompt. Not very fast, but I ever had this kind of boot times with Mint. Since all the system work fine, I'm not sure if is worth to install it again.
Anyway, I have no fetish for super performance in boot, more important for me is the responsiveness of the system. Linux Mint as usual is a champ in this field (expecially with Xfce).
Active Distros in my computers: LM19.3 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce); SparkyLinux (Xfce); Manjaro (Xfce)
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

xfrank wrote:The question is: worth the hassle to reinstall LM in efi mode?
Short answer: No. Be happy with your legacy (aka BIOS)-mode and stay with it.

Long answer:
In theory EFI should be quicker in booting, as this can be done without a boot-loader. I did some test a year ago with a very new computer and did one after the other an installation of Mint with UEFI and in legacy mode. Difference: not noticeable.
On the other site, (U)EFI is as good as it is implemented in the computer. And this is the problem. There have been wrong implementations of the firmware on several brands, resulting in a defective PC, which had to be returned to the manufacturer; at least in one case this also happened with a Windows installation. It turned out, that wrong implementations of UEFI were the origin.

There are also many doubts, if EFI is the right way. Remarkable is an older statement of Linus Torvalds, naming it a brain-damage.

IMO there is only one reason to install in UEFI-mode: If there is a dual-boot-system with Windows (especially W8.x). In this case the user has in many cases no choice.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

Thanks Cosmo,clear and helpful explanation. I will stay in bios mode, as I can notice that all is working flawlessly. :)

LM is an amazing distro, the best linux, imho. :P

Return to “Installation & Boot”