{SOLVED}Mint 17.1 appears in my prefrences in update mgr

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ES44AC8102
Level 4
Level 4

{SOLVED}Mint 17.1 appears in my prefrences in update mgr

Post by ES44AC8102 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:39 pm

Is my understanding correct that at some point it will show up as an update in the main Update Mgr window?

Happy New Year

"ES"
Last edited by ES44AC8102 on Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Mint 17.1 appears in my prefrences in update mgr

Post by Fred Barclay » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:53 pm

Not quite. This link explains what to expect. (Note, if you have the Cinnamon or MATE desktop the 17.1 upgrade is already out. Xfce and Kde will be out soon.)
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2725
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

ES44AC8102
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ES44AC8102 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:34 pm

Fred Barclay wrote:Not quite. This link explains what to expect. (Note, if you have the Cinnamon or MATE desktop the 17.1 upgrade is already out. Xfce and Kde will be out soon.)
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2725
Thanks, Fred,

I have Cinnamon so I can wait. No issues to speak of so I don't really need to 'fix' anything that I know of,

Cheers,

"ES"

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:35 pm

Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

glhallway
Level 1
Level 1

Post by glhallway » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:26 pm

I did the upgrade from Cinnamon17 to 17.1 and it is well worth it smoother, faster, and so far no problems at all. I did have some video problems (glitching and freezing) with 17 but after I installed 17.1 and the NVIDIA update all is working better.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:33 pm

I agree. I know the team said not to update unless you had a reason to, but I did it for fun anyway--and besides, I like having newer things. I have an old Samsung dumb phone (not smart phone) that Quiana couldn't/wouldn't connect to via usb. Rebecca had no issue connecting. That alone made the swap worthwhile!
However, Mint 17x proved too slow on my system so I tried LMDE. It was much faster with Cinnamon than 17 was with Xfce/MATE, and the phone still connected, so I moved over.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

peterldg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by peterldg » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:18 pm

Any differences on Debian that you notice?

I may try the Debian version-

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:43 am

First of all, remember that LMDE is not as updated as Mint 17x. For example, my desktop, Cinnamon, is in 2.0, while in Quiana it is 2.2 and in Rebecca 2.4. So if you want the newest system, moving to LMDE is probably not such a great idea.
One more warning is that LMDE is not fully compatible with Ubuntu, like the main Mint is. They're both debian-based, but the main Mint can use applications specifically tailored to Ubuntu. LMDE can't always. However, this is usually not a problem, since Debian is so common.

With that disclaimer out of the way, LMDE on my hardware is a great deal faster than Mint ever was. On Mint, I had to use the Xfce or MATE desktops because Cinnamon was too slow. Even then, there wasn't much of a difference. When I moved to LMDE, I decided to try Cinnamon again and was quite pleasantly surprised to find it extremely fast. My hardware is rather old, so you shouldn't have as much trouble on newer things. I also like Debian being the base, as I don't support all of Canonical's decisions, and I felt that having something that was based on Debian and therefore more easily hackable (in my opinion) than Ubuntu gave me more flexibility and freedom to make changes. (Please note that I use "hack" to refer to writing code or changing the configuration of the system, and not in the sense of "cracking" or black-hat hacking.)

Moving to LMDE was a chance for me to learn more of the inner workings of Debian and still have the convenience and friendliness of Mint. But to be honest, I can't tell much of a difference. The Mint team has done a great job making LMDE identical (well, almost) to the main Mint--if it weren't for some applications being older and some of the inner files (that you won't run accross anyway unless you're hacking your system) being in different locations, I wouldn't know that I was using LMDE instead of Mint. This means I don't have the same trouble I might have had in Debian with proprietary applications, and the same applications that are in the Mint software mananger are in the LMDE software manager. The slightly outdated software should largely be fixed when LMDE Betsy comes out sometime next year. Anyhow, older software is often more stable; and has had more time to mature and be fixed by others in the community.
Ultimately, it's a matter of personal preference. I liked a faster system that wasn't based on Ubuntu, and did everything I'd come to expect from Mint. LMDE fit the bill, and I fell in love with it. You may find that LMDE is not to your tastes or needs, or you may like it. Just try it!
- Albert Einstein

peterldg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by peterldg » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:00 am

Thanks! I'll try- I have a bunch of old hardware sitting around. XFCE was my goto install for these machines- I'll try LMDE on one of them- see how it works out.

Return to “Newbie Questions”