Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Husse

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Post by Husse »

Some small observations
During install it says Installed language-pack gnome - looks a bit funny but I suppose we use the gnome ones
At first login I got "Added user user_name" also a bit funny since a user is (seemingly) created during install
And talking of mintAssistant - is the root password bug still there? Or rather a random pwd set if I don't set one?
The keys to start Firefox and Thunderbird on my Logitech keyboard does not work which they do in Elyssa main
And I got the messages about network manager at shutdown - but I get that in main now also
Haven't tried it much though - got to get email working in both main and KDE first (easy to do, but has to be done)
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

Make sure your video drivers are up-to-date. Run Envy.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

Mint Backup is not included with the KDE version?
brando569

Post by brando569 »

Another thing I forgot to mention is that my bootup screen is too small for the screen, my normal resolution is 1680x1050 and im assuming thats what usplash uses but it only takes up about 3/4 of the screen leaving a black one inch border around it.

Husse wrote:Some small observations
At first login I got "Added user user_name" also a bit funny since a user is (seemingly) created during install
I noticed that also but dismissed it as nothing.

Husse wrote:And I got the messages about network manager at shutdown - but I get that in main now also
Haven't tried it much though - got to get email working in both main and KDE first (easy to do, but has to be done)
Ive almost always gotten those in both Kubuntu or Mint KDE

im not sure if this is specific to this beta or not but ive never seen it before and I was using kubuntu 8.04 right before i switched over to the beta of this.

Code: Select all

Setting up libsensors4 (1:3.0.0-4ubuntu1) ...
udev active, devices will be created in /dev/.static/dev/
rm: cannot remove `i2c-0-': Read-only file system
mknod: `i2c-0-': Read-only file system
makedev i2c-0 c 89 0 root root 0600: failed
rm: cannot remove `i2c-0-': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove `i2c-1-': Read-only file system
mknod: `i2c-1-': Read-only file system
makedev i2c-1 c 89 1 root root 0600: failed
rm: cannot remove `i2c-1-': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove `i2c-2-': Read-only file system
mknod: `i2c-2-': Read-only file system
makedev i2c-2 c 89 2 root root 0600: failed
rm: cannot remove `i2c-2-': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove `i2c-3-': Read-only file system
mknod: `i2c-3-': Read-only file system
makedev i2c-3 c 89 3 root root 0600: failed
rm: cannot remove `i2c-3-': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove `i2c-4-': Read-only file system
mknod: `i2c-4-': Read-only file system
makedev i2c-4 c 89 4 root root 0600: failed
rm: cannot remove `i2c-4-': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove `i2c-5-': Read-only file system
mknod: `i2c-5-': Read-only file system
makedev i2c-5 c 89 5 root root 0600: failed
rm: cannot remove `i2c-5-': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove `i2c-6-': Read-only file system
mknod: `i2c-6-': Read-only file system
makedev i2c-6 c 89 6 root root 0600: failed
rm: cannot remove `i2c-6-': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove `i2c-7-': Read-only file system
mknod: `i2c-7-': Read-only file system
makedev i2c-7 c 89 7 root root 0600: failed
rm: cannot remove `i2c-7-': Read-only file system

Setting up lm-sensors (1:3.0.0-4ubuntu1) ...

Creating config file /etc/sensors3.conf with new version

Processing triggers for libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Need to make thunderbird default email in firefox

Post by roadrash »

When i clicked on a email link in Firefox it didn't open any email program. I noticed Thunderbird is the default email program but it didn't open. I went into the preferences in Firefox and tried to set Thunderbird as the program to use when opening mailto links but the only options given from the drop down menu were Evolution & Yahoo mail. In the end I had to select the "Use Other" option and eventually found a Thunderbird program starter which was located in the /usr/bin/ directory.
Just wondered if this shouldn't have been set like this from the install seeing as Thunderbird is the default mail application.
roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roadrash »

1. I was able to install Nvidia Drivers for my VGA without any problems(offline installation) unlike the Gnome Version of LinuxMint, Then watched some videos on it and restarted the PC and all hell broke loose, the X wont start , it just appear to load and then crash back to the terminal, this goes on like a loop and i was unable to do anything about it. i was able to fix it by booting with safe mode and selecting the Fix x server option but then my nvidia driver was gone.
I had problems after I installed the Nvidia driver using the restricted drivers installer. Have you tried to install the Nvidia driver using Envy becase that worked for me.
3. I also Encountered the Log out Issue, upon Log Out KDE exits and scrren goes blank and stays like that, until I restart.
Thats interesting, what partitions do you have and are you being asked for a password before it will mount them? because this "log out" problem was cured for me after I sorted the partition mounting issue I was also experiencing so there seemed to be a link there. See my post on this here http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=15745
wuying_ren

Post by wuying_ren »

amla wrote:An excellent piece of work you guys! However I found an annoying bug: for languages other than english (spanish at least), kdm does not show messages in the proper language. Worst, the login fields will render a "wrong password" error if one of them contains non-english characters. I workaround this setting "Language" variable in /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc file and "Xkblayout" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but this should be done automagically.
Hi!

I noticed this bug too. I think kdm wasn't showing messages properly in Daryna too. Anyway, I solved the keyboard problem using the same procedure, and the kdm one setting the correct language for it in kcontrol.
Another thing I forgot to mention is that my bootup screen is too small for the screen, my normal resolution is 1680x1050 and im assuming thats what usplash uses but it only takes up about 3/4 of the screen leaving a black one inch border around it.
Same here. I don't have the problem on my laptop, which uses 1440x900 in X. It's strange because usplash should be using the tty resolution, which I think it's actually 720x400. And it should be the same on both computers, but for some reason it's not showing properly on one of them. I don't have enough time to investigate, any ideas?

I have another problem. aMSN can't log in, but Pidgin works like a charm. I suppose it's an aMSN problem but is anyone able to use it?

By the way, what we should use? Envy or Restricted Driver Manager? For me RDM didn't work, I had to use Envy.

Thanks!
wuying_ren

Post by wuying_ren »

Hi again!

I've just found another "bug". But that's an Ubuntu one, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/217550.

I was trying to synchronize my iPod with Amarok (surprisingly, if you came from Daryna like me, there's nothing to configure, it will just work :D), then I wanted to disconnect it but kdeeject did nothing. I've found this on older versions of Kubuntu and also in other distros. There's a workaround: add your user to the "disk" group. But it should work without doing nothing, this is only for those who need to use an iPod or other devices like pendrives or usb hdd and don't want to wait for the final Elyssa KDE release.

In order to add your user to the "disk" group, open konsole and type this:

sudo gpasswd -a <username> disk
Don't forget to put your username in place of <username>! You must relogin or changes will not be applied.

Hope it's going to be useful!
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

I'm having trouble with the KDE power manager(kde-guidance-powermanager). It shows two procs, but they are both at 0%. I booted the Kubuntu 8.04 CD to check, and it shows them fine. I noticed a difference in package versions. Mint is using kde-guidance-powermanager 0.8.0svn20080103-Obuntu16.1 and Kubuntu is using 0.8.0svn20080103-Obuntu16. Not sure what the channel log is for 16.1, so don't know what the differences are. Also the Mint version does not have support for changing proc speed(performance,powersave,dynamic), and Kubuntu version does. I am using HP dv6815.

00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Memory Controller (rev a2)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 ISA Bridge (rev a2)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP67 SMBus (rev a2)
00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Memory Controller (rev a2)
00:01.3 Co-processor: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Co-processor (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a2)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a2)
00:04.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a2)
00:04.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a2)
00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP67 IDE Controller (rev a1)
00:07.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP67 High Definition Audio (rev a1)
00:08.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP67 AHCI Controller (rev a2)
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Ethernet (rev a2)
00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Express Bridge (rev a2)
00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Express Bridge (rev a2)
00:12.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 7150M (rev a2)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
02:05.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 05)
02:05.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)
02:05.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev 12)
02:05.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 12)
02:05.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev ff)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Very disappointed. Live DVD runs fine but cannot install - numerous installer crashes at partition stage. I have a bog standard current installation of Elyssa gnome on a single HDD partitioned as root, swap and home. Nothing unusual and everything runs fine. Decided to try the kde beta.

First install attempt, the partition manager starts up, searches HDD, gets to 46% then hangs for 5-6 minutes.. So I cancel install and try again. This time I get a Code 10 whatever that is. So I try again and this time I get to the partition screen but it shows /dev/sda as empty (I know it isn't because it has my gnome install on it). It wants me to create new partitions but I don't want to ddo that - I want to use the existing partitions.

So I reboot and try again. This time I get an "Installer Crashes" dialogue with an invite to report the bug to ubiquity, which I do, including the partman and syslog files. I reboot and try again and get the same crash report. Now cannot get even the installer to start.

Very frustrating. I spent hours downloading the dvd for nothing it seems. I have rechecked the sum and it checks out ok.

I am going to burn another copy of the dvd just in case. Anyone got any ideas?

EDIT: Just in case it helps, I rebooted and tried again. Same error report but this time I captured the details:

"Installer Crashed"

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/kde_ui.py", line 2319, in index
childItem = parentItem.child(row)
File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/kde_ui.py", line 2359, in child
return self.childItems[row]
IndexError: list index out of range

SECOND EDIT: Well the Installer/PartMan crash well and truly trashed my HDD. Now I can't boot from the HDD. If I use the live dvd and try sudo fdisk it can't open /dev/sda or sdb, hda/hdb etc. Sudo qtparted says "no device found"??
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

So if someone was bored and had time on their hands,, how would that someone upgrade from KDE Desktop 3.5 to 4.1? Is it thru the repos, is there compiling involved or what?
thxs
darco
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

Just wanted to add that this is another great release... good work boo!!!
same here on my laptop @ 1400x1050... don't really care about it, but thought to mention it...

My shared printer didn't work properly with the default driver, unlike Daryna for some reason - but supposedly the driver from the openprinting database solved it... details here: http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 51&t=15824

Keep up the good work!

And also... after being strongly supportive of mint around here in my parts I now have at least 10 friends running on mint all the time as well as a new LUG supporting it locally :) While the main edition on gnome is always just a little bit more complete and stable (which is the reason I always recommend it to newcommers from the Windows hell) I've been sticking with KDE for awhile now, since I've definitely decided that I prefer KDE since it is a lot more pleasing to my eyes :)... I wish more effort could be devoted to the KDE edition so it is 100% on par with the gnome version... with all mintTools converted etc....

N

P.S. I just LOVE the "swoosh" wallpaper - please use it as default! :)
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
teamanx

Post by teamanx »

EXCELLENT job, but it is a pity Kubuntu is such a big bug.
I mean:
I am an old KDE user, and have tried almost every KDE distro out there. This is, IMHO, the best KDE desktop I've ever seen, in terms of beautyfulness, usability, features, and software selection.

It is so good that I tried to install it on a small network I am creating in a student's residence. And this is when I found lots of bugs (X crashing on ATI Radeon 9250, Ubiquity crashing, etc.), that were not from Mint-KDE but from upstream kubuntu. These bugs have been reported, and looks like they will never be fixed.

So I will have to leave your excellent distro, and install Debian Lenny (which is by far more stable than kubuntu, although it is still testing).
I think it would be good if you, Mint guys, switched from Ubuntu to Debian as the base for your distro.
Anyway, thanks for your excellent work. Best wishes.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Does anyone ever reply to the posts here or it it just a place for an orgy of self-congratulation? The multiple crashes of Ubiquity and the partition manager have managed to trash my HDD during the install process even though I made no choices anywhere after name/region etc and just cancelled the install when the partition manager failed. Now I have a HDD that won't boot anymore and a useless dvd that took hours to download.

Just thought I might get some advice about what to do or at least an expression of sympathy or interest in the problems.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

I'd suggest you post to the appropriate forums with your problems...

this is sort of just a informal bugtracking and thank-you list...

personally, I always use manual partitioning and it went well for me, no problems at all.
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

NiksaVel wrote:I'd suggest you post to the appropriate forums with your problems...

this is sort of just a informal bugtracking and thank-you list...
personally, I always use manual partitioning and it went well for me, no problems at all.
Informal or not you expect some sort of acknowledgment. I have re-posted in another forum - correct me if I am wrong but there doesn't seem to be a forum specifically for this release? Surely there should be?

I did use manual partitioning and it has been an absolute disaster. I wouldn't say I am at expert level but have been using linux for 4 years now and am quite experienced. I often experiment with betas and so on. I have had problems before with the odd bug in a beta but NEVER been even unable to install. And end up with a trashed HDD

This is the worst experience I have ever had with a linux OS. I have been happily using mint on one of my PCs almost since the beginning but something has gone seriously wrong in this edition. Very sad to see.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'm not sure if this is the case here but Ubiquity seems a bit buggy .....
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Hi,

Different hardware, sometimes different experiences - NOT IN MY CASE.

First i have installed Kde Ce 5 RC1 Elyssa in my P4 - 2.4ghz - Asus - Nvidia - 2 hard drives -1 gb ram - Monitor LCD 15"
I wanted this computer to be all Minty - Gnome - Kde - Xfce - No problems. Just 2 little bugs that i can consider them not bugs itselves.

Now i've changed my mind. I installed Kde Ce R1 5 in another computer i Have
Core2 Pentium 2.2 - Gigabyte - 2ggram ddr2 - Nvidia - hard drive 500gb sata2 - monitor 19" LCD Wide Screen

No problems again. Everything went right more than i would expect Althouh the Live Dvd took 4 minutes running
to recognize all hardware, pen drives etc..Loaded quite good.

No problem with the installer, partition Edit (QTParted). The installation was in a good rocket speed.

Cons: My keyboard wasn't set right during the installation. Brazilian ABNT2 - It remained as US Keyboard.
I went to Kde Control Center and changed my lay out keyboard. Is it a Bug? Absolutely not!

Login Screen - username and password - it wasn't translated into Brazilian Portuguese
added userroberto - here it's imperative to click on - OK
Is it a bug? Absolutely not!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My other partitions on hard drive are visible.

Perhaps i can find another bugs but i must remember that it's just an RC release.

VERY IMPORTANT:

I still can sound as a beginner but i care for crucial details that can save me of many upsets.

I might Know the real state condition of my hardware (specially - memory ram, hard drives, motherboard. etc.

I download an Iso. (wanna be lucky for not receiving a corrupted one) I check Md5sum out
I pick a blank dvd up and give it a look if it is perfect with no traces of damage.
I burned the Iso in a low speed and mark to check data record on Dvd. /CD
In general, I as an user making this procedures i may have good results and no headaches.

So, sit down on a chair behind my desktop, i don't need to go to any forum and started to
blame and damn a Linux Release if i had i bad previous behavior. Or in short, if somebody was
in hurry and very much lazy to set things right before trying to install a distro release. Blame and Damn Yourself!

Therefore, the KDE CE KERNEL is 2.6.24.19 - It's possible not be compatible with some
recent new hardware that have been sold in the computer market worldwide

Cheers
Roberto
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Rob Brill wrote:Hi,

VERY IMPORTANT:

I still can sound as a beginner but i care for crucial details that can save me of many upsets.

I might Know the real state condition of my hardware (specially - memory ram, hard drives, motherboard. etc.

I download an Iso. (wanna be lucky for not receiving a corrupted one) I check Md5sum out
I pick a blank dvd up and give it a look if it is perfect with no traces of damage.
I burned the Iso in a low speed and mark to check data record on Dvd. /CD
In general, I as an user making this procedures i may have good results and no headaches.

So, sit down on a chair behind my desktop, i don't need to go to any forum and started to
blame and damn a Linux Release if i had i bad previous behavior. Or in short, if somebody was
in hurry and very much lazy to set things right before trying to install a distro release. Blame and Damn Yourself!

Therefore, the KDE CE KERNEL is 2.6.24.19 - It's possible not be compatible with some
recent new hardware that have been sold in the computer market worldwide

Cheers
Roberto
Roberto - I forgive you your mistakes in English - you do well considering English does not appear to be your first language. Your English is certainly better than my Portuguese. However, I do not forgive you your manners which are rude to say the least. You might get more appreciation in forums if did not accuse people of being lazy or stupid.

For your information I followed all the things you have suggested (and more) before installing a new distro, including making a full back up of all important data - system files and personal info. I run a pretty successful 5 PC network. Two machines are "operational ones" where I run only simplymepis because that, and pure Debian, has proved for me to be the most stable of all the distros I have tried - even though never at the leading edge. One of these PCs is for general computing and one for web design - all coded by hand I might add. My third is a win XP box for testing my new web sites in different versions of Windows. My fourth is an excellent Mythtv media centre, running Mythdora. My fifth PC is the one where i try out new distros and generally have some fun...

I have probably installed and/or reinstalled at least 50 distros or updates of same in the last 4 years. I consider myself reasonably experienced and successful in using linux though there are many things I still have to learn. One is biting my tongue rather than responding when I see offensive posts like yours.

If you can't respond helpfully to someone who has had a computing disaster and is asking for help, I suggest you refrain from commenting in forums.
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

arjay wrote:Does anyone ever reply to the posts here or it it just a place for an orgy of self-congratulation? The multiple crashes of Ubiquity and the partition manager have managed to trash my HDD during the install process even though I made no choices anywhere after name/region etc and just cancelled the install when the partition manager failed. Now I have a HDD that won't boot anymore and a useless dvd that took hours to download.

Just thought I might get some advice about what to do or at least an expression of sympathy or interest in the problems.
Dear Friend

Politiness? Education? Elegance?
Please read your post again

Agressive! Yes

Didi you read the forum rules?

Yes, i am a young guy and doing my best to improve my english.

Yes, I will quit the English forum and would like to thank eerybody here who has been good to
me. I will continue to run Linux Mint ( All Editions - Gnome, Kde Ce and Xfce) and Debian Gnu/linux

I didn't call you a stupid man in my post. If you have felt this feeling, please excuse-me.

Yes, Mr. Warren has done a good job on Mepis and the same goes to TexStar on PClinuxOS

Linux Mint (From Daryna 4 to Elyssa 5 (Gnome and Kde) work like a charm to me.

It's enough for me just reading the posts and get informed about the news. I like the
Linux Mint Blog and there i can post some short lines . :wink:

Best Wishes
Roberto

Return to “Releases & Announcements”