Cleaning utility

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Cleaning utility

Post by exploder »

I thought of an idea that might be useful. What about a utility to clean up the system? Just an example, to clear the apt cache you have to "sudo apt-get clean". Why not make a tool that you could just click on a button to preform this task. Maybe have the tool clean up some other things too.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Cleaning utility

Post by merlwiz79 »

I thought of this as well.
Haven't started making it but was think of making something like ccleaner for mint.
I was thinking it could clean var logs, terminal history, and thumbnails.
It could also set the appearance to default, by clearing the user preferences.(etc panel, menu, theme, wallpaper, etc.)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

That would be cool, especially if you could choose your options. I know that a lot of people that are new to Linux do not know how to clean up their system. A tool like this could really be handy and a nice addition to the existing tools.
Katzedecimal
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Katzedecimal »

That's a brilliant idea. Perhaps also autoremove to clean up any residual dependencies, lots of things people don't think or know to do. Could call it MintFresh 8)
"Dance without sleeping, I'll dance without fear
Dance without senses, no message I hear
Dance without feeling, I'll dance 'til I'm numb
Dance 'til I think I can overcome" -- Melissa Etheridge
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

Wow.. A cleanout utility. I wonder why I didn't think of that. :-)

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... &sk=t&sd=a

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Great minds think alike! :mrgreen:

Seriously though, I was looking at the link you provided and the tool you were working on looks good. If that tool was combined with a GUI, it would be awesome!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

yes - it would help dunces like me!!!

:lol:
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Post by msuggs »

Katzedecimal wrote:Could call it MintFresh 8)
mintFresh - I like it :)
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

exploder,

It is a work in progress. It needs some code cleanup and a little more work. I was considering doing a GUI for it but I didn't seem to get much interest so I haven't done anything with it lately.

If anybody wants to do a GUI for it, jump in and have at it. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I wish I knew how to add a GUI. I think that such a utility would be well received and a very good addition to the Mint tools. As far as interest, I am interested! Such a utility would just add to the user friendly aspect of the distribution. How many people new to Linux know how to clean up their system? Also, many do not realize that their system does need cleaned up from time to time. A gui based tool would make clean up quick and painless.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

exploder,

I have been rather preoccupied with real life lately, but if you think there would really be an interest, I'll take another look at it as soon as I have a bit of free time.

Does Clem have any particular coding or library standards? or preferences on languages? I wouldn't want to take on a big project but something simple like this shouldn't take much to put together.

Suggestions on GUI features and functionality would be appreciated.

Fred

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

A gui like mintDesktop has would be pretty slick, check boxes for selections. I know what you mean about being busy with real life. I spent most of yesterday and today working on my car. I have a 17 year old Crown Victoria with 360,000 miles, it's my work car. I changed and balanced all of the tires with old manual equipment to save some money.It has been years since I used a bubble balancer! I cleaned all of the aluminum wheels while I was at it. Man am I tired! The next project is to replace the leaking steering box on the frame.
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

you guys have a good idea here :D
rfpa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rfpa »

There is a new tool called QuickStart (http://quickstart.phpbb.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11) that has an easy cleaning feature. It's called "House Cleaning". Take a look in here http://www.howtoforge.com/quickstart-th ... desktop-p2

Looks interesting. :)
EchoLynx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by EchoLynx »

I like the idea of a homebrew utility better than porting something to mint. (And I am a Fred Fan, :D )

As for interface, I am designing what I think would be a good template as you read this.

-Ian
Saturday August 9th, 2008: Acquired Technician-class Amateur Radio License. Assigned call KB3ROH.
February (?) 2010: Acquired General-class Amateur Radio License.
Xgamer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Xgamer »

I think that this is good idea , and name for it mintCleaner:D
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

not to cause more work; but a little bit of info in text format to explain the various features and what they do and how to use for noobies like me would be fantastic. Yes - mintcleaner sounds nice!

or Clem's Cleaner :D
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
EchoLynx
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint MintFresh 0.1 HTML BETA

Post by EchoLynx »

1. Don't laugh, I worked hard(er than I planned) on this.
2. Suggestions are welcome. If you don't like it don't hesitate to tell me- just no flaming please.
3. Please don't use without credit.

http://www.echolynx.com/files/MintFresh/index.html
Saturday August 9th, 2008: Acquired Technician-class Amateur Radio License. Assigned call KB3ROH.
eeezzzeee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eeezzzeee »

Not bad, A little rough around the edges but as long as it works I'd say its a great start. Refinement on the looks of the GUI can come with time. Thanks for spending the time to help out.
"If it's stupid and it works.... it's not stupid"
EchoLynx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by EchoLynx »

I am just glad to do SOMETHING.

Suggestions and feedback are welcome.

Ian

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”