Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
katnev

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Post by katnev »

arjay wrote:Does anyone ever reply to the posts here or it it just a place for an orgy of self-congratulation? The multiple crashes of Ubiquity and the partition manager have managed to trash my HDD during the install process even though I made no choices anywhere after name/region etc and just cancelled the install when the partition manager failed. Now I have a HDD that won't boot anymore and a useless dvd that took hours to download.

Just thought I might get some advice about what to do or at least an expression of sympathy or interest in the problems.
Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045)

I think your claim of trashed HDD is false. The installer will never write to the mbr (or any other part of the HD) without confirmation. You are not supposed to do Beta testing on work critical machines anyway.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

I think your claim of trashed HDD is false. The installer will never write to the mbr (or any other part of the HD) without confirmation. You are not supposed to do Beta testing on work critical machines anyway.
Wow - touchy aren't we? I never said this was a work critical machine. Now who is the one who is making stuff up? I have a network of 5 PCs, four of which do critical work. This is my one test machine where I play about with new distros or new software. As to whether you believe me or not, I couldn't give a d*mn. You must have a strange view of life if you think i am going to spend hours posting unnecessary posts about non-existing problems relating to an O/S now consigned to the bin. I can assure you that Mint, Knoppix, and Simplymepis live CDs, and Fedora 6 Disk 1 in rescue mode could not find the HDD after my attempt to install Mint KDE. I did NOT choose any options when the installer and the partition manager crashed. I just exited out and rebooted.

If you check for other posts on the subject on this site you would see how it was eventually resolved.

If you think there is no problem with Ubiquity I suggest you just search for bug reports - might make you think again.

I have no quibble with earlier versions of Mint - I used them (and still use them) on 2 of my PCs, and very good they are too. I know it is only a matter of personal choice but I prefer KDE to gnome, hence my wish to try the KDE beta. Sorry, but in my view, it just does not match up to earlier Mint beta releases.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Sounds like a hardware failure, coincidental to installing Mint. Perhaps triggered by Ubiquity. But not necessarily caused by Ubiquity.

Tell me please, arjay, does your BIOS still recognise the hard drive in question?

Another thing, arjay. You're not very helpful in providing specific pointers to exactly what you're referring to when you claim this problem is discussed in other threads. But google is MY friend, and provided me with this: http://www.mail-archive.com/ubuntu-bugs ... 33235.html
From there I get the idea that ubiquity problems are TYPICALLY hardware problems, related to bad optical drives, bad optical media, bad ISOs, bad burns, or perhaps bad hard disks.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I think you should calm down - there are some posts here that perhaps should have been moved to /dev/null
I don't think anything is written to disk unless you confirm it, but if the worst happens a crash could possibly act as a confirmation - sort of "pushing the right button" - extremely unlikely but...
I'm not at all happy with Ubiquity now, it is not possible to create an extended partition with it - I think that works in main...??
I then went to qtparted and created an extended partition, but qtparted is severely limited compared to gparted unless I misunderstand something. So I could not create a logical partition inside the extended. And after the creation of the extended partition it was not discovered by the Ubiquity partitioner, very unfortunate, so it was not possible to create a logical there either
But please understand we do not develop Ubiquity and we do not have the resources to use another installer
And when it works as it should it is a very good installer
It might be time to file another bugreport for Ubiquity
Oops post number 9001 - no wonder the keyboard begins to feel a bit shaky :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

I installed just now - no problem with a partition prepared in main :)
However I discovered that it is possible to open Krusader in root mode without being asked for password and then within Krusader change and save sources.list without password - I would say ouch!
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

I'm glad some of these wrinkles are shaking out with the beta. Seems to me thats the purpose of a beta.
AstroBoy

Post by AstroBoy »

Which Mint version(s) are based on Ubuntu 8.04?
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

the entire mint 5 line, or Elyssa...
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

AK Dave wrote:Sounds like a hardware failure, coincidental to installing Mint. Perhaps triggered by Ubiquity. But not necessarily caused by Ubiquity.
AK Dave - I am sure you are right that ubiquity often crashes because of hardware problems, but I don't think so in this case. See below.
Another thing, arjay. You're not very helpful in providing specific pointers to exactly what you're referring to when you claim this problem is discussed in other threads.
If you search in this forum under Installation and Boot for kde crash in the last couple of days, you will see how I fixed the problem of my "disappeared hard disk". Sorry I can't post the actual link. It keeps sending me to the wrong post.

Anyway - after I had found and used a bootable linux rescue disk I found on the internet, I was able to open the HDD and replace the menu.lst which had been fouled up by ubiquity/Partition Manager. From then on it was easy. I re-installed elyssa gnome and nearly everything was OK. Now I have removed elyssa and installed Debian Etch KDE. I prefer kde to gnome which is why I was trying the elyssa kde beta. No way I am doing that again :|

So you can see that all the hardware on the PC is running fine under other distros. I appreciate that Mint is dependent on applications provided by others but in the case of the combination of the Installer and the Partition Manager, I still think there is a big problem. I will be staying away from Kubuntu and its derivatives for a long time - believe me. There are so many distros to choose from out there that I don't feel the need to try this one again.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

[rewritten to give more info]

What is the purpose of the Menu -> System -> Hardware Drivers app? EnvyNG and "nVidia X Server Settings" report that drivers 173.14.12 are installed and in use, and all Compiz 3D effects seem to work fine, yet the Hardware Drivers app reports that the proprietary drivers are NOT in use and therefore 3D effects will not be available.

So I checked the check-box to enable them, rebooted, and the booting process halted before the graphical login screen appeared. startx and startkde reported that no nVidia drivers were installed, but I could eventually login in text mode. I re-installed nVidia drivers using EnvyNG in text mode, rebooted and everything was fine again and I was right back to where I started: everything 3D works but the Hardware Drivers app again says the opposite.

That needs to be fixed or eliminated before going Final. It's confusing, and anybody that tries it but doesn't know how to run EnvyNG in text mode will be left with a trashed system and thinking they must re-install from scratch.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Comparing problem reports between the two CE release candidates, it appears that the KDE version is the more problematic vis Ubiquity. Both use Ubiquity, right? Both should be using the same version. I doubt the KDE ISO is bad, but could Ubiquity be more problematic with a DVD install than with a CD? Could the underlying problem be more related to burning DVDs being more iffy than burning CDs?
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

nickembleton wrote:Hi all, could someone kindly help me i cant seem to be able to get the installer running, i boot it as a live dvd all comes up ok once loaded i click on install which comes up fine i get to the time and date section where i select london then go to next then i select the keyboard layout from which i select united kingdom then i get an error saying syslog something so i press ignore and go on to the next section where it asks for your desired username and pass etc which i type in and press next another error comes up with syslog and partman in the dialog once again it says ignore or quit so i press ignore then it takes me back to the time and date selection option again, help would be hugely appreciated,
Thanks,
Nicholas.
I remember reading something similar. Try installing using default values, then change your keyboard in the Control Panel after installation has finished and you've booted into the finished product.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

Just don't select the U.K. keyboard. Leave it as American until the install finishes and change it after.

I can't promise this will work. I just remember reading somewhere in these forums of something similar, and this was the way around it, to fix it later. I hope it works for you.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

What are you writing this from? You obviously have an internet connection of some other distro, or Windows. I ask to see if you any other tools to partition a disk.

A while back I thought my HD was failing so I went out and bought a brand new 500Gb drive. I partitioned it in advance to have room for 4 different distros (each with separate /root and /home partitions), plus 2 10 Gb partitions to do quick, informal tests, and finally a LOT of left over space to hold pictures, videos, documents, etc that were not distro-dependant. Any distro could mount and view its contents.

So when it came to installing M5-KDE, I just put it on a pre-existing 10Gb partition., using the "Manual" install option instead of the "Guided" options, and I had no trouble at all.

So I'm asing if you are in another Linux distro that you can use Gparted to set up the partition first. You can also download and burn Parted Magic which is a Live-CD that you can use to make the partitions first. If you're in Windows, Partition Magic would also work.

Keep trying! It's a pain doing all this stuff first, but the end result is worth it! And if all else fails, wait until M5-KDE Final is released....
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

nickembleton wrote: I have linux mint on one HDD and Winxp on the other, what i want is no partitions at all just a fresh install with the beta version of linux i am not sure why its going on about partitions to be honest, the stable version (which i am using now) installer works fine, any other ideas?
There have been a few problems with this Beta version all having to do with the installer. I would say wait until the Final KDE version is released, then try again. But to be honest, I was always a KDE-lover and a Gnome-hater. But Mint 5 Gnome has impressed me so much that I'm keeping it on my laptop and am just testing the Beta KDE and will decide later which to keep on my Desktop. But the Gnome will definately stay on my laptop. Think about it, play around configuring it, and maybe you'll decide to just keep things as they are. Or to re-install M5-Gnome on the entire hard drive. Both will be version 5, the differences are in the desktop, not in, um, 'up-to-datedness' of any accompanying applications.
bernado

Post by bernado »

Hy,
another annoying bug. When installing googleearth via adept you can't confirm the EULA Terms and condition for this program. There is no way to confirm and adept has to be killed and your apt-system is blocked.

Bernado
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

67GTA wrote:I'm having trouble with the KDE power manager(kde-guidance-powermanager). It shows two procs, but they are both at 0%. I booted the Kubuntu 8.04 CD to check, and it shows them fine. I noticed a difference in package versions. Mint is using kde-guidance-powermanager 0.8.0svn20080103-Obuntu16.1 and Kubuntu is using 0.8.0svn20080103-Obuntu16. Not sure what the channel log is for 16.1, so don't know what the differences are. Also the Mint version does not have support for changing proc speed(performance,powersave,dynamic), and Kubuntu version does. I am using HP dv6815.

Code: Select all

00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Memory Controller (rev a2)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 ISA Bridge (rev a2)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP67 SMBus (rev a2)
00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Memory Controller (rev a2)
00:01.3 Co-processor: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Co-processor (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a2)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a2)
00:04.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a2)
00:04.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a2)
00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP67 IDE Controller (rev a1)
00:07.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP67 High Definition Audio (rev a1)
00:08.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP67 AHCI Controller (rev a2)
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Ethernet (rev a2)
00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Express Bridge (rev a2)
00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Express Bridge (rev a2)
00:12.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 7150M (rev a2)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
02:05.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 05)
02:05.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)
02:05.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev 12)
02:05.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 12)
02:05.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev ff)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
UPDATE: It wasn't the powermanager package. I have dual AMD procs. I had to uninstall powersaved and install powernowd for them to be utilized. Powersaved covers most everything except AMD. Maybe we should install powernowd instead of powersaved by default.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

I've noticed that if I run compiz, my video playback doesnt work (kaffeine / vlc) - I only get a black/grayish screen with no sound... turning off compiz instantly restores functionality...

Also.. if I autorun (.kde/Autostart) compiz using the same command that the menu entry uses, I get a screwed up startup sequence - the tray items (knetworkmanager, kmix, knotes, klipper etc..) don't appear in the tray at all, although they appear to be running... very strange and problematic
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

NiksaVel wrote:I've noticed that if I run compiz, my video playback doesnt work (kaffeine / vlc) - I only get a black/grayish screen with no sound... turning off compiz instantly restores functionality...
Well-known problem, nothing unique to Mint or Ubuntu. With some combinations of video hardware and driver, Compiz and motion video are incompatable. Possible solutions include changing out your video driver (sometimes Envy helps, sometimes removing Envy drivers helps), changing out your video hardware (google around), and DISABLING COMPIZ.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

but it works okay on my other comp with kde daryna on it... this one has nvidia (the one that is not working has ati)...

N
-Clem

Return to “Releases & Announcements”