Vivaldi: new browser from the original Opera developers

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Vivaldi: new browser from the original Opera developers

Post by jimallyn »

Just heard about a new browser, Vivaldi. According to the website, it's from the original developers of Opera. I have used Opera since the beginning, but have been unhappy with the direction they have been taking lately. Hopefully Vivaldi will bring back the browser that Opera used to be.

https://vivaldi.com/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: New browser from the original Opera developers

Post by xenopeek »

Dominant feature of Vivaldi appears to be that everything is done with keyboard shortcuts, including navigating the web. Looks very "windows 8-ish"; flat icons and squares everywhere. Uses its own GUI toolkit so it looks out of place on the Linux desktop.

There wasn't that would make me switch to it permanently, but perhaps for the Opera fans it is worth a look.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I tried it, and it's not ready for prime time. But they did call it a "tech preview", so I was expecting there to be problems with it. I'll try it again later after they've had a chance to develop it further.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

probably will wait until they have integrated eMail,
- like the old Opera browser did.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Everything's better than Chropera.

(Yes, even IE.)
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

Well, I haven't tried it. On their website, I read something about a Bookmarks Manager, but I like a Bookmarks Toolbar since I have around 400 bookmarks divided amongst 27 folders . If there is no Bookmarks Toolbar, that is an automatic deal breaker for me.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Right now, there is a bookmarks sidebar.
Keep in mind this is a very early preview release yet.
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

I've tried it but feel that it still needs much work. I realize that it's a tech preview, so perhaps I'll give it another go at another time.
doob9911

Post by doob9911 »

What's happening in Opera?
I am curious about that.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

There is one other thing which turns me off of this browser. I really dislike the new "flat look" of it. Speaking just for myself, I find the flat look........butt ugly.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

In the past I used to like Opera (I was Windows user back then and I tested the browsers for Windows a lot). But since 2008 I'm a die-hard Firefox fan because MF is still doing it's job right. Vivaldi is...well not my taste. :P And this interface is just not for a desktop machine.
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Vivaldi browser

Post by zoli62 »

I thought I open a topic in which we can talk about experiences, performance, features, issues related to Vivaldi browser. https://vivaldi.com https://vivaldi.net/en-US/ This is a promising initiative from some former developer of the earlier Opera browser. Certainly many people have already tried.
Last edited by xenopeek on Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged here

Return to “Open Chat”