Mint 17.1 and Chromium Problems

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Please Make Sure to Post Bug Reports!

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I do hope that everyone who is having issues with the new version of Mint (whether it's one of the release versions for MATE/Cinnamon or the release candidates for XFCE/KDE) files bug reports in the proper places so that the developers will be aware of them and, therefore, can have a chance to address them. Otherwise, they can only go off how their own specific hardware works (which, presumably, is fine) with those newer versions of Mint.

Off-topic comment: I also have a Logitech M325 and it seems to work well. I'm glad to read that they actually placed a linux symbol alongside the usual OS. I didn't have a package, as the mouse was given to me. I'm now assuming that if I ever wish to change what buttons 4 and 5 ("tilting" the mouse wheel left and right) do, I'll be able to. I especially like that the mouse only requires one AA battery instead of two (and that it should last 18 months between changes!) and that there's a spot beside the battery to store the USB receiver (since it's so small and easy to misplace). Overall, I'd recommend the Logitech M325, too. I have owned Logitech products in the past (a wireless keyboard/mouse/remote combo) and found them to be durable - all three had been dropped many times, lol.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
chzuck
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint 17.1 and Chromium Problems

Post by chzuck »

I really wanted to help by filing a bug report but found it impossible to set up an account. Why can't those responsible just check the forums for issues. There is surely enough on here lately about Mint 17.1. I have had my fill and will be content not using Chromium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO FRUSTRATED!!!!!!!!!
Running Linux Mint 21.1 Vera on a Lenovo T520 laptop
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Well, chzuck, I'll have to apologize for asking you (and everyone else) to file a bug report in the proper place. I'm not sure exactly where you went in order to submit your report. In another the thread about the Mint XFCE 17.1 release candidate, I posted a quote by Clem (from the relevant blog page) in which he stated that bug reports - for the Mint XFCE RC - should be posted in the comment section of that blog page. I just visited it, thinking that you might have meant that (or the blog page for whichever edition of Mint you use) and, to my surprise, I read that it was closed to new comments. <SCRATCHES HEAD> So I don't know what to suggest. I'm going to assume (yeah, I know :roll: ) that the closing of the comments section of that web(-blog) page was an error. Not having Clem's contact information readily at hand, I suppose after posting this message, I'll use the Report Post function to ask one of the staff members here to see that Clem is made aware of the situation. I guess that I should also edit my recent post in the Mint XFCE 17.1 RC thread to include a link to this post.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
chzuck
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chzuck »

I will try and get un-frustrated and try and find where to post the things I tried and help get this issue resolved.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

chzuck wrote:I will try and get un-frustrated and try and find where to post the things I tried and help get this issue resolved.
I, for one, appreciate it. Thank you and everyone else who are the "early adopters" of the new versions of my favorite OS/distro. My computer is a little fragile AtM (non-working optical drive, no provision for booting from USB or memory card, no floppy drive to even run one of those "boots from your USB drive regardless" things), so I'm left not only unable to install the Mint XFCE RC on a separate partition, I also have to worry that if/when I update to the final version of 17.1, I might have an issue that would best be solved by reinstalling either it or 17. That's frustrating for me. So I hope your level of frustration decreases, you find the proper place to post your bug reports, and the bugs are taken care of.

Again, my thanks, everyone!

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

chzuck
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chzuck »

I am going to try a different version - 17.1 -kde, instead of cinnamon. Will try and install it tomorrow on a USB stick.
chzuck
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chzuck »

That did not work very well. First it froze on first attempt at installing. Second, the desktop and my mouse pad did not get along no matter how I configured it. Third, crashed when I accessed the Chromium extension page just like the cinnamon version.

I am going back to Mint 17 and if need be Mint 16.
NChewie

Post by NChewie »

@chzuck

A negative test from me: I have 39.0.2171.65-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1064 installed with no extensions and no issues if I access the Extensions page from my Mint Cinnamon 64 bit 17.1
chzuck
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chzuck »

NChewie wrote:@chzuck

A negative test from me: I have 39.0.2171.65-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1064 installed with no extensions and no issues if I access the Extensions page from my Mint Cinnamon 64 bit 17.1
I am glad it works for you. It is the Chromium extension page that causes the problems on my laptop. I assume that is what you were implying. No issue with FireFox extensions page.

I decided to go with Mint 13 and hopefully I will have smooth sailing!
No smooth sailing. Do any of the Linux systems operate without issue "right out of the box"? Seems no matter which version I try, each one has its own problems. Looks like my best bet is 17 or 17.1 and refrain from using Chromium. Those two with the exception of my wireless issue worked rather well.
chzuck
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chzuck »

UPDATE: I installed 17.1, then installed Google Chrome instead of Chromium. In Chrome you can access extensions a little differently and that allowed me to install the extensions that I wanted. I had tried disabling firewall and anti virus, but that did not help me access the Chromium extension page without a crash. All seems to be working well.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

So it's looking like the bug is in Chromium, itself? I just did a quick web search for

Code: Select all

chromium bug report
and found these:

http://www.chromium.org/for-testers/bug-reporting-guidelines
http://www.chromium.org/for-testers/bug-reporting-guidelines/reporting-crash-bug
http://www.chromium.org/for-testers/bug-reporting-guidlines-for-the-mac-linux-builds
https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/list
Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

chzuck
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chzuck »

Thanks. It sure looks like Chromium has a "boat load" of issues!
As I said, I got the two extensions I wanted in Google Chrome and so far all is working well with Mint 17.1. I don't know the difference between Chromium and Google Chrome anyway.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

chzuck wrote:I don't know the difference between Chromium and Google Chrome anyway.
For one, Chrome is not open-source. Chromium is open-source - its source code may be customized by others; it may also be examined by anyone who is curious or paranoid (the latter might wish to do so before compiling their own copy, for example).

Here is a web page discussing the differences:

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/79510.html
Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

BandonRandon

Post by BandonRandon »

I am having this issue as well. I did some searching and found out that its pretty common: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2248986

One suggestion on that forum was to turn off hardware acceleration in Chromium that prevented the crash but lead to the the "oh snap" screen and prevented the store from loading.

I looked into trying to build Chromium but the don't make it easy. For now I'll wait for an upgrade.

Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnomon 32 bit
Chromium: Version 39.0.2171.65 Built on Ubuntu 14.04, running on LinuxMint 17.1
chzuck
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chzuck »

Although I have Google Chrome installed, it seems I mostly use Firefox and rather pleased with it. I will try Chromium again when I find out there is an upgrade. Mint runs rings around Windows 7. I cannot believe how much faster it boots up and shuts down.
chzuck
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chzuck »

I have a question. Why does it take so long to fix Chromium. I just downloaded it and had the same results. Chromium just does not like the page with the addons.
BandonRandon

Post by BandonRandon »

Why does it take so long to fix Chromium. I just downloaded it and had the same results. Chromium just does not like the page with the addons.
In my opinion asking that type of question is selfish. One thing that I love about open source is that you, all of us, have the power to solve problems and contribute back for everyone. For example, in this case even if you're not a devloper you can report the bug to the devlopers, or hire one to take a look at this issue.

I should also point out that while Chromium is being updated and worked on constantly it is still alpha software and it is made clear it may be unstable at times. Furthermore, when it comes to the Ubuntu builds someone has to build the software and release it to the package manager. Instead of doing this daily they do it in batches. This partiular bug seems to be an edge case, meaning it's only happening on certian systems.

With all this being said, a new version was added today (which mostly fixes a Flash player security issue) which also fixes the crash for me if I disbale hardware acceleration. The new version I am using is Version 40.0.2214.94 Built on Ubuntu 14.04, running on LinuxMint 17.1
chzuck
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chzuck »

In my opinion asking that type of question is selfish. One thing that I love about open source is that you, all of us, have the power to solve problems and contribute back for everyone. For example, in this case even if you're not a devloper you can report the bug to the devlopers, or hire one to take a look at this issue.
Thank you for the explanation. I really did not want to come across as selfish, I just had a question and you did answer that. You helped me see that there is a whole lot more to fixing the problem than meets the eye.

I am not a developer or anything even close when it comes to writing or troubleshooting software. I don't even know where or who to report a bug. Is there a standard procedure for reporting problems with software? Is there a common place to report all issues?
chzuck
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chzuck »

BandonRandon,
With all this being said, a new version was added today (which mostly fixes a Flash player security issue) which also fixes the crash for me if I disbale hardware acceleration. The new version I am using is Version 40.0.2214.94 Built on Ubuntu 14.04, running on LinuxMint 17.1
I installed the version you mentioned and when I went to the application (add ons), it crashed. I then rebooted, unchecked hardware acceleration, it crashed again. After the next reboot all worked well. I should have rebooted after unchecking hardware acceleration. So apparently it is the hardware accelerator. Thanks for the help.
BandonRandon

Post by BandonRandon »

This issue is resolved for me with Chromium 43 which was pushed to the Mint/Ubuntu repo today. Give it a try and hopefully it'll work for you as well.

Return to “Beginner Questions”