Dogs vs. Cats vs. ???

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.

Dogs, Cats, or Others?

Dogs
33%
Cats
58%
Others
9%

Total votes: 43

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Dogs vs. Cats vs. ???

Post by Fred Barclay »

Alright, so I confess... I'm a numbers freak. I like statistics and surveys, charts and graphs, and precision down to at least the 15th's place. After all, my training is in physics, and chemistry, physics, and math were my favourite subjects.
So I thought that it would be nice to see who likes what in the pet world. Since dogs and cats are the most popular pets, I chose them as my main player, but don't worry. If you derive friendship and comfort from creatures such as horses or tuataurus, or even mice, choose the "Others" catagory. I'm personally pulling for the Dog group--and the Others, too, since I have a soft spot for rabbits and guinea pigs, and some really odd varmints.
You can choose up to 3 options if you have a mixture.
One last note. Please don't count your kids as pets. They may act like animals at times...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
RacerBG

Re: Dogs vs. Cats vs. ???

Post by RacerBG »

Cats.

I also love dogs but I voted for cats only because I like them more. ;)
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Cats
Stella and Ivy would plot my demise if I said anything else.. :lol:
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Five years ago I would have said dogs. Now that I have been owned by four cats since 2011, they are the top of the list. :mrgreen:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

I'm a cat person.

Woodstock, a lynx point siamese, was with us for 19 years, 6 months and 6 days before we had to put her to sleep because of the complications of old age. Tiger, a no tail manx breed brown tabby colored cat was with us for 17 years 4 months and 8 days and again, we had to put him to sleep from the complications of old age.

When you have pet companions who live to be very old and show you what unconditional love is, it takes a lot out of you when they pass on especially when they choose you as their favorite person. Woodstock chose my wife and Tiger chose me.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

The 6 cats that permit my family and I to share their residence were consulted and instructed me to vote Cat... There is no doubting which species rules in this house :lol:
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Judging by the response so far, perhaps I should reword the question: "Cats, what are your favourite pets? Dogs or humans?"
:wink:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Definitely humans
Dogs can't open cans....
jahid

Post by jahid »

cats....
I have pet pigeons too...

But currently I have none, but still I like them...
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

How did the cats and pigeons get along together?
When I was little (getting further away every day!) we had a cat that probably would have eaten your pigeons. She was the reason we never got another cat, or so I was told. :D
Of course, I have a dog now that 3 years ago would have liked to eat my rabbit. She had been abused (the dog) and was quite strange--still is a little. You practically couldn't look at her without her trying to crawl under something. To make it worse, she is a Jack Russel terrier, so she isn't very big. I can only imagine how frightening we big people must have been at the time.
- Albert Einstein
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

For the moment looks like the Linux users are cat lovers. :D
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I voted cats too! We have a 4 or 5 year old black male cat named Sammy. My Wife insisted we he have a pet and cats take care of themselves for the most part. Sammy came from the animal shelter, he had been hit by a car and had to have his ear and tongue stitched up. He was also fixed and declawed. For all the poor cat has been through he is the nicest cat I have ever seen.

It's supposed to be my Wife's cat but guess who the cat always follows around! The cat got some kind of infection just before Christmas, he was really ill. Our family decided we would rather spend the money we had for gifts on the cat because we were afraid he might die. Sammy survived but it took him a few weeks before he was back to normal. I could not imagine coming home from work and not seeing the cat sitting on the window sill waiting for me to come in and pet him.

I have owned dogs most of my life but Sammy has a home for life. It just would not be the same around here without the cat under my feet all the time! :D
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

We have 1 cat and 2 sugar-gliders.

I love Pets and really doesn't matter which animal family they come from.

Fish are the exception as they don't purr.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

My youngest daughter and her husband have a cat. Since it is kept indoors, they bought him a mouse so he could do catly things. Turned out the cat and mouse made friends. :shock:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Can't somebody else please vote dog? :( I need to know that I'm not the only dog-loving Linux user.
- Albert Einstein
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

i was the first to vote in your survey although I made no comment> Wish I had now :lol:

I've been a dog person since my teens (now into my 80s) Currently own an Italian Spinone, Jordan, who is coming up eight years old.

I cannot understand why the members who prefer dogs aren't voting. Surely they are out there somewhere!
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
jahid

Post by jahid »

Fred Barclay wrote:How did the cats and pigeons get along together?
It's time division multiple petting....
When I had pigeons I didn't have cats, and when I had cats I didn't have pigeons....

Though the memory of pigeon petting was a tragedy...I was a kid then and was forced to move to my grandparents house because of my fathers illness. When I returned home about a month later then I found out that the people who were there to look after our house didn't cared about them at all, and some of them were caught and eaten by neighbouring kids (I didn't have any proofs though) and some of them were hunted by a nocturnal animal (I don't know the exact name, it's called gara in our region) and my favourite one was supposedly caught by another pigeon petter, I investigated about it and found him but couldn't prove anything to claim him back...he became faithful to his new master, but at least he was in good hands........

And that was the end of my pigeon petting.. :(
jahid

Post by jahid »

tdockery97 wrote: Since it is kept indoors, they bought him a mouse so he could do catly things. Turned out the cat and mouse made friends. :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
A short story of a forbidden love....
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

tenfoot wrote:i was the first to vote in your survey although I made no comment> Wish I had now :lol:
Thank you! :lol:
And thanks to all the cat lovers too.
- Albert Einstein
Ranthe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ranthe »

Fred Barclay wrote:Can't somebody else please vote dog? :( I need to know that I'm not the only dog-loving Linux user.
I voted dog (own two Shetland Sheepdogs)... and cat (owned by two Birman cats). 8)

Funnily enough, the dogs and cats are all best mates - the cats just jump over the dogs if they're in the way, and our 13-year old Sheltie Flint is quite protective of his little feline buddies!

Return to “Open Chat”