DNS forwarding

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

DNS forwarding

Post by Husse »

To connect to the internet I normally don't have to change anything - Firefox and Thunderbird just connects. But with Synaptics and "apt-get" its different. They don't connect unless I go into "Network settings" and activate a location where the IP to my ISP's DNS are set under the DNS section.
If I don't do that the IP of my router is set there instead.
So it seems that FF and Tbird can use DNS forwarding and Synaptics not, which can be a bit irritating when you install something.
Anyone with a solution?
This is really my earlier post
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1410
seen "the other way round".
This is one of the few remaining issues before I'm ready to donate to Mint.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pashabear
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pashabear »

I have the same problem, (have been hashing it out in my own post: http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1231)
but with the added frustration of not having a DNS IP address for my provider - which means I can't use Synaptic at all!
Husse, what is your setup for connecting to the Internet? Do you use an ADSL modem alone, a modem + router, or something else? I'm using both a modem and a router, both are D-Link.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Hmmm
Could Dlink be the culprit? I use a Dlink ADSL modem/router (DSL 504T)
If I don't tamper with the network settings the DNS IP is always set to 192.168.1.1 which is the router. This is the DNS server of my router and it should ask "the world" to resolve any adress and transfer it to the appliction that asked.
Is there a possiblity that Synaptics thinks something is wrong as this is an address on a private net?
Other applications as Firefox and Thunderbird works
and we are obviously two experiencing the same.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Maybee this problem is limited to a few systems?
One other thing that might be the culprit is if Synaptics times out to fast so that it "gives up" before a connection is established. I don't have any leads but will try to figure out what's happening
pashabear
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pashabear »

I don't think it's a time out problem, the funny ip addresses we get (for example with apt-get update) says there's something stranger going on...
Husse

Post by Husse »

The solution to this is found in my trobleshooter
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ur_Live_CD
I've yet to figure out how to get a link on the main page
pashabear
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pashabear »

Your solution worked for me, THANKS!

Return to “Networking”