something froze

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

something froze

Post by NiksaVel »

Hey guys,

this happened to me twice now... seems like something froze inside mint and I don't know what to do... everything works okay, exept shut down button and terminal (at least that's what I noticed)...

I want to shut down but it just wont go away :lol: :lol: I've tried the quit button in mintMenu, regular menu and clicking my hardware power button, neither produced any result... than I tried to shut it down through cli, but terminal wont load either... other programs work.

result is the secont hardware reset so far in the last few weeks since I'm a mint user.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Are you running Beryl or some other 3D candy stuff? I have seen the behaviour you describe on my system when the graphics card gets too hot ...
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

no no... just regular install... I find beryl to be too much trouble...

and no it's not overheating... I set this comp together :) and it also has hardware temp monitoring on frontpanel...

it seems to be happen when I click the quit button inside a minute or so from returning from suspend state...
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

okay... here's a real brain puzzler...

it happened again a couple of times... but this last time I didn't restart anything and left mint to just remain turned on... now and than I would surf the web looking for references as I was studying...

than out of the blue after some 15-30 minutes a shut down screen popped up... I was like... xxx?? Clicked cancel and it got right back three times... than I recalled that I tried to click the "Quit" button exactly four times...

so something was holding it back for almost half an hour...
Last edited by Oscar799 on Wed May 12, 2010 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate acronym deleted
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

Just realised that Open Office is also one of the programs (the entire suite) that fails to start when I am in this partly functional state...

Return to “Other topics”