when lmde 2 (betsy) will be available?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
woodsman

Re: when lmde 2 (betsy) will be available?

Post by woodsman »

Firefox and flash are up to date in my install of LMDE.
Please explain further. My LMDE has FF 35.0 whereas 35.0.1 is the latest release. The current Flash is 11.2.202.442 but I have 440 installed in my LMDE.

Edit: Oops --- I just rebooted into LMDE and Flash is version 442. But FF is indeed 35.0 rather than 35.0.1.
cb474

Post by cb474 »

woodsman wrote:
Firefox and flash are up to date in my install of LMDE.
Please explain further. My LMDE has FF 35.0 whereas 35.0.1 is the latest release. The current Flash is 11.2.202.442 but I have 440 installed in my LMDE.

Edit: Oops --- I just rebooted into LMDE and Flash is version 442. But FF is indeed 35.0 rather than 35.0.1.
Yeah, you're right. I wasn't in front of my LMDE machine when I wrote that, but thought I'd seen the update. Don't know why Firefox is getting updated more slowly than flash. I do know that Firefox has been consistently updated, even if it's a little behind at times. Whereas, like I said, Chromium is about a year (maybe more) out of date.
maweceq

Post by maweceq »

Hi all, currently I am Windows user (don't kill me for that) but I am looking for to start with dualboot and later maybe I will pure linux user (yeah :)). After time I spent on searching for linux distro which meet my requirements (technical/personal/beauty), I want to start using LMDE as is Debian based and use Cinnamon which looks great for me. As I didn't find any information (maybe bad usage of google/search dialogs there) I want to ask if it is possible to download LMDE 2 ( I know that it is under development now ) or just I need to wait until some later version (beta, rc,..). Thank you very much in advance
cb474

Post by cb474 »

maweceq wrote:Hi all, currently I am Windows user (don't kill me for that) but I am looking for to start with dualboot and later maybe I will pure linux user (yeah :)). After time I spent on searching for linux distro which meet my requirements (technical/personal/beauty), I want to start using LMDE as is Debian based and use Cinnamon which looks great for me. As I didn't find any information (maybe bad usage of google/search dialogs there) I want to ask if it is possible to download LMDE 2 ( I know that it is under development now ) or just I need to wait until some later version (beta, rc,..). Thank you very much in advance
You just are going to have to wait. Somewhere I think Clem said they were not going to make Betsy available in beta/alpha form, because then they would have to spend a lot of time supporting users, rather than just getting it done.

It sounds like LMDE Betsy might be ready soon (like maybe next month), but you never really know (it's been more than a year now). If you're anxious to get going, you might want to just try regular Mint. Yes it's based on Ubuntu, but Ubuntu is based on Debian, so it's pretty similar. The Cinnamon experience I think should be exactly the same and under the hood it's going to be pretty close also.

For a new Linux user, I think I really can't recommend LMDE until it updates. It's really out of date, with a lot of old software. So I don't think it's very secure, in many respects. Also the install media is now a year old. So immediately after installing, you would have a huge update to do (I think) and this could just be a mess. It's not what you want your inaugural Linux experience to be. And then who knows how smoothly the upgrade to Betsy will go, when it comes. There are inevitably bugs at first. Probably also not the best experience for someone new to Linux.

So if you don't mind waiting a few months for Betsy (or more) that's fine. Otherwise, I think regular Mint is a very good choice and really the way to go. Also since there is a much larger user base for regular Mint, you'll get a lot more support for any questions you have in the forums (more people to answer questions, more questions already answered).

Good luck. I hope you enjoy whatever you do.
kalomint

Post by kalomint »

I am an inexperienced linux user as well and patiently waiting for LMDE betsy. Currently I dual boot and mostly use Linux mint 17.1 XFCE. To that end, are we going to get a XFCE version of LMDE? I find MATE a bit buggy on some aspects and XFCE is flawless and fast.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

kalomint wrote:I am an inexperienced linux user as well and patiently waiting for LMDE betsy. Currently I dual boot and mostly use Linux mint 17.1 XFCE. To that end, are we going to get a XFCE version of LMDE? I find MATE a bit buggy on some aspects and XFCE is flawless and fast.
For XFCE and KDE, look at SolydXK.
There will be no LMDE version.
kalomint

Post by kalomint »

killer de bug wrote: For XFCE and KDE, look at SolydXK.
There will be no LMDE version.
Good alternative but SolydX is no Mint, right? Does it have the stability and perfection of Mint?
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

kalomint wrote: Good alternative but SolydX is no Mint, right? Does it have the stability and perfection of Mint?
Of course SolydXK is not Linux Mint. But they are close.

Based on Debian stable, I don't doubt about stability.
Zill

Post by Zill »

kalomint wrote:...Does it have the stability and perfection of Mint?
Yes!
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ddurdle »

the ISOs were approved over the weekend for RC, I see.
cb474

Post by cb474 »

ddurdle wrote:the ISOs were approved over the weekend for RC, I see.
That's great to hear. So is there an upgrade path from current LMDE installs? Or will we have to completely reinstall our systems?
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

cb474 wrote: That's great to hear. So is there an upgrade path from current LMDE installs? Or will we have to completely reinstall our systems?
Upgrade path will be worked on as soon as iso will be released. You will not need to reinstall but the upgrade may not be simple :)
manit

Post by manit »

lmde-2-201503-cinnamon-64bit-rc and lmde-2-201503-mate-64bit-rc o yes thanks http://mirrors.nic.cz/linuxmint-cd/linu ... m/testing/ :D :D :D
12 Monkeys

Post by 12 Monkeys »

Thx manit! Gonna give them a spin this evening
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Downloading from heanet now. All 4 iso's are there for download.
manit

Post by manit »

lmde-2-201503-cinnamon-64bit-rc is fast brill :D
VanR

Post by VanR »

Downloaded the Betsy 64-bit MATE RC and it wouldn't install on my machine for some reason. Downloaded it and burned it twice and no cigar. My machine is AMD 8530/8 GB 1866 RAM/ GeForce 650/Kingston SSD/ Asus 970 board.

Downloaded Betsy 64-bit Cinnamon also and the installer stopped at the same point on my machine and wouldn't advance any farther.
Distro-Don

Post by Distro-Don »

VanR wrote:Downloaded the Betsy 64-bit MATE RC and it wouldn't install on my machine for some reason. Downloaded it and burned it twice and no cigar. My machine is AMD 8530/8 GB 1866 RAM/ GeForce 650/Kingston SSD/ Asus 970 board.

Downloaded Betsy 64-bit Cinnamon also and the installer stopped at the same point on my machine and wouldn't advance any farther.
I had the same problem. I had to erase and format the sector that I wanted to put / on which was sda3. Then it installed perfectly. This might be a bug.
VanR

Post by VanR »

Distro-Don wrote:
VanR wrote:Downloaded the Betsy 64-bit MATE RC and it wouldn't install on my machine for some reason. Downloaded it and burned it twice and no cigar. My machine is AMD 8530/8 GB 1866 RAM/ GeForce 650/Kingston SSD/ Asus 970 board.

I had the same problem. I had to erase and format the sector that I wanted to put / on which was sda3. Then it installed perfectly. This might be a bug.

Thing is I never even get to the partition part of the installer. It hangs up at when it asks for your name and password.
Distro-Don

Post by Distro-Don »

VanR wrote:
Distro-Don wrote:

Thing is I never even get to the partition part of the installer. It hangs up at when it asks for your name and password.
Did you check the md5sum?

Return to “LMDE Archive”