About Betsy

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

About Betsy

Post by clem »

richyrich

Re: About Betsy

Post by richyrich »

Thank you Clem for the update , this may finally calm some of the LMDE-viants ! :lol:
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

richyrich wrote:Thank you Clem for the update , this may finally calm some of the LMDE-viants ! :lol:
Of whom I proudly count myself. :wink:
Great news!
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

In other words, whereas Mint 17.x would see distinct releases (Qiana, Rebecca..etc..) with opt-in upgrade paths, LMDE 2 would be continuously upgraded (it would just be Betsy basically) and simply receive updated ISO images now and then.
Continuously upgraded? Is that about the Debian 'point releases'? Does it mean they'll simply become part of LMDE 2 without causing any visible change in the version numbering (i.e. no LMDE 2.1, 2.2 etc.)? Other than that, a Debian Stable doesn't change all that much.

Or is this about Mint specific packages?
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

richyrich wrote:Thank you Clem for the update , this may finally calm some of the LMDE-viants ! :lol:
Another here :lol:
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

grizzler wrote: Continuously upgraded? Is that about the Debian 'point releases'? Does it mean they'll simply become part of LMDE 2 without causing any visible change in the version numbering (i.e. no LMDE 2.1, 2.2 etc.)? Other than that, a Debian Stable doesn't change all that much.

Or is this about Mint specific packages?
True, version of Cinnamon would be continuously pushed and not reserved for LMDE2.1 or LMDE2.2. There would be only one version of LMDE and everyone would have the same version of software if the system is correctly updated.
HighFive
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HighFive »

I have been using LMDE-Mate 17.1 on both my laptop and desktop and I love it. I'm worried that if LMDE is moved to Debian stable that the applications on it will grow old along with Debian. I used to use Debian stable all the time, but I got tired of the normal user apps growing old. Is this going to happen with Betsy? By normal user apps I mean browsers and office apps.
Dell 3120 Latitude, 11.6 in netbook. 8GB ram, 128G SSD. Intel Premium Silver Quad Core CPU.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

For browser, Firefox is packaged by the Mint team so no.
For Office, you have the backports.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Thanks Clem for the explanation and all of your and the Teams hard work will try Betsy when it's available.
:)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

@HighFive , Mint 17.1 is not LMDE. You are using one of Mint's Ubuntu based editions.
Linux Mint Debian Edition is a distro of a different animal. :lol:
HighFive
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HighFive »

richyrich wrote:@HighFive , Mint 17.1 is not LMDE. You are using one of Mint's Ubuntu based editions.
Linux Mint Debian Edition is a distro of a different animal. :lol:

You are correct, I am using LMDE-Mate.
Dell 3120 Latitude, 11.6 in netbook. 8GB ram, 128G SSD. Intel Premium Silver Quad Core CPU.
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

Clem,

While an obvious amount of work is proceeding with LMDE, some degree of calm would appear if certain packages were updated more timely. Specifically flash plugin and Firefox. Currently both are a version behind. Every release of flash is a security release and more or less the same with Firefox because security patches in Firefox are incorporated with each release.

I think LMDE users have been patient but keeping those two packages current would help. I would think that keeping those two packages current would be an automated process in the LMDE support chain. :)

I hope you will soon release information for LMDE testers for updating their sources lists. I support other users with LMDE and I would like to participate in the beta testing --- long before the official updates become available to the public. That way I am better prepared to help my customers. :)
cybermarmotte
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cybermarmotte »

killer de bug wrote: True, version of Cinnamon would be continuously pushed and not reserved for LMDE2.1 or LMDE2.2. There would be only one version of LMDE and everyone would have the same version of software if the system is correctly updated.
Do you mean the iso available for donwload will be updated as regularly as repository or that we can make some rsync on our local isos?!

Any way, thx for the hard work, can't wait to see priority in updates and blue folders ;-)
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

According to this article Betsy will be a rolling release. Is that true? http://linux.slashdot.org/story/15/02/0 ... ng-release
I had thought that according to Clem's article on Segfault that it was regaining some (semi) rolling characteristics back; but since he didn't specifically mention the word "rolling" or "semi-rolling" I figured that perhaps I'd misunderstood.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

If you consider that Cinnamon/Nemo/... updates will be pushed constantly, then you have a rolling release model. LMDE 2 will have Cinnamon 2.4 then 2.6 then 2.8... which is not matching with the model of 'frozen version' (like Debian Stable or Linux Mint main).

But if you consider that the base is Debian Stable, then you see that it's clearly not rolling. The main library of your system will stay the same for 2 years. Your kernel will not change except if you update it on purpose...
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

So the desktop/window manager and the applications will be semi-rolling, but the base system (Jessie) will stay the same, i.e. Betsy base will not change even if Jessie becomes Old Stable and a new Stable is implemented?
Doesn't sound that bad.
- Albert Einstein
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Fred Barclay wrote:the applications will be semi-rolling, but the base system (Jessie) will stay the same, i.e.
Applications coming from Mint will be upgraded on regular basis.
For the ones provided by Debian, they are not supposed to change. Except if the team decide to backport them.
Fred Barclay wrote:Betsy base will not change even if Jessie becomes Old Stable and a new Stable is implemented?
Doesn't sound that bad.
When a new Debian stable will be implemented, LMDE 3 will be out. If I understand correctly what Clem said of course ;)
fayad

Post by fayad »

Thanks to Clem and many others who have made Debian edition possible again. Hi 5 to that.

Things must have improved a lot by now so is there anyway to get the latest iso and start using (not testing) ? I promise I won't complain :wink:
LMDE iso was somewhere around 95% tested a few days ago at http://community.linuxmint.com/iso but it shows rejected since last night.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

About 2 days ago it was rejected. MATE amd64 is now at 1,72%
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

fayad wrote: LMDE iso was somewhere around 95% tested a few days ago at http://community.linuxmint.com/iso but it shows rejected since last night.
Testing doesn't mean working.
Functionalities were tested at 95% and unfortunately a few things were not working so the iso were refused.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”