LMDE 2 Betsy with Cinnamon 2.4

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
killer de bug

Re: LMDE 2 Betsy with Cinnamon 2.4

Post by killer de bug »

It's coming. Slowly but surely!
Spring is coming and so is “Betsy”. QA testing for the new version of LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) is starting today. If you want to follow our progress on this please visit http://community.linuxmint.com/iso and https://github.com/linuxmint/Roadmap.
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2771
reference2myself

Post by reference2myself »

I might have to upgrade to sid again once it's out :p, though actually there isn't much difference between sid and jessie right now
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Why? You want to break Cinnamon? :lol:
reference2myself

killer de bug wrote:Why? You want to break Cinnamon? :lol:
"If it ain't broke, fix it until it is." lol
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

reference2myself wrote:
killer de bug wrote:Why? You want to break Cinnamon? :lol:
"If it ain't broke, fix it until it is." lol
You ruined my joke. I was going to say the same thing myself. :lol:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
reference2myself

mintupdate got updated. looks like they removed the kernel selection feature instead of making it work. FYI for those that updated you can go ahead and remove mintupdate-debian and replace it with plain ol' mintupdate if you haven't yet or if it wasn't part of the upgrade process, i remember doing it manually to mine when i did my initial upgrade since the update pack feature is now obsolete. I wonder if they will eventually rename it again with the -debian at the end now that it's not the same as the ubuntu version again.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

reference2myself wrote:mintupdate got updated. looks like they removed the kernel selection feature instead of making it work.
This is due to the nature of Debian. You don't have 2 or 3 Kernels available like in Ubuntu. So this section is useless.
Of course, one can argue that you are not obliged to install a new kernel between Wheezy and Jessie. I agree. But then don't select it in Mint Update and it's fine. :)
reference2myself wrote:FYI for those that updated you can go ahead and remove mintupdate-debian and replace it with plain ol' mintupdate if you haven't yet or if it wasn't part of the upgrade process,
If you don't do this, you have broken packages anyway. So people who want to update have no choice but to do it.
reference2myself

killer de bug wrote:
reference2myself wrote:mintupdate got updated. looks like they removed the kernel selection feature instead of making it work.
This is due to the nature of Debian. You don't have 2 or 3 Kernels available like in Ubuntu. So this section is useless.
Of course, one can argue that you are not obliged to install a new kernel between Wheezy and Jessie. I agree. But then don't select it in Mint Update and it's fine. :)
reference2myself wrote:FYI for those that updated you can go ahead and remove mintupdate-debian and replace it with plain ol' mintupdate if you haven't yet or if it wasn't part of the upgrade process,
If you don't do this, you have broken packages anyway. So people who want to update have no choice but to do it.
Ahh, I usually grab a newer kernel from upstream or from another repo, I'm using 3.18.7 right now because it has better ps3 controller support, it'd be cool if you could add a source and select the kernel you want from the update manager but no biggie. I guess it makes sense to remove that feature if the default repos don't offer different kernels. And yeah I wasn't sure about the mintupdate, when I first updated in November I had to do it manually.
reference2myself

Someone might want to delete this thread when betsy is officially released. It could confuse people with dated information.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Or at least lock it with a message at the beginning saying that the info the thread contains is outdated and only archived for research/testing purposes.
I've found a good bit of information here that I can apply not only to LMDE but also to Debian and other Debian-based distros, so I'd prefer it not be deleted. :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
reference2myself

Fred Barclay wrote:Or at least lock it with a message at the beginning saying that the info the thread contains is outdated and only archived for research/testing purposes.
I've found a good bit of information here that I can apply not only to LMDE but also to Debian and other Debian-based distros, so I'd prefer it not be deleted. :)
Yeah, maybe I should update the original post. I'll do it when it's released I guess.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

No thread are deleted on this forum. We keep the information.

When Betsy will be released, just stop posting here and this topic will fall asleep...
Fifis

Post by Fifis »

Oh yes. I have just installed Betsy. It took me three system crashes and three re-installations, but the result was worth it.
How to do it:
  1. I installed the standard LMDE 201413 Cinnamon x64 from scratch, modified the /etc/apt/sources.list as described in the first message and updated package lists.
  2. Log in as a

Code: Select all

su
    Time to mess with the system files!
  3. Important: two packages need to be put on hold.

echo "dpkg hold" | dpkg --set-selections
    echo "gsettings-desktop-schemas hold" | dpkg --set-selections
  4. Then:

apt-get upgrade
    # Or this:
    aptitude dist-upgrade
    # Or this:
    apt-get upgrade -f
    in random... I mean, empirically determined order.
  5. At some point (sadly, I do not remember when), dpkg must be updated manually:

aptitude install dpkg
  6. Reboot. The system will fail to log in. Why? Because Cinnamon is gone! You have to install it from the command line, using the recovery boot option. Yes, and connect to the network manually from the terminal. On some notebooks,

ip link set wlan0 up
    does not always work. Do not forget about the

iwlist wlan0 scan > 1.txt
    edit 1.txt
    (because there are 50 networks scrolling in a blink of an eye). And then,

ifconfig wlan0 up
    dhclient wlan0
  7. OK. The net is up, time to

apt-get update && apt-get install cinnamon
  8. The other package we had put on hold, gsettings-desktop-schemas, seems to have not been upgraded. Time to do that.
  9. After an update, a mintsystem update appeared. An update? Devs’ tireless work? Just install it.
  10. After cinnamon had been installed, with all its dependencies, I ran aptitude and saw an alluring item: task-cinnamon-desktop. Why not? So it had been installed:

aptitude install task-cinnamon-desktop
  11. Last, the virtualbox stuff that did nothing (presumably) aside from popping annoying console failure commands on startup, so I did

aptitude purge virtualbox-guest-dkms virtualbox-guest-x11 virtualbox-guest-utils
The list may look blatantly dilettantish, but... palpating Betsy’s outstanding features comes at a price (sorry for the double entendre).

Thank you for your awesome contributions. The bug that had crashed Cinnamon when adjusting the volume via button or the tray icon has been fixed for good.

Gonna compile and install all the scientific software (octave, gretl, texstudio, ...), then recompile gcc, then recompile the kernel, then recompile all those things compiled before to compare the performance... If any bugs rise to the surface, reports will be sent.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

:shock:

Peoples who will follow this, will just crash their system... :|
Fifis wrote: [*]Reboot. The system will fail to log in. Why? Because Cinnamon is gone!
Because you rebooted a half upgraded system...
Fifis wrote: After an update, a mintsystem update appeared. An update? Devs’ tireless work? Just install it.
you just did not finish the update before rebooting...
Fifis

Post by Fifis »

Phew. Thank you for warning other users against my method. The problem was just... maybe I forgot to install the whole cinnamon thing after the bulk of packages had been upgraded.

So far, only bugs appeared on my system:
1. The Synaptic package manager won’t start from the menu. No password request. However, sudo synaptic from the terminal works fine. On the other hand, just synaptic won’t work (“because '/usr/sbin' is not included in the PATH environment variable”), but /usr/sbin/synaptic launches the non-administrative mode just fine.
2. In Nemo, the NTFS hard drive cannot be mounted with “Not authorized to perform operation” error. When I try to right-click and Open as Root, nothing happens. sudo nemo does not list any hard drives in the Devices section on the left.

OK, it is obvious that I have no right to complain about the bugs after such a painful upgrade to a highly unstable version (in Clem’s words, “<...> Betsy repositories knowing nobody is (or at least “should be”) using it”), and obviously this is a piece of cake with ntfs-3g in the terminal at hand... Just saying what other people can experience if they follow the path of trial and error to Betsy upgrade.
reference2myself

Another Betsy success story! :lol:
reference2myself

Fifis wrote:1. The Synaptic package manager won’t start from the menu. No password request. However, sudo synaptic from the terminal works fine. On the other hand, just synaptic won’t work (“because '/usr/sbin' is not included in the PATH environment variable”), but /usr/sbin/synaptic launches the non-administrative mode just fine.
Works fine for me, the command for the launcher in my menu is "synaptic-pkexec"
Fifis wrote:2. In Nemo, the NTFS hard drive cannot be mounted with “Not authorized to perform operation” error. When I try to right-click and Open as Root, nothing happens. sudo nemo does not list any hard drives in the Devices section on the left.
My ntfs drive mounts fine and is accessible in nemo, I have it set up to mount at boot though in fstab. My ntfs drive and all my other ones are listed under devices as well. Is your nemo version 2.4.5?
reference2myself

Got lots of updates from Jessie today. Is it just me that always runs into a problem updating libc6? Need the i386 version for steam and it never plays nice. It failed updating with mintupdate and broke like 8 packages, worked fine after I did it in synaptic though which also grabbed several other updates that mintupdate didn't see. Might have just been because I didn't update the cache right before updating so mintupdate didn't see those other updates yet and some were needed to make it go smooth.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

reference2myself wrote: which also grabbed several other updates that mintupdate didn't see. Might have just been because I didn't update the cache right before updating so mintupdate didn't see those other updates yet and some were needed to make it go smooth.
Are you sure it's not a question of settings? By default, update level 4 and 5 are not visible.

Anyway, I keep recommending using the terminal to update. At least you see all the packages that will be changed clearly listed :)
reference2myself

killer de bug wrote:Are you sure it's not a question of settings? By default, update level 4 and 5 are not visible.

Anyway, I keep recommending using the terminal to update. At least you see all the packages that will be changed clearly listed :)
I had level 4 and 5 enabled, and I have it set to show updates that require the addition and removal of other packages. I have it set to only check for updates every 3 hours though so I'm assuming those other updates landed later. And yeah, the terminal is the way to go.

Return to “LMDE Archive”