Why Linux? Why not Microsoft?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
James_Smith
Level 4
Level 4

Why Linux? Why not Microsoft?

Post by James_Smith »

I am new to Linux and I like it (despite some newbie issues, that I've been resolving as I go), but I wonder why you (yes, you) went away from Microsoft products and embraced Linux?

For me, Linux looks cleaner, and doesn't seem as clunky as MS Windows.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Mac
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I have been using Linux for years and I am still a newbie
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Why Linux? Why not Microsoft?

Post by JeremyB »

I can't stand Win 8 as it looks like something made for a smartphone and not a PC. I still have a few laptops that are dual boot with win 7/Ubuntu 14.04 or Linux Mint 17 or Ubuntu 14.10 and even one with LM 13. There are some downsides as Windows will always have better hardware support just because of the market share
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I've been the IT industry for many years, and finally became very tired of constantly cleaning windows (pun intended!), and tired of the constant maintenance, and tired of the lack of security. I just got tired! Now I feel I constantly have a clean house, with minimal maintenance, and have no need to worry about security !

regards,
richy
James_Smith
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James_Smith »

JeremyB wrote:I can't stand Win 8 as it looks like something made for a smartphone and not a PC. I still have a few laptops that are dual boot with win 7/Ubuntu 14.04 or Linux Mint 17 or Ubuntu 14.10 and even one with LM 13. There are some downsides as Windows will always have better hardware support just because of the market share
+1, Jeremy. I've been thinking about going Linux for awhile now—even before Windows 8 came out. When I installed 8, I thought it was terrible. No start button and I couldn't even figure out how to turn the thing off without pressing and holding the power button. To my mind, as a user, 8.1 was only a marginal improvement. A few months ago, I read an article in a computer magazine in which the author talked about his recent experiences with Windows 10 Beta. He said that Microsoft claims that Windows 10 will be such an improvement that they're skipping right past 9, but, in his estimation, Windows 10 shoud properly be called Windows 8.2, Yes, the Start button makes a return appearance, but other than that, it's a clunky, ugly piece of junk. That's when I started investigating Linux (first Ubuntu and then Mint).
Last edited by James_Smith on Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have been using Linux for years and I am still a newbie
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I hated Microsoft clear back in the DOS days. Being an engineer, I had some idea about what quality software was, and Microsoft wasn't it. Then I learned about Microsoft's illegal and immoral business practices, and that pretty much sealed the deal for me. I gritted my teeth and used Microsoft stuff for a number of years, until 2002 when I learned about Linux. I tried it and was hooked. You may find it interesting that I know two pastors who use Linux, and one of the reasons is that they don't feel comfortable giving money to a company with business practices like Microsoft's.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

richyrich wrote:I've been the IT industry for many years, and finally became very tired of constantly cleaning windows (pun intended!), and tired of the constant maintenance, and tired of the lack of security. I just got tired! Now I feel I constantly have a clean house, with minimal maintenance, and have no need to worry about security !

regards,
richy
+1.

Being the Friends & Family Guru Guy:

- it;s the nagware
- it's the crapware
- it's those horrid Toolbars :evil:
- it's those Javapop-up ( yes - you get them on Linux O/Ss too )
- it's always having to clean out the system crap.
- it's way too expensive. :o
and it's a near Monopoly :twisted:
- try buying a PC that hasn't got the Worlds Most Popular Virus on it :!:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
fraxinus_63

Post by fraxinus_63 »

It's nice that I don't have to pay a licence fee

... but there are more important reasons why I use Linux - security, supreme ease of maintenance once you are used to it, and a feeling of control over one's working life. For example, if I power down a Linux laptop in a cafe, when I am about to run and catch a bus, I can be confident that my screen will not suddenly display an order from the OS telling me that I must NOT switch my computer off for several minutes while it installs updates!

Now into my twelfth year of running Linux every day and still loving it.
Last edited by fraxinus_63 on Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Linux, because:

- much better security;
- much less maintenance;
- better configureable;
- more choice all around;
- more fun.

Pretty cool stuff, Linux. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

James_Smith wrote:...but I wonder why you (yes, you) went away from Microsoft products and embraced Linux?
Because I can do things (and more) in Linux what I used to do in Windows. (Not to mention the *perks* that comes with FLOSS.)
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

James_Smith wrote:...I wonder why you (yes, you) went away from Microsoft products and embraced Linux?
1) Privacy issues
2) Licensing issues
3) Security issues
4) Crapware (malware, nagware, bloatware).
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

but I wonder why you (yes, you) went away from Microsoft products and embraced Linux?

Windows was just a step between Unix and Linux. A step in a mud puddle.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Paladin2019

Post by Paladin2019 »

James_Smith wrote:but I wonder why you (yes, you) went away from Microsoft products and embraced Linux?
My ol' reliable gaming PC has always had Vista on it. Need I say more? I'd been putting off an upgrade for years but it got to the point where my version of MS office was so old I couldn't even open job description documents when I applied for a promotion at work. I needed a modern, full-featured OS that would run well on increasingly antiquated hardware and since I had a spare HDD in that machine I felt happy I could try Linux with minimal risk (not to mention minimal expense).

I was hooked immediately. The learning curve was a bit of a shock, but every problem solved was a triumph and I was finally enjoying computer tech for its own sake again. I started with Ubuntu and messed around with a few DE's until I settled on XFCE as my favourite. After some failed experiments and clean reinstalls I finally settled on Mint 17.1 XFCE and couldn't be happier. After years of struggling with Vista The Slug I finally have a fast, secure, user friendly system that I feel in control of and does everything I need.

I'm dual booting with Windows for games, but otherwise I'm a total Linux convert. I'm installing Mint on my gran's PC soon, and my wife wants it on her laptop as well. Spreading the word!
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

1. Free software.
2. Security.
3. Clean system.
4. Very responsive.
5. No viruses.
6. ...

PS: The list can be very long but this are my main points. ;)
Rich J
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rich J »

ALL of the above x 2! :D

In 3 years of exclusive Linux use the only issues I've had have been self-imposed (lack of knowledge/being an idiot etc!). Cinnamon (VERY occasionally) reports it's crashed when coming out of suspend - usually when switching user, for some reason? - but 1 click fires it up again no problem.

Tried a few versions of Ubuntu then settled on Mint 17 Cinnamon. No problems with security, nor with updating. No need for housekeeping. Excellent support from many sources worldwide. And all this on hardware about 10yrs old with 2Gb Ram that would have been in the bin long ago if still running Windows.........

Endless config options/software choice means I can have a system I want and work in the way I want and not be bound by others. All of this should cost a fortune - but doesn't.....

Rock on!! And a huge THANK YOU to everyone who makes this possible :wink:

Rich
Rich J
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

richyrich wrote:I've been the IT industry for many years, and finally became very tired of constantly cleaning windows (pun intended!), and tired of the constant maintenance, and tired of the lack of security. I just got tired! Now I feel I constantly have a clean house, with minimal maintenance, and have no need to worry about security !

regards,
richy
Same here. The never ending anti-malware parade gets old very quickly.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
Destin Faroda

Post by Destin Faroda »

Reasons for Linux:
- elegant and fast partitioning thanks to gparted (formatting a Windows partition takes hours!)
- easy and fast installation (Windows takes an eternity to install)
- Linux is slim, fast and efficient
- The security concept is excellent
- Linux programmers seem to be more competent than Windows programmers
- Linux' central update policy is excellent
- When Linux detects several pieces of new hardware, it still works
- Linux is free and receives constant updates
nuagedeboucane

Post by nuagedeboucane »

Main reasons for switching:

1)End of support for W$ XP. I was given some old computers from family members. I have 3 kids, so we're 5 in total at home. We have 1.8 computer for each of us. :P

2) Financal. So, upgrading each of my compusaurus with that crap of 8.x was out of the question. None of them would have been able to run this ressource hogging disaster. And for financial reason, too. I could not afford to buy 8 licences..... eehh ....8 computers. :cry:

With linux, all my old material runs pretty well, and I can continue to live my computing passion without putting me into bankrupcy. :lol:
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

My primary reason was the same as nuagedeboucane above. I had 2 kids and their mom - 4 computers to maintain. The licensing for the OS and the associated software was simply out of the question.
The next significant advantange of linux is that you do not normally have to search all over for the programs you need, and download programs that are questionable. Most of what you need is in the repository and tested for your linux version.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie »

Where to begin??
1) = Viruses. I was afflicted with several in one year that made my system totally unusable, even WITH antivirus software--the last one a full paid version which didn't help. Going on 5 years now using Linux, no such problems whatsoever.
2) = Hated calling M$ every time I installed their o.s. just to ask for their permission to "activate" it. I paid my money to them already, and I felt that I didn't need to keep running to them and begging them for the privilege of being allowed to use their software.
3) = Seemed like every new piece of software I installed had dozens of popups wanting me to buy their products.
4) = System slow-downs got worse and worse over time.
4) = On and on and on and on . . .

In fairness, I must admit that XP itself was a stable and high-quality o.s. that worked for me very well. However, my Windos experience was ruined by the parent company's utterly stupid policies.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

The top reason for me is the Windows updates. A little over 100 megabytes of updates would take an hour or more downloading, installing, rebooting, etc. Linux mint can download and install 400 MB of updates in 5 minutes with a good internet connection.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1

Return to “Chat about Linux”