Choosing alternate WM at login still loads MATE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dukereg

Choosing alternate WM at login still loads MATE

Post by dukereg »

I've been wanting to try out an alternate window manager, so weeks ago I installed xmonad. I tried to log in with xmonad selected as the WM on the login screen but it logged into MATE as normal so I assumed I hadn't installed xmonad correctly and gave up.

Then today I decided to try Awesome window manager, so I installed "awesome" and another awesome related package (and dependencies of course) and logged out. Sure enough, there was awesome in the list of window managers on the login screen. I selected it and logged in but normal MATE came up.

Is there something I have to do to use a different window manager other than installing it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
chrisonmint

Re: Choosing alternate WM at login still loads MATE

Post by chrisonmint »

dukereg wrote:I've been wanting to try out an alternate window manager, so weeks ago I installed xmonad. I tried to log in with xmonad selected as the WM on the login screen but it logged into MATE as normal so I assumed I hadn't installed xmonad correctly and gave up.

Then today I decided to try Awesome window manager, so I installed "awesome" and another awesome related package (and dependencies of course) and logged out. Sure enough, there was awesome in the list of window managers on the login screen. I selected it and logged in but normal MATE came up.

Is there something I have to do to use a different window manager other than installing it?
I have installed alternative desktop environments and it worked fine. I put LXDE and Xfce on a MATE installation... at the login screen, I select my user and then choose the session options - for me it was a list of "xclient script", MATE, Xfce, openbox (that didnt work) and LXDE. Clicking on one of them, then typing in my password brought up a box asking if i wanted to swap the session permanently or just for this login. both options performed as expected.

if you are just talking about "window managers" that is slightly different to a "desktop environment". have a look at the following links, they should help. i think you need to set up a xinitrc to load a fresh session with these funky window managers you have chosen. expect to see a very simple desktop experience, you might have to add panels and a start menu alternative etc.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Display_manager (note that we use MDM on mint)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinitrc

and for a nice HOW-TO, see this article:
http://www.maketecheasier.com/easily-cr ... vironment/
dukereg

Post by dukereg »

Thank you for those links. I have kind of unusual preferences that I don't yet have the understanding to get working.

Ironic that you link to the Arch wiki because I had already decided that installing Arch as my next project would give me the background I need to be able to customise linux to my own ideal OS. :)
chrisonmint

Post by chrisonmint »

dukereg wrote: Ironic that you link to the Arch wiki because I had already decided that installing Arch as my next project would give me the background I need to be able to customise linux to my own ideal OS. :)
They have a great website for detailed info on the system components, but I took one look at the installation guide and thought "forget that! "

I'm happy to tinker and hack about but don't want to learn how to build my own os from scratch. Best of luck to you!
fietsuco

Post by fietsuco »

Uping this thread as I have the same problem as you.

I installed the i3 wm then logged out, selected it in the session menu, entered my password and … BAM, the session menu changes back to MATE :shock: and LMDE2 pops up with MATE.

Anyone to help us?
fietsuco

Post by fietsuco »

Found the solution here.

In short, MDModern seems to be the culprit. Change to any other Login Screen (I chose Mint-X).

Return to “Software & Applications”