Xfce 4.12

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Xfce 4.12

Post by exploder »

Saw this today and thought I would pass it along.

http://xfce.org/about/tour

Looks like some very nice improvements! :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: Xfce 4.12

Post by killer de bug »

Oh it's out.
Nice improvements. It's look good. If I have to leave Cinnamon again, for sure I will go back to XFCE. :)
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Finally... It's excellent news indeed! :)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have become quite an Xfce fan in the last couple of months. :D I stumbled across Korora 21 Xfce when I was having hardware problems with Mint and have enjoyed it ever since. All the things that some of the newer desktop environments have taken away are still here in Xfce. Cinnamon is the only other desktop environment that seems to be putting things back, so I also have it installed. I am downloading a Manjaro development release to take a look at Xfce 4.12 from the live DVD.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

This release can be downloaded either as a set of individual packages or as a single fat tarball including all these individual versions: http://archive.xfce.org/xfce/4.12
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Thanks! I found that a repo with 4.12 will be available for Fedora 20 and 21. Korora 21 Xfce is based on Fedora 21 so I should be able to upgrade in the near future. :D I was able to try out Xfce 4.12 from the Manjaro development Live DVD, it seemed very solid and stable. :D
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You can add the Xubuntu development PPA to your system to upgrade your Xfce components to 4.12. It's a development PPA, and this is a first release of 4.12, so assume there may be some bugs left to find (maybe you'll be the lucky one to find 'em :wink:).

Add the PPA: ppa:xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.12

Then update through Update Manager.

(Without having the old and new version running side-by-side, I'm hard pressed to spot the differences... I'll do a fresh Xfce 4.10 install later to take another look :lol:)
catfish12

Post by catfish12 »

:roll: none of these ppa seem to upgrade me i using linux mint 17.1 xfce 64bit 14.04 based any idea thanks
i tried compiling hit a brick wall

seems no good for mint 17.1 14.04 base at the moment wait till later
Last edited by catfish12 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The Wep Upd8 folks have put together a summary with screenshots of the changes, including a video demonstration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmXIejvZciA

Now, not meaning to ruffle any feathers, but don't watch this video in the evening--the music is making me fall asleep here :)
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

^
Very helpful video, xenopeek, thanks. I had been using 4.12 on Arch for a while and was not even aware of many of the changes. They are pretty subtle but welcome. XFCE is the only desktop that works consistently for me with NO isssues.
Most notable (for me) are the welcome changes to Mousepad. Its almost as good now as the OLD Gedit... :wink: I'll start using it again instead of Medit.
Also welcome changes to "Whisker Menu", which to me is the best menu of them all. Thunar just keeps getting better.

Anyone looking for drastic changes in XFCE 4.12 will be dissapointed, but those hard-core XFCE devotees welcome the excellent and useful changes..
I left Mint when LMDE XFCE was dropped, and not a Ubuntu fan, so the main edition XFCE was not attractive.

(Yes, that music is 'sleepy-time')... :lol:
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

I'm just curious will Mint 17.1 have XFCE 4.12 as official update someday?
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

RacerBG wrote:I'm just curious will Mint 17.1 have XFCE 4.12 as official update someday?
It's a new release, so if it will ever come, most probably it will be only in 17.2.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Portions of Xfce 4.12 have already made their way onto your Linux Mint 17.1 system, as repositories have several "4.11" versions of xfce4 packages with changes imported from Debian experimental (http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywo ... ection=all). Checking the changelogs on those you can spot changes from the Xfce 4.12 release notes.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Clem just added it to the roadmap for 17.2.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Monsta wrote:Clem just added it to the roadmap for 17.2.
That's all I want! 8)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Trying out the new features on Manjaro 8.12, 4.11 packages at the moment but the final 4.12 packages are on the way. I noticed quite a few subtle changes. Intelligent hiding of the panel is great and the hover over positions of icons and text is much nicer. The Whisker menu now lets you control how many items to display in the recent section and has transparency now, very nice!

I have not tried updating my Korora Xfce installs just yet although there is a Xfce 4.12 repo set up now. I will probably leave the install on the laptop alone since it was so difficult to get it running right. I find myself liking Manjaro and might just keep it installed if it does alright with updates. I found a variation of the Numix Light theme that uses blue as the highlight color in the repos and Manjaro's variation of the Numix Circle icons really looks nice!

The Xfce developers really did a nice job on the new release! I appreciate the conservative approach they took. :D

Return to “Open Chat”