bitlocker - dual boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mbohets

bitlocker - dual boot

Post by mbohets »

Hi, my work PC windows partition has recently been protected by bitlocker.
This removed grub and installed a Microsoft bootloader, so I cannot boot into my linux partition anymore, I removed the linux partition.

Is there a way to install Linux again on the remaining partition without changing the bitlocker boot hash ?
For example installing linux on the free HD partition and boot from an usb stick with only a small boot partition that points to the rest of linux on the HD,
partition in order not to change the bitlocker bootsector ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: bitlocker - dual boot

Post by austin.texas »

If you want to install Mint to the hard drive, you can install Grub to the USB drive during installation.
Before running the installation program, open a terminal and enter the command:

Code: Select all

lsblk
That will tell you if your USB is /dev/sdc or /dev/sdd or ?
Then use the "Something Else" option during installation and chose /dev/sd? for the bootloader location.
It is at the bottom of the partitioning screen.
bootloadersdbScreenshot.png
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
mbohets

Re: bitlocker - dual boot

Post by mbohets »

Thx, I'll give it a try as soon as I get the bitlocker access code you need to unlock the PC when you forget the digit code needed when starting the PC.
Up to now I did not dare to boot from USB as I was affraid it would corrupt the bitlocker checksum.

Return to “Installation & Boot”