Solved - Brother MFC j430w Not scaning again!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Chrisnz

Solved - Brother MFC j430w Not scaning again!

Post by Chrisnz »

Hi - I too are facing this problem recently. Dont know what upset the system but only get it to print and lost scanning detection again.

Running M17.1
Using XScan and Simple Scan, both fail to detect Bro430.

Can you help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
joecar.314

Re: Brother MFC j430w Not scaning again!

Post by joecar.314 »

Hello,

I was having problems with this too and spent all night yesterday and just figured out this morninig I did not extract/unzip some 'tar archive' files to install package software needed on my pc in order for the scanner to work.

I also have a Brother MFC J430W, so follow these steps brother and it should solve you scanner problem.

step 1 I have gone to the brother site ...http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... cj430w_all

step 2 I have selected the deb version to download.

step 3 I downloaded 3 files from Printer Driver (a) Driver Install Tool, (b) LPR printer driver (deb package) & (c) CUPSwrapper printer driver (deb package)
then downlaoded 3 files for Scanner Drivers. Note: select 64 bit or 32 bit based on your CPU capablitilites, I have a 64-bit Athlon so i downlaoded
(a) Scanner Drivers Scan-key-tool 64bit (deb package), (b) Scanner Setting file (deb package)

I then downlaoded - ***and maybe someone can confirm, I'm not sure if it is necessary***- PC-FAX Drivers and Source Codes (a) LPR PC-FAX driver
(deb package) (b) CUPS wrapper PC-FAX driver (deb package) (c) CUPS wrapper Printer driver Source Codes (d) CUPS wrapper Printer driver Source
Codes (e) CUPS wrapper PC-FAX driver Source Codes

step 4 I went to Home folder, then Downloads folder then right clicked on - I think they are called Tar Archives, that's what they say in the properties when you
right click and check Properties... anyways,you look for brown icons with a down arrow then I selected Extract Here - which unzips a new package file in
downloads folder- these 3 brown icons (a) linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1.gz, (b) mfcj430wcupswrapper-src-3.0.0-1.tar.gz (c) brmfc-src-1.0.0-1.i386.tar.gz

step 4 I then double clicked on each of the 6 debian packages, the white green mint icons- and installed each one on the drivers on the PC.

step 5 Open Xsane or Simply Scan from the Menu on bottom right corner and select/click Scan to scan item. If you do not haveSimply Scan or Xsane you may seach for it on Synaptic Package and apply/install package on your PC. I had Simply Scan but I I wanted Xsane. I tested both and each one works :-)
joecar.314

Post by joecar.314 »

Chrisnz, has the problem been solved?
Chrisnz

Post by Chrisnz »

Sorry been away - just reviewing things again as I need the scanner this week. Will post shortly.
Chrisnz

Post by Chrisnz »

This error with the Scanner has happened a few times (was working then stops a few months later) so currently here is the situation. Thanks Joecar for your thorough Notes.

I expunged all "Sane" files and reloaded via Synap's to start clean. They are the current versions that Brother hold btw.

Reboot
Try again - Xsane starts then Same Error - "no device available" :(

Tested to make sure the printer works and it does. "1 out of 2" but still no scanner.

Round 2?

Thinking shall I try the Windoz Brother disk setup and then go through Wine, see it that works as a "work around" for now?
Ranthe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ranthe »

HI Chrisnz,

I've got a Brother MFC-J430W as well - here's how I got things working using the "Driver Install Tool":
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 92#p926092
Chrisnz

Post by Chrisnz »

Well about a "Ton" of files got added .... and .... "Abracadabera" "hey presto" - it worked again!!
(Hi Five)

Step five and six did it.

Many Thanks - Solved my problem.
Chrisnz

Re: Brother MFC j430w Not scaning again! Solved

Post by Chrisnz »

Solved

Return to “Printers & Scanners”