DVD disks - Totem locks up hard, Mplayer can't play the disk

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

DVD disks - Totem locks up hard, Mplayer can't play the disk

Post by Husse »

The title says it all. I've done some searching but not stumbled upon something useful.
When I insert a disk Totem starts, and the movie on the disk begins to play, but not smoth - it stops and restarts several times. After a minute or two it freezes so hard I had to use the reset button. Strangely enough I could use Alt+F1 and Alt+F2 but could not "Quit" and turn off .
Mplayer compains that it could not open the DVD player
"Error Failed to open dvd://1" I'd expect /dev/hdd or /media/cdrom1 but that might just be ignorance :)
Could be the disk - I'll have to find another one - not a big movie fan :)
//edit// Did not find an advice in another post to change the preferences in Mplayer to use xv. It now plays a bit longer that totem and then locks up hard, but I can use the rest of the system.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I've managed to find out a bit more. One DVD (with Joe Labero, probably not Contentscrambled) plays just fine, but the one that doesn't play may have some problems with (the dreaded) css.
If I start totem from a terminal and then play I get the following output in the terminal:

----------------------
mats@mats-desktop:~$ totem
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 1.1.2 from http://xine.sf.net
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.9 for DVD access
libdvdread: Attempting to use device /dev/hdd mounted on /media/cdrom1 for CSS authentication
libdvdread: Couldn't find device name.
libdvdnav: Can't read name block. Probably not a DVD-ROM device.
libdvdnav: Unable to find map file '/home/mats/.dvdnav/.map'
libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00fd0000. Regions: 2
libdvdnav: Language 'en' not found, using 'sv' instead
libdvdnav: Menu Languages available: sv
libdvdnav: Language 'en' not found, using 'sv' instead
libdvdnav: Menu Languages available: sv

** (totem:5487): CRITICAL **: totem_lang_table_parse_start_tag: assertion `strlen (*attr_values) == 3' failed
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 1.1.2 from http://xine.sf.net
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.9 for DVD access
libdvdread: Attempting to use device /dev/hdd mounted on /media/cdrom1 for CSS authentication
libdvdread: Couldn't find device name.
libdvdnav: Can't read name block. Probably not a DVD-ROM device.
libdvdnav: Unable to find map file '/home/mats/.dvdnav/.map'
libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00fd0000. Regions: 2

----------------------------
libdvdcss is installed as far as I can see (and could hardly have been used if not).
/home/mats/.dvdnav/.map does not exist as stated above.
That dvd works ok in a DVD player in a TV set.
This seems to be a common problem, I've seen a lot of posts in the ubuntu forums about this, sadly none that helps me. I can live without DVD movies, but I definitely want things to work :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

OK - the movie I can't play will not play in Win XP (Power DVD) either. Another movie plays just fine in Totem, all disks and the player are zone 2, so this might be just one of those things...
Husse

Post by Husse »

My "original problem" was obviously hardware. I've played the movie w/o problems in the DVD burner I just installed

Return to “Sound”