Will you try LMDE Betsy RC?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Will you test LMDE Betsy RC?

Yes
65%
No
22%
Undecided
13%

Total votes: 23

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Will you try LMDE Betsy RC?

Post by Fred Barclay »

Now that Betsy is almost at the RC release, I'm curious how many of us will be testing it.

EDIT: Betsy RC has been released!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Will you try LMDE Betsy RC?

Post by jimallyn »

Undecided, but probably not.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
robert-e

Post by robert-e »

No; ldme is based off debian, which has gone the systemd route. I still might stay with mint of some other flavor. I came to linux from windows/servicehost, and am not likely to embrace the similar systemd/pid1. I guess it is wait and see.

Cheers
Bob
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Bob--you do know that Betsy will continue to use sysvinit, right?
Clem wants to give systemd at least 2 more years to mature before adding it to any Mint system.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
robert-e

Post by robert-e »

Yes, I do. That said, I am staying away from anything debian related in the meantime. Thanks.

Bob
Distro-Don

Post by Distro-Don »

robert-e wrote:Yes, I do. That said, I am staying away from anything debian related in the meantime. Thanks.

Bob
You do know that Mint 17.x is based on Ubuntu, which is based on Debian don't you?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

I won't try it; it's not different enough to be of interest to me. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
robert-e

Post by robert-e »

@ Distro-Don,
Yes. ATM I am still using mint 13. When that is not updated anymore, I will look to see what non-systemd os is available. Again, debian is committed, so I am not spending anymore time on debian, ubuntu, and maybe even mint; depends on clem, I guess. Right now I have a spare hard drive with pclinuxos installed, and I spend some times getting familiar with it.

Cheers,
Bob
curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan »

I just installed LMDE2RC Mate as one of two Mint systems on my laptop. I'm noticing a few graphical gui glitches - which I will try to document when I have the time - but the system seems to be quite workable. I had a month or so ago tried to install Debian Wheezy on this box (Dell Inspiron 3531), but the installation had issues with my graphics drivers and failed. Irony is, I had no problem installing the same distro to a virtualbox. In any case, this latest LMDE RC is encouraging. No problems with graphics drivers, et al. I look forward to the stable release.

As per systemd, since I am an old retired sysadmin and now an "end user", I am primarily concerned with my (and my wife's) experience in using desktop/laptops to do our work, play with novel software, and so forth. LinuxMint in general has been a great experience toward that end, and as I no longer have to worry about servers and how they affect thousands of downstream users, I will only gripe about various "init" software if it breaks my "end user" experience. If I were still a sysadmin running linux/unix/windows servers, I would be concerned at that level.

Anyway, thank you to the LMDE developers for putting out a fit and potentially stable Debian fork. Much appreciated.
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

I am getting problems with LMDE 2 Mate too - the mouse pointer doesn't align to the item on the screen. I did install it to Virtual box and worked there fine as a live dvd, but was very bad once installed. Also when selecting a UK keyboard the @ and " keys both output ". So I will wait for final release. Now to try Cinnamom....
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”