<CLOSED>Trouble in Betsy

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

<CLOSED>Trouble in Betsy

Post by Fred Barclay »

First let me start off by saying that I am aware that bugs should be mentioned here, and I have already done so:http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2781 However, I thought I'd ask around a bit more and see if anyone could help me.
I'm having some strange graphical issues with Betsy Cinnamon 32-bit. Most prominent is that black bars form across the background. The only (temporary) fix is to either log out and log back in, or to change the desktop background. Alas, the bars soon return.
Also, certain icons in Firefox like to pull a vanishing act--usually just before I need them. :( The space that they were in is still there, but the icon itself is invisible.

On the blog, Clem replied and said
the desktop background itself...[is] usually a sign of the GPU not rendering things correctly (I’ve seen that happen with ATI chipsets, usually a driver issue). For Firefox, it’s likely to be a GPU rendering issue as well. If it affects the background and Firefox it probably affects multiple areas of the OS. Try to see if you can run a different driver or a different version of the driver. You can look at inxi -Gx also to get more info.
So inxi -Gx returns:

Code: Select all

fred@mark14-62 ~ $ inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@59.79hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 915G x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.3.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
I am unaware of what drivers I might need--I've never had to install any before, and everything online seems to be about Nvidia drivers, which I don't seem to have. So I need help installing the correct drivers for my machine, so Betsy can cooperate!
Interestingly, I've never had any trouble in LMDE 1.

Thanks!
Last edited by Fred Barclay on Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Trouble in Betsy

Post by Fred Barclay »

Unfortunately LMDE does not have a Drivers Manager. :( Wish it did.

I've tried looking for both binaries and source code, but it is turning into a hunt down an eternal, bottomless rabbit hole.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
reference2myself

Post by reference2myself »

If you're not sure the vendor and model of your video device you can use these commands to check.

$ lspci
$ lspci -v
$ lspci -v | less

Alternatively you could install "hardinfo" with "sudo apt-get install hardinfo" and check in there. It will show up in your menu under Administration/System Profiler and Benchmark.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

It is apparently the "82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller."
I have the HP Pavillion s7410n computer.
- Albert Einstein
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Guys: thanks for your help! I've started a new thread in the correct location, with a bit more info, so I'm marking this thread as CLOSED.
- Albert Einstein

Return to “LMDE Archive”