Put updatemanager back on panel?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
dmauldin74
Level 1
Level 1

Put updatemanager back on panel?

Post by dmauldin74 » Sat May 26, 2012 10:23 pm

Hi all. I just started using Cinnamon with the release of Mint 13, and I accidentally removed the update manager icon from my panel. It's the craziest thing, but I just can't figure out how to get it back! Any ideas?

cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Noobish Question

Post by cwwgateway » Sat May 26, 2012 11:07 pm

dmauldin74 wrote:Hi all. I just started using Cinnamon with the release of Mint 13, and I accidentally removed the update manager icon from my panel. It's the craziest thing, but I just can't figure out how to get it back! Any ideas?
Did you search update manager in the menu? If that doesn't work, you can go to the terminal and enter

Code: Select all

mintupdate
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid

dmauldin74
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dmauldin74 » Sun May 27, 2012 8:25 am

Yes, thanks. I may have not made myself entirely clear. I can update just fine, it's in the menu. I just can't get the icon back that is in the panel. It's an applet or extension that is set by default to alert you when you have updates, but I accidentally deleted it.

cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cwwgateway » Sun May 27, 2012 10:58 am

dmauldin74 wrote:Yes, thanks. I may have not made myself entirely clear. I can update just fine, it's in the menu. I just can't get the icon back that is in the panel. It's an applet or extension that is set by default to alert you when you have updates, but I accidentally deleted it.
Oh. In that case, open Cinnamon Settings and go to Applets. Then check the applet called System Tray.
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing

eric k
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Put updatemanager back on panel?

Post by eric k » Sun May 27, 2012 11:49 am

Update Manager isn't a pinned applet; it only appears in the system tray when running, even if it's just running "in the background", similar to how Pidgin, Banshee, and VLC behave.

Launching the program via the Menu should bring it back, and by default it's set to autostart on boot; it'll stay there so long as you don't right-click and select "Quit", it isn't a panel applet you control via Cinnamon Settings.
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775, Xeon 3.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2-800, EVGA 8800GT, WD Caviar 250 GB SATA-2

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Crunchbang Waldorf, Mint 13 w/Cinnamon, Elementary Luna Beta, Puppy

cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Put updatemanager back on panel?

Post by cwwgateway » Sun May 27, 2012 11:54 am

eric k wrote:Update Manager isn't a pinned applet; it only appears in the system tray when running, even if it's just running "in the background", similar to how Pidgin, Banshee, and VLC behave.

Launching the program via the Menu should bring it back, and by default it's set to autostart on boot; it'll stay there so long as you don't right-click and select "Quit", it isn't a panel applet you control via Cinnamon Settings.
I think he removed the System Tray Applet. This is the applet that would make the Update Manager icon appear on the panel. He says he can launch the update manager and it still doesn't make the icon appear on the panel, which would mean he doesn't have the System Tray Applet.

dmauldin74
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dmauldin74 » Sun May 27, 2012 2:26 pm

cwwgateway wrote:
dmauldin74 wrote:Yes, thanks. I may have not made myself entirely clear. I can update just fine, it's in the menu. I just can't get the icon back that is in the panel. It's an applet or extension that is set by default to alert you when you have updates, but I accidentally deleted it.
Oh. In that case, open Cinnamon Settings and go to Applets. Then check the applet called System Tray.
Thanks a million! That did it.

cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cwwgateway » Sun May 27, 2012 9:34 pm

dmauldin74 wrote:
cwwgateway wrote:
Thanks a million! That did it.
I'm glad I could help :) .

Return to “Newbie Questions”