Password everytime i do something i

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
africanlion
Level 3
Level 3

Password everytime i do something i

Post by africanlion » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:03 pm

Hey there guys. Newbie here. I had never even heard of Linux Mint till 3 days ago when i installed Ubuntu which i was advised was too heavy formy system and a techy friend recommended i try Linux Mint insteead. Seems was a great recommendation as so far i like how it is though i am only 1 hour into the experience 8)

First off is there a way to turn off the password prompt whenever i try to do anything like update (its annoying me) :D

Secondly any recommendations so i get the best out of this OS. My computer is mainly used for surfing news, emails, forum concerning my beloved south africa, youtube music and films and games for my kids though i am yet to familiarise myself with the games on it. Nothing heavy really

Third, the update/download manager is a little confusing for me. Is there a way of controlling where it saves or installs stuff to? Its confusing for me that it doesnt seem to run as windows install manager

Thanks in adavance for your response and hats off to the developers of this suite 8)

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Password everytime i do something i

Post by Reorx » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:03 am

A_L;

1) See "Password" sticky above >>> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=74851

2) On systems with limited RAM (1 GB), if you open several video and/or audio browser instances and each is downloading video &/or audio, this may cause the browser to want more RAM than is available leading to swapping which will have a negative impact on performance... Avoiding multiple open downloading windows is better for performance - especially on systems with a limited RAM space... :)

3) Is there a way to control where an install routine puts stuff - it seems reasonable that there should be a way but I have never found it (or even looked) - why does it matter? I have never been concerned where (disk location) a package installed itself. The only time I actually cared was when I installed a client package which provides "security" using certificates... after the install, I couldn't log in to the website in question... Turns out that the generic install routine D/L from the manufacturers website (not from the Mint repository) placed the certificates in the wrong location. Moving the certificates to the right location fixed the problem...

How or why a Linux install routine might be seen as "confusing" is unclear to me... Every Linux install routine I have seen has been simple - typically just click & go if you use a GUI and type & go if you use the command line...

Since you mentioned Windoze, I thought this might be an opportunity to include a link to one of my favorite Lin_vs._Win articles >>> http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! :D
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

Ginsu543
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ginsu543 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:59 am

Definitely +1 on what Reorx said.

It seems in large part your concerns arise because you're expecting Linux Mint to behave like Windows. While in many ways they are similar (they are both operating systems, after all), there are significant differences you will have to adjust to if you plan on continuing to use Linux.

I totally understand about the password thing, but it's there because Linux was designed to be secure. Therefore, if a program wants to make changes that will affect core components of the operating system, Linux will ask you to approve that change by giving your password. It can be a hassle now, but it is one of the key reasons why Linux doesn't suffer from viruses like Windows does. I do think that as you continue to use Linux, you will input your password often enough that you will get used to it and it will no longer be annoying. Hopefully, understanding why you are being asked to do it will help alleviate your feelings.

For basic web surfing, emails, YouTube playback, videos, and music, Linux should be no different from your experience in Windows. One major difference might be the choices available to you for each application. Since there are hundreds of programs available for free installation from the Mint repositories (you can access them in Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager), you can choose which ones you prefer. Sometimes, having so many choices can be overwhelming. I think the Mint Team did a great job of selecting programs to be installed by default (which means that you already have most programs you need installed when you install the operating system), but you are by no means limited to them. For example, you can continue to use Firefox to surf the web, or you can try Chrome or Opera. For videos, you can use Totem or VLC (Mint comes with both). For music, you can use Banshee (default) or you can download Rhythmbox or any other media player. I believe this highlights one of the key tenets of Linux, which is CHOICE. We can choose what we want to have on our computers, and we are not limited by what Microsoft or Apple tells us to use.

Admittedly, Linux is behind the curve as far as games are concerned, especially if you're talking about commercial games. Most commercial game companies don't bother to make Linux versions of their games. However, there is a growing community of native Linux games. You can find many of them here. If you're running Linux Mint 13, most games made for Ubuntu 12.04 should work. In addition, you can run many Windows-based games through WINE, which is a compatibility layer for Windows libraries. You can check out the list of games that run on WINE here.

Finally, Linux doesn't install programs the same way as Windows does. So you don't get to choose where on the C:/ drive you want to install programs. Instead, the update/download manager installs packages which contain all the programs necessary for the application to work. Even in this, I believe, Linux does a better job than Windows in that the update/download manager or Synaptic Package Manager will put all the components of an application in the correct places of the file system. Not only that, it remembers where it put all these files so that when you remove an application, it will remove all the files associated with that application. As a result, Linux doesn't accrue orphan files on your hard drive and in your memory. This means that your Linux install won't slow down over time as Windows tends to do.
Main: Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0 GHz | Asus P6X58D Premium | 12 GB Mushkin Redline PC3-12800 7-8-7-24 | EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti | Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64 / OS X 10.7.3
Portables: Toshiba Portege R200 | Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 32 / Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7

africanlion
Level 3
Level 3

Post by africanlion » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:21 am

Thanks guys for your prompt and very informative responses. Maybe i didnt word it better but my questions were based more on ignorance rather than annoyance if that makes sense :wink: I am using Linux Mint Cinnamon by the way

Already i very much like what i have seen so far and will stick to Linux. I have already 512MB RAM and already ordered an extra 1GB so hopefully i will see an improvement in performance

So in a nutshell and in conclusion there is nothing that Windows can do that Linux Mint cant do right? 8) If thats the case i am converted and will spread the word to anyone who will listen.

Cheers

africanlion
Level 3
Level 3

Post by africanlion » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:42 pm

Sorry guys me again. I have tried installing my Epson Rx640 and the cd is not even running. When i connect the printer to the pc the pc quickly recognises the printer. However this only allows me to print but not scan. To scan i need to have the software installed. How do i install the software when the cd is not doing anything :shock:

oobetimer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by oobetimer » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:00 pm

africanlion wrote:Sorry guys me again. I have tried installing my Epson Rx640 and the cd is not even running. When i connect the printer to the pc the pc quickly recognises the printer. However this only allows me to print but not scan. To scan i need to have the software installed. How do i install the software when the cd is not doing anything :shock:
Keep it simple, install Xsane via package management .. :wink:

A video about Xsane: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkYWucl_8XA&feature=plcp

Ginsu543
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ginsu543 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:51 pm

Definitely +1 on what oobetimer said. But LM 13 Cinnamon already comes with Simple Scan installed (look in the Menu under Graphics). It might already be all that you need. But Xsane is certainly the Linux standard as far as scanning applications are concerned.
Main: Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0 GHz | Asus P6X58D Premium | 12 GB Mushkin Redline PC3-12800 7-8-7-24 | EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti | Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64 / OS X 10.7.3
Portables: Toshiba Portege R200 | Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 32 / Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7

Return to “Newbie Questions”