Using Mutter with Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Mozenrath
Level 4
Level 4

Using Mutter with Cinnamon

Post by Mozenrath »

I recently got a netbook and installed my favorite Linux distro on it(hint: Mint 13).

The problem is that Cinnamon significantly slows things down. It's not completely unusable, but when I am using the Cinnamon session, the frame rate of videos I play goes down and playback is choppy. Other aspects of the interface also aren't as snappy as they could be.

I've tried out LXDE and Gnome 3 Classic(no effects), and they both work exceptionally well. No frame skipping at all, snappy interface, etc.

But the interfaces with those DEs still can't beat the awesomeness of Cinnamon. The Cinnamon menu and panel are so much better than most everything else. And no, I am not interested in Unity 2d.

I would really like to use Cinnamon. From what I can tell, the slowdown might not be from the Cinnamon interface itself, but the kind of compositing it uses. Cinnamon seems to be sort of a hybrid of itself and Compiz, almost being its own compositor. The reason I say this is because I don't see Compiz as a process. Even with the effects off, things aren't quite as good as they could be.

So is it possible to run Cinnamon using Mutter or even Metacity? I've tried this, but Cinnamon completely disappears and doesn't work when I replace with Mutter. Meanwhile, LXDE and Gnome 3 Classic work just fine with Mutter.

Return to “Cinnamon”