Sound only works if booted from LiveCD.

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BAMFGeeko

Post by BAMFGeeko »

I have been working at this problem for the better part of a week with no avail. I figured I would ask you wonderful people for help.

My sound system, which is a Labtec Pulse 385 PC, will not play any sounds (with the exception of the start up sound) when booted from the HDD. All I get for sound output on the computer is "Dummy Output". I made sure the speakers worked, tried adjusting the alsamixer and read many a forum posting, but nothing seemed to work. I also read this document about troubleshooting sound, and I did everything it told me to do.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iTl ... c5fs83n8gw

I attempted to boot from the LiveCD, and the sound worked! Unfortunately, I have no idea what to do from here.
Let me know if you need me to paste any output code.

Sincerely,
A Linux Newbie
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

Which linux Mint Desktop do you use?
BAMFGeeko

Re: Sound only works if booted from LiveCD.

Post by BAMFGeeko »

animaguy wrote:Which linux Mint Desktop do you use?
I use the Cinnamon desktop.
mank_in

Re: Sound only works if booted from LiveCD.

Post by mank_in »

post output of :

Code: Select all

inxi -A
maybe you can try unmute device in alsamixer ( if you see MM , unmute with "m: keys )

You can try change audio preference in media player too

VLC>tool>preferences>audio change output audio module
Gnome media player>edit>preferences>player>audio output

change default to something else like pulse audio /alsa or hda intel analog. Restart the player and try playing audio file.

Return to “Other topics”