Before you post please read how to get help
lordamit
Level 1
Level 1

Nemo Continuously Consuming Memory

Post by lordamit »

Hi,
I think this screenshot should suffice:

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/lordamit/9070292968/]http://www.flickr.com/photos/lordamit/9070292968/[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/lordamit/9070292968/]Selection_004[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/lordamit/]lordamit[/url], on Flickr

Nemo starts with low memory consumption, and continuously consumes RAM. Every time I check system monitor, i notice that its memory usage has increased. The increase is slow, but it is definitely taking place. I didn't notice it until it consumed so much memory that everything became slow. This has been happening continuously in Linux MInt 15 Cinnamon 64 bit.
I have all the upgrades installed.

Output of inxi -Fxz

Code: Select all

System:    Host: amit-laptop Kernel: 3.8.0-19-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.3) 
           Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 15 Olivia
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Pavilion dv4-5110tx Notebook version: 068B100000250E10001000000
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 1837 version: 53.41 Bios: Insyde version: F.35 date: 01/04/2013
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-3210M CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9976.46 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1200.00 MHz 2: 1200.00 MHz 3: 1200.00 MHz 4: 1200.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           Card-2: NVIDIA GF108M [GeForce GT 630M] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.13.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.1hz, 1360x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.1.1 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.8.0-19-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 driver: iwlwifi ver: in-tree: bus-ID: 08:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller 
           driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 0a:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 640.1GB (33.1% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MK6476GS size: 640.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 69G used: 14G (22%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 17.18GB used: 0.62GB (4%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 64.0C mobo: 64.0C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 224 Uptime: 10:56 Memory: 2539.5/3848.3MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.7.3 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
Please let me know if I need to provide any further detail. It takes place randomly, but I probably noticed it regularly when my secondary display is attached with my laptop - i.e. two displays are being used continuously for long duration.
hugothebas
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Nemo Continuously Consuming Memory

Post by hugothebas »

Same here, but using just one monitor
GuzziGuy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GuzziGuy »

Am bumping this since I am seeing exactly the same. It usually stays stable when no windows are open, but as soon as I open one - not doing anything in it - I see it ticking up at about maybe 3mb/minute. I've often seen it up to 3GB or more after a day or so. Like the OP, I am Mint 15 64-bit, with all updates installed.

I thought it may be nemo-dropbox, since I see that starting also when I start Nemo from the command line - but I removed it and the issue persists. Any ideas as to what to check? It's no big deal to restart Nemo but I am planning to deploy Mint to some other folk and would prefer to figure this out.
Orbmiser
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Orbmiser »

"It's no big deal to restart Nemo but I am planning to deploy Mint to some other folk and would prefer to figure this out."
Usually with others that are non-tech savy then I would be going with something stable and long-term like a LTS version.
Not the latest. But a older more mature and bug free version.
As latest doesn't necessarily mean Greatest....Just a thought.
xerpi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xerpi »

Same here, nemo's consumed RAM keeps growing and growing...
GuzziGuy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GuzziGuy »

Orbmiser wrote:
Usually with others that are non-tech savy then I would be going with something stable and long-term like a LTS version.
Not the latest. But a older more mature and bug free version.
As latest doesn't necessarily mean Greatest....Just a thought.
That is a good point, granted :) But having trialled various distros/DEs myself, Mint 15 seems to be where it all clicks, it has various updates over previous versions which make it that bit more accessible. And apart from this RAM issue in Nemo, it's rock solid, and I would happily give it to anyone for their a desktop/productivity computer.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

There is certainly something strange going on for you guys. I have had mint 15 x64 running on the machine I am typing this on for about 10 hours and nemo's memory usage is only around 25 megabytes. I also have dropbox running and that actually uses more memory than nemo at around 44mb. Are you doing anything in particular while this happens? Maybe try to narrow down what's causing the problem. It would probably also be a good idea to file a bug report on the nemo github page so the developers know that this is a problem.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
GuzziGuy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GuzziGuy »

JosephM wrote:There is certainly something strange going on for you guys. I have had mint 15 x64 running on the machine I am typing this on for about 10 hours and nemo's memory usage is only around 25 megabytes.
Thanks for the reply - good to know it's not everyone!

I think I'm getting somewhere with this - I was at the stage where each time I quit and restarted Nemo, it would start at around 40mb and then just continuously tick up (3+GB within less than a day) - even with no windows open. So I figured it may be to do with the desktop display since that's all that Nemo is doing with nothing else displayed... and inadvertently solved it with no real explanation :|
  • Memory would increase continuously upon restarting Nemo without taking any action
  • I moved all items (about 20) from my desktop and restarted Nemo - starts at around 40mb, no increase
  • Then gradually moved the items back, watching for memory increases with each few in case it was a specific item - there were none
  • With all the original items back, tried restarting Nemo - all as it should be, no memory increase
So to the folk that are having the same problem - can you try this? Simply move everything off your desktop, restart Nemo and move it back again?
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Well that would help explain some of the difference. I don't keep anything on my desktop. No shortcuts, no saved files. Glad you figured out what the problem was.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
MichaelTunnell
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MichaelTunnell »

GuzziGuy wrote:So to the folk that are having the same problem - can you try this? Simply move everything off your desktop, restart Nemo and move it back again?
I am having a memory usage issue with Nemo as well but I do not have any items on my desktop and never do because it just annoys me to have stuff there.

My current usage of Nemo is 779.8MB but it is not open and I am not using it at all.

This is a rather big problem...it is using more memory than next 10 process COMBINED and this includes Firefox, Spotify, Cinnamon, Dropbox, and Pidgin just to name a few.

--------------------------------

Update:
I have found the fix at Launchpad.net!

Open a terminal and run the following...
Michael Webster wrote:You can install the latest Nemo off the nightly PPA:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-nightly
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -traring install nemo

then log out/back in
This has solved it for me...I suggest installing the fix and then deactivating the nightlies unless you want to alpha test code for Linux Mint.

How to Disable the Nightly PPA:
Menu -> Preferences -> Software Sources -> PPAs

Uncheck the entry of "gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-nightly (Sources)" and "gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-nightly".

You can also remove the PPAs as long as you don't Purge it but the best option is to just disable it as you may need it again in the future...never know. :)

Anyway, hope this helps.
thebudman420
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thebudman420 »

MichaelTunnell wrote:
GuzziGuy wrote:So to the folk that are having the same problem - can you try this? Simply move everything off your desktop, restart Nemo and move it back again?
I am having a memory usage issue with Nemo as well but I do not have any items on my desktop and never do because it just annoys me to have stuff there.

My current usage of Nemo is 779.8MB but it is not open and I am not using it at all.

This is a rather big problem...it is using more memory than next 10 process COMBINED and this includes Firefox, Spotify, Cinnamon, Dropbox, and Pidgin just to name a few.

--------------------------------

Update:
I have found the fix at Launchpad.net!

Open a terminal and run the following...

sudo apt-get update

then log out/back in
This has solved it for me...I suggest installing the fix and then deactivating the nightlies unless you want to alpha test code for Linux Mint.

How to Disable the Nightly PPA:
Menu -> Preferences -> Software Sources -> PPAs

Uncheck the entry of "gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-nightly (Sources)" and "gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-nightly".

You can also remove the PPAs as long as you don't Purge it but the best option is to just disable it as you may need it again in the future...never know. :)

Anyway, hope this helps.
I did this and i lost my desktop background and i can't figure out how to get it back, I tried reinstalling nemo rebooting but no desktop background will show, At least my memory was drasticly reduced though as nemo was taking over 3gb of memory on an 8gb system. *edit to say im a newb to all this linux stuff although i have played with linux time after time. I have a lot to learn yet.
SorinN
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SorinN »

sudo apt-get update
But we need that fix backported to Olivia ..I mean for the large Mate population
a "single people fix" at a time is not a valid solution (well if he can understand what to do..)

I've tried anyway and I've seen that Compiz start to go crazy with Nemo 1.8.5

Well not all peoples using the traditional desktop metaphor is using mate-panel - is not very ergonomic

AWN + Cardapio + DockbarX <- as a pack == a better tool in terms of Usability / Elegance ..therefore I use Compiz as WM, Nemo as FM and Mate as DE, everything was perfect until I discovered the CPU / Memory issue. The problem is that I can't leave AWN because I use this tool for few years now - a panel / advanced panel BTW - not as a dock, as many can think.

When I've changed Nemo 1.8.4 with 1.8.5 - everything was well until I've started Nemo first time >> then Compiz started a terrible shakin' dance...
THis break-dance occur only in presence of Nemo as Desktop Manager -> Nautilus / Caja / Marlin == no problem with Compiz, I don't know why - probably some glib version problems

Nemo 1.8.5 got a new / better way to assign a program to a file type, thus, we need this feature backported to Olivia too

Return to “Software & Applications”