[SOLVED] unable to move window buttons in MATE 1.6 Mint 13

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
JasonR
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] unable to move window buttons in MATE 1.6 Mint 13

Post by JasonR »

Hi. I run Scientific Linux with Gnome 2 on my daily computer, so MATE is very familiar. This is a new install, Mint 13 with MATE 1.6 added from MATE repos. I like window buttons on the left. I've tried Desktop Settings through the menu to switch to Mac style buttons on left. Nothing changes. I've gone through the configuration editor, apps>marco>general, and made sure the string reads "close,maximize,minimize:" (without quotes) Even tried downloading gconf-editor and going through metacity. Nothing. Buttons don't move. Any ideas? This just a bug I don't know about? Thanks.
Last edited by JasonR on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: unable to move window buttons in MATE 1.6 Mint 13

Post by xenopeek »

MATE 1.6 uses dconf, so install dconf-tools package and run dconf-editor. Go to org > mate > marco > general and edit button-layout there. With the default Mint-X theme at least, this works fine and the buttons shift to the left easily when I move the colon to the end of the line.

MATE 1.6 may look like GNOME 2, but underneath they are migrating to modern technologies as offered by GNOME 3. So gconf is no longer useful.
JasonR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JasonR »

xenopeek wrote:MATE 1.6 uses dconf, so install dconf-tools package and run dconf-editor. Go to org > mate > marco > general and edit button-layout there. With the default Mint-X theme at least, this works fine and the buttons shift to the left easily when I move the colon to the end of the line.

MATE 1.6 may look like GNOME 2, but underneath they are migrating to modern technologies as offered by GNOME 3. So gconf is no longer useful.
Okay, many thanks. This makes sense. So the configuration editor packaged with MATE 1.6 is not the one that really works? Mmmm...

I'll edit this and mark is solved when I try it later.
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

There doesn't come a configuration editor with MATE 1.6. You can use the dconf-editor, which is a GNOME 3 project. But you install it yourself. If you had the gconf-editor installed, that's probably because that is what you would use on MATE 1.4 and earlier.
JasonR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JasonR »

Okay, if anyone else runs into this problem, installing dconf-tools and running dconf-editor does the trick. Thanks, xenopeek!

Also, anyone else, when I upgraded from MATE 1.4 to 1.6, mateconfig remained. I had to remove it.

Return to “MATE”