The PC won't wake up after suspend or hibernate

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
yy1990cn
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:14 pm

The PC won't wake up after suspend or hibernate

Post by yy1990cn »

when I try to wake up thee PC after suspend or hibernate ,the PC is working, but the screen stays black. every time I must turn off the power, and start computer to solve the problem. what 's wrong with the os. Linux mint 14 MATE version didn't have this problem. my hardware and software is as follows:
Acer 4730G
Intel Core 2 T5870 2.0GHZ
1GB DDR2
NVIDIA GEFORCE 9300m GS

os: Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon

User avatar
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6883
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 1:41 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: The PC won't wake up after suspend or hibernate

Post by Spearmint2 »

when that happens, try this first. Press CTRL-ALT-F1 key combo, followed by CTRL-ALT-F8 key combo. That toggles between a terminal look and the GUI and will wake it back up sometimes. If that doesn't work then it's possible upon hibernation and sleep your system doesn't know where the SWAP file is, so it can't use it for the wakeup. That latter happens when some change in the swap partition has happened, causing Linux to give it a new UUID. The hibernation then is looking for it at the old UUID.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=136960&hilit=hibernate

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=137623&hilit=hibernate
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

User avatar
Spinnekop
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:22 pm
Location: East Molesey, Surrey, UK

Re: The PC won't wake up after suspend or hibernate

Post by Spinnekop »

I had problems with my HP laptop coming out of suspend with the 3.8 kernel.upgraded to 3.9 and it was resolved.....

yy1990cn
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: The PC won't wake up after suspend or hibernate

Post by yy1990cn »

Spearmint2 wrote:when that happens, try this first. Press CTRL-ALT-F1 key combo, followed by CTRL-ALT-F8 key combo. That toggles between a terminal look and the GUI and will wake it back up sometimes. If that doesn't work then it's possible upon hibernation and sleep your system doesn't know where the SWAP file is, so it can't use it for the wakeup. That latter happens when some change in the swap partition has happened, causing Linux to give it a new UUID. The hibernation then is looking for it at the old UUID.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=136960&hilit=hibernate

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=137623&hilit=hibernate
CTRL-ALT- (F1 to F12) don't give me any response.

The UUID of swap in /etc/fstab: deb574e1-3e55-47d6-9bdb-c70308256b54
The UUID I see in Gparted: deb574e1-3e55-47d6-9bdb-c70308256b54

the two UUID is same. I haven't modified /etc/fstab. so I think the UUID is correct.
since linux mint 14 woks well, I don't think there is something wrong with BIOS. this problem really annoys me. Maybe I should upgrade the kernel...
Last edited by yy1990cn on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

yy1990cn
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: The PC won't wake up after suspend or hibernate

Post by yy1990cn »

Spinnekop wrote:I had problems with my HP laptop coming out of suspend with the 3.8 kernel.upgraded to 3.9 and it was resolved.....
thanks for your reply. I am a first time linux mint user. Any instructions for me to upgrade kernel

User avatar
Spinnekop
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:22 pm
Location: East Molesey, Surrey, UK

Re: The PC won't wake up after suspend or hibernate

Post by Spinnekop »

Try this

http://www.upubuntu.com/2013/05/linux-kernel-394-released-for.html

Note Well: Via the terminal, issue these commands under Ubuntu/Linux Mint at your own risk:

Good luck and you can always remove it if it causes more problems.

Suggest making a note of the remove command - just in case :mrgreen:

Edit: I just upgraded to that version myself and so far so good. :roll:

yy1990cn
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: The PC won't wake up after suspend or hibernate

Post by yy1990cn »

Spinnekop wrote:Try this

http://www.upubuntu.com/2013/05/linux-kernel-394-released-for.html

Note Well: Via the terminal, issue these commands under Ubuntu/Linux Mint at your own risk:

Good luck and you can always remove it if it causes more problems.

Suggest making a note of the remove command - just in case :mrgreen:

Edit: I just upgraded to that version myself and so far so good. :roll:
It doesn't work, now I revert to linux mint 14 cinamon. It works well, maybe I should install kernel 3.5

User avatar
Spinnekop
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:22 pm
Location: East Molesey, Surrey, UK

Re: The PC won't wake up after suspend or hibernate

Post by Spinnekop »

When you say it doesn't work, do you mean the kernel upgrade didn't work, the PC doesn't work or the problem still persists? :(

User avatar
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6883
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 1:41 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: The PC won't wake up after suspend or hibernate

Post by Spearmint2 »

yy1990cn wrote: CTRL-ALT- (F1 to F12) don't give me any response.
The UUID of swap in /etc/fstab: deb574e1-3e55-47d6-9bdb-c70308256b54
The UUID I see in Gparted: deb574e1-3e55-47d6-9bdb-c70308256b54
the two UUID is same. I haven't modified /etc/fstab. so I think the UUID is correct.
since linux mint 14 woks well, I don't think there is something wrong with BIOS. this problem really annoys me. Maybe I should upgrade the kernel...

Code: Select all

sudo caja
then open this file

/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume

That is the file which tells hibernate where the swap is. Make sure it has the correct UUID.

then update

Code: Select all

sudo update-initramfs -u
Make sure your swap is at least as large as your RAM, better is 1.5 times larger. You can't shove 4 GB of memory into a 2GB of swap.

Link to info about hibernate in Linux

http://www.howtogeek.com/113923/how-to-re-enable-hibernate-in-ubuntu-12.04/
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

yy1990cn
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: The PC won't wake up after suspend or hibernate

Post by yy1990cn »

Spinnekop wrote:When you say it doesn't work, do you mean the kernel upgrade didn't work, the PC doesn't work or the problem still persists? :(
After I upgrade the kernel, when I try to wake up the PC, the X system crashes.....

yy1990cn
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: The PC won't wake up after suspend or hibernate

Post by yy1990cn »

Spearmint2 wrote:
yy1990cn wrote: CTRL-ALT- (F1 to F12) don't give me any response.
The UUID of swap in /etc/fstab: deb574e1-3e55-47d6-9bdb-c70308256b54
The UUID I see in Gparted: deb574e1-3e55-47d6-9bdb-c70308256b54
the two UUID is same. I haven't modified /etc/fstab. so I think the UUID is correct.
since linux mint 14 woks well, I don't think there is something wrong with BIOS. this problem really annoys me. Maybe I should upgrade the kernel...

Code: Select all

sudo caja
then open this file

/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume

That is the file which tells hibernate where the swap is. Make sure it has the correct UUID.

then update

Code: Select all

sudo update-initramfs -u
Make sure your swap is at least as large as your RAM, better is 1.5 times larger. You can't shove 4 GB of memory into a 2GB of swap.

Link to info about hibernate in Linux

http://www.howtogeek.com/113923/how-to-re-enable-hibernate-in-ubuntu-12.04/
It is a old PC, It has only 1GB RAM, and I gives the swap partition 2GB space, I think it's enough

Outdoor
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:43 am

Re: The PC won't wake up after suspend or hibernate

Post by Outdoor »

Spearmint2 wrote:when that happens, try this first. Press CTRL-ALT-F1 key combo, followed by CTRL-ALT-F8 key combo. That toggles between a terminal look and the GUI and will wake it back up sometimes. If that doesn't work then it's possible upon hibernation and sleep your system doesn't know where the SWAP file is, so it can't use it for the wakeup. That latter happens when some change in the swap partition has happened, causing Linux to give it a new UUID. The hibernation then is looking for it at the old UUID.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... =hibernate

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... =hibernate
I have the same problem. I had to press alt+ctrl+F1 ... login & then to do start x. The problem after start x ... is that chromium doesnt start. I must to reboot the PC. In the background i see chromium process running but it doesn opening...not only chromium. With sudo pm-suspend it is ok. Everythings work grwat, Only when pc is going to sleep by itself. I use a SSD ... 12 GB ram, video 2GB ... its a good pc. Everytings up to date ... some help? Or..how can i cancel auto sleep when i dont touch the PC more than 10 min?

jsb
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:20 am

Re: The PC won't wake up after suspend or hibernate

Post by jsb »

yy1990cn wrote:os: Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon
I was about to post that Mint 15 is not supported since January of 2014, when I noticed that this is a post from 2013 that has been brought back to life. :roll:

FreedomTruth
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:19 am

Re: The PC won't wake up after suspend or hibernate

Post by FreedomTruth »

Outdoor wrote:how can i cancel auto sleep when i dont touch the PC more than 10 min?
It should be under the "power" options. It's called Power Manager in LM 18.2 xfce, just look for power in your menu. There should be an option on when to put the system to sleep, just set it to disabled.
jsb wrote:I noticed that this is a post from 2013 that has been brought back to life.
:)
If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free... Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin... Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.

Post Reply

Return to “Newbie Questions”