Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kaefert
Level 2
Level 2

Mint15 efi partition won't mount -> iso8859-1 not found

Postby kaefert » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:01 pm

Today I wanted to install Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon 64bit on my Asus Zenbook UX32VD

My laptop wants to boot uefi, efi or however you call that stuff, at least I did not find a way to turn that stuff off in my bios-setup.

So after I ran into a lot of problems, I decided to go really clean, and create new "gpt" partition tables on both my disks (only one of which I want to use, the other one is just a 24gb ssd that has so slow write speeds in benchmarks that I don't care to use it for anything)

So with starting from a clean system with fresh partition tables (booting the usb disk in uefi-mode) And just clicking through the installer (not changing partiton setup or anything) and rebooting, It seems to boot at first (got a grub menu or something like that) but 2 seconds after I ran into a kernel panic.. For me it looks like the assigning of the disks was different when booting with the usb-stick (sda was the stick) and therefore he wants to boot from sdb but sdb is now the unused 24gb ssd and the installation disk is sda.
http://koega.no-ip.org/misc/asus_zenboo ... G_1892.JPG

But there I am, thinking I am very clever, and trying to repair my grub with
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
Which looks a bit better at first, (takes longer than 2 seconds to fail)
But leaves me with that picture:
http://koega.no-ip.org/misc/asus_zenboo ... G_1895.JPG

When I press "S" the system boots, but I don't get wifi and I don't get my touchpad, and prints me this on the desktop
http://koega.no-ip.org/misc/asus_zenboo ... 122-08.png

And whenever I try to mount the /dev/sda1 efi fat32 partiton with this mint15 installation it fails (live usb system can mount it with no problem) and gives me this line in dmesg output:
FAT-fs (sda1): IO charset iso8859-1 not found

So for that problem I found this reference:
http://serverfault.com/questions/298636 ... e-in-linux
But than I stopped and thought - it's not possible that linux mint 15 was shipped with a kernel that can't mount fat32 filesystems, and if that where true, the live system shouldn't be able to mount it also.. so what is going on, and more importantly, how the hell does one get linux mint 15 running on a system that doesn't like legacy booting from its internal disks?! But somehow I'm guessing I did something wrong, I'm kind of sleep deprevated by now and maybe I missed something. Hope somebody can help me out here, I'm gonna go sleep now.

UPDATE:
Okey, so my problem with the "iso8859-1 not found" is definitly not the fault of the "boot-repair" software, since I now managed to produce this state out of the box with a fresh installation, and manually selecting sda1 (my efi partiton) instead of leaving the default sda as target for grub during the installation (by selecting "something else" to get to the manual partitioning gui.

UPDATE2: So I tried the integrity check of the live-usb-device, it didn't tell me anything but to reboot with any keypress, I also checked the md5sum of my iso, that one's okey. Since it looks like nobody of the 30+ people who have looked at my thread have any idea how to solve or debug my problem, I'm gonna go upstream and try my luck with ubuntu-13.04-desktop-amd64.iso (I like cinnamon better, but I guess I can easier compromise on the desktop environment than I can on having a working environment at all.. Will update this thread once I know if the problem exists there also, if so I'll probably step back one version, I previously had a working Mint14 installation on this machine)

UPDATE3: Ubuntu 13.04 installed fine. I needed to run boot-repair afterwards but now I'ts running fine and I'm now trying to make unity work for me.. I hope the Linux Mint developers will realise that UEFI is the future, and the legacy BIOS will loose relevance with time. Maybe they manage to get Mint16 to work again, maybe if I'm still not happy with unity by then, I'll come back to mint.

UPDATE4: I've got a question: Does Mint15 Cinnamon 64bit not work at all with machines requiring EFI boot or is there just something non-standard EFI stuff from ASUS preventing it to work as designed by the linux mint developers? Could anyone who knows that his machine is booting with EFI tell me if Mint15 works for him?
Last edited by kaefert on Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint15 efi partition won't mount -> iso8859-1 not found

Postby srs5694 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:16 pm

kaefert wrote:But leaves me with that picture:
http://kaefert.is-a-geek.org/misc/asus_ ... G_1895.JPG

From that screen shot:

Code: Select all

[    2.807126]FAT-fs (sda1): IO charset iso8859-1 not found

This indicates a problem with the kernel. The Linux FAT driver relies on character set ("charset") modules to handle various non-ASCII characters. The ISO8859-1 character set encodes characters in various western European languages. In any event, it's required to mount FAT (or at least your FAT). It should be either built into the kernel or available as a module, and neither of those is true with your system as built. This constitutes a bug, and you might want to consider reporting it. (Developers don't generally trawl this forum looking for bugs, so this thread is not likely to result in a bug fix.)

Note that this bug isn't technically an EFI-specific bug; it would affect mounting a FAT filesystem even on a BIOS-mode boot. It is more critical on EFI systems, though, since the EFI System Partition (ESP) is necessarily FAT, and the ESP is usually mounted at boot time.

When I press "S" the system boots, but I don't get wifi and I don't get my touchpad, and prints me this on the desktop
http://kaefert.is-a-geek.org/misc/asus_ ... 122-08.png

That one indicates that your system's video drivers aren't set up optimally. You may be able to fix it by adjusting your X configuration, and in particular by creating an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file; but this can be a bit involved. Try doing a Web search on "creating xorg.conf file" for some tutorials.

UPDATE4: I've got a question: Does Mint15 Cinnamon 64bit not work at all with machines requiring EFI boot or is there just something non-standard EFI stuff from ASUS preventing it to work as designed by the linux mint developers? Could anyone who knows that his machine is booting with EFI tell me if Mint15 works for him?

I don't know offhand what happened to you. I know that I've got a Mint 15 Cinnamon setup installed and working fine under VirtualBox. I don't recall running into the ISO8859-1 problem you encountered, but I might have overcome that and forgotten about it. I do know that the ISO8859-1 kernel problem is not likely to be hardware-specific, since it's strictly a Linux kernel issue that should affect a wide variety of hardware. Some of your other problems may be related to your disk setup, such as the SSD that, based on your description, is basically just dead weight in your computer. (Unused hardware like that is just a problem waiting to happen.)

kaefert
Level 2
Level 2

Postby kaefert » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:25 pm

Well my notebook was delivered with two volumes, one 500gb hard disk and one 24gb SSD --> When I bought it I thought I could use the 24gb as system disk, which should be enough for most any linux distro. But then I tested it's performance and bought a real SSD to replace the 500gb hard disk. I can't remove the 24gb SSD since it's an on board chip or very well hidden.

Yes that was also my conclusion at first, that the kernel simply doesn't seem to be able to mount a FAT filesystem, but why is the live system able to?
And you mean the no wifi no touchpad no fn+keys is not related to this problem and would need to be solved seperatly? my hardware works very well on the live system, why is the live system running of the usb thumb not affected by all those bugs?

edit: also not any network cards (I have 2 usb to lan adapters, and I tested android tethering, both didn't work, but work on every other running linux) and no usb-disks are mounted - so this system is really completely unusable.

edit2: about that X-config setup --> it all worked quite well out of the box with mint14 - and it works well out of the box with ubuntu 13.04 (only that it takes quite some work to make unity into a useable desktop environment, with bottom taskbar, window-icons on the right, virtual desktops, .... but by now it looks acceptable..)

edit3: As you suggested, I did create a bugreport for this, here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1221330

kaefert
Level 2
Level 2

Postby kaefert » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:22 am

okey, so I think the problem was that I used unetbootin to create the setup usb-stick - this worked fine with previous versions but apperantly with mint15 you got to write the iso directly onto the usb-device with dd or a gui that uses it (at least that way now mint15 runs on all machines including the one mentioned above). what I don't like about that is that you cannot use the stick for anything else anymore then, since you can't have a partition table and partitions with this method.

Return to “Installation & Boot”