Mint 15 Olivia Mate- No Window and Button Sounds [Solved]

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
dlguild
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 15 Olivia Mate- No Window and Button Sounds [Solved]

Post by dlguild » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:21 pm

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Mate section. I am setting up a new system to replace a Debian Squeeze system which had plenty of ear candy for those of us with less than perfect vision. Enabling "window and button sounds" in the Mate volume control seems to have no affect at all.

Nothing is muted in either the Alsa mixer or Mate volume control. All other sounds work perfectly (video and audio files). I have searched online for weeks trying to come up with an answer and tried most everything. Note that I am using HDMI output which required a kernel upgrade to get the Intel chip recognized.

On Squeeze I had to install the moblin-sound-theme together with freedesktop-sound-theme_0.7.dfsg-1+01.more.sounds_all.deb and gnome-session-canberra to get window and button sounds. The old freedesktop sound theme will not install on Mint. I did not use PulseAudio on Squeeze. Any help will be most appreciated. :)

Code: Select all

$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: dan-lancaster Kernel: 3.10.5-031005-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.6.3) 
           Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 15 Olivia
Machine:   Mobo: Intel model: D33217GKE version: G76540-202
           Bios: Intel version: GKPPT10H.86A.0042.2013.0422.1439 date: 04/22/2013
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-3217U CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 7191.24 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1692.00 MHz 2: 1296.00 MHz 3: 1602.00 MHz 4: 1782.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.13.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.1.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.10.5-031005-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e ver: 2.3.2-k port: f080 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 [Rainbow Peak] driver: iwlwifi ver: in-tree: bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 382.3GB (20.6% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: PLEXTOR_PX size: 256.1GB 
           2: USB id: /dev/sdb model: Patriot_Memory size: 126.2GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 228G used: 37G (18%) fs: ext4 ID: /boot size: 228M used: 126M (59%) fs: ext2 
           ID: swap-1 size: 8.01GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 216 Uptime: 1:45 Memory: 790.7/7824.3MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.7.3 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
UPDATE: Did a fresh install of Linux Mint Mate 16 on the same hardware. Still no windows or button sounds. :(
Last edited by dlguild on Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dlguild
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 15 Olivia Mate- No Window and Button Sounds

Post by dlguild » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:34 pm

I finally found a solution to the missing windows and button sounds. Here is what worked for me.

Install the following packages which are not installed by default:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libcanberra-gstreamer libcanberra-gtk-module libcanberra-gtk3-module gnome-session-canberra moblin-sound-theme gtk2-engines-moblin
Unbuntu 12.04 apparently dropped support for gtk events by dropping 2 files from /etc/X11/Xsession.d/. See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1869787&page=2 for details. Create these 2 files using a text editor named as follows:

52libcanberra-gtk3-module_add-to-gtk-modules
52libcanberra-gtk-module_add-to-gtk-modules

# This file is sourced by Xsession(5), not executed.

if [ -z "$GTK_MODULES" ] ; then
    GTK_MODULES="canberra-gtk-module"
else
    GTK_MODULES="$GTK_MODULES:canberra-gtk-module"
fi

export GTK_MODULES
Save the file with the name "52libcanberra-gtk-module_add-to-gtk-modules" (no quotes).

Create another flat text file, which is similar:

# This file is sourced by Xsession(5), not executed.

if [ -z "$GTK_MODULES" ] ; then
    GTK_MODULES="canberra-gtk-module"
else
    GTK_MODULES="$GTK_MODULES:canberra-gtk-module"
fi

export GTK_MODULES
Save the file with the name "52libcanberra-gtk3-module_add-to-gtk-modules" (no quotes)

Copy or move both files as superuser to /etc/X11/Xsession.d/

To get all the windows and button sounds, you need to get the old expanded version of the freedesktop sound theme from here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/852410/freedesk ... ds_all.deb

Do NOT try to install the file, even though it is a .deb file. Simply extract the file by right clicking on it and selecting "Extract Here". Open the resultant folder and browse to the subfolder usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo. Compare the sound files to the ones in the system folder /usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo, ignoring the file extention, and copy the ones which are missing in the system folder from the extracted old sound theme folder. Correct the newly added files to the correct file extension, .oga by simply renaming them. "oga" and "ogg" files are the same, but the "ogg" file extension has been depreciated.

A reboot is necessary for the changes to take effect.

Using the volume control preferences, you get the most sounds by setting the sound theme to "default" rather than "LinuxMint". However, I don't like some of the default sounds from the freedesktop theme so I swiped some of the sound files from the Fresh and Clean sound theme which is avaiable here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mjtwk ... ean.tar.gz

Lastly, I ended up with the following folders in /usr/share/sounds: alsa, ekiga, freedesktop, gnome, gtk-events, LInuxMint, mate, moblin, panel, purple, and speech-dispatcher. I really don't know which are installed by default as I copied folders from my Debian Squeeze installation during the early stages of my investigation.

:D

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”