Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
yahu55
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Applications won't launch with no error messages

Post by yahu55 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:50 pm

Hi

At first I have to say that I've been a Linux Mint user since yesterdeay.
My problem is that, some new applications that I've got installed on my computer won't even launch. This happens to Google Chrome and Spotify. I double click them and nothing happens, I checked if they appear in the task manager, but they don't even for a second. This is more weird since other new installed applications (e.g. Opera) work fine.
I tried to launch them via "Terminal", using the gksudo command, but again nothing happenned (there was no error message or anything there).

What can I do to fix this?

I am using Mint 15 xfce on AMD 2600+ (I've heard that there might occur some troubles with this cpu while using linux).
Last edited by yahu55 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ratatosk
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Applications won't launch with no error messages

Post by ratatosk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:17 am

So, what method did you use to install google chrome? Did you download the .deb file and use the mint package installer?

yahu55
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yahu55 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:10 am

Yes, I downloaded it from Chrome's official website and then installed it just by double-clicking. But please notice that I am having this problem also with other applications - e.g Spotify which I got installed using this article: http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... epository/

ratatosk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ratatosk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:34 pm

I'm just more familiar with google chrome - I figured that was a good one to troubleshoot first.

It's tricky because you're not getting any error messages. It sounds like a silly tech-support question, but have you tried reinstalling the program?

Dig through /var/log/ a little bit - do you see any errors pertaining to chrome in there? (syslog, dmesg, etc)

Does the same thing happen if you run google-chrome from the terminal without using gksudo?

yahu55
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yahu55 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:22 pm

I tried to run Chrome using terminal once again (I typed:

Code: Select all

gksudo google-chrome
), and there was something new - an error occured: something like - "You can't run Google Chrome browser as a root". Problem is, I dunno what does it mean?

The log files contain no information about Chrome or other not-working programs.

ratatosk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ratatosk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:52 pm

skip the gksudo part, just type "google-chrome" in your terminal. Do you get any errors then?

yahu55
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yahu55 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:15 pm

I did so, first time the terminal crashed and after the second try I got this:

jasiu@jasiu-desktop ~ $ google-chrome
[0126/211214:ERROR:nacl_helper_linux.cc(236)] NaCl helper process running without a sandbox!
Most likely you need to configure your SUID sandbox correctly
Last edited by yahu55 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ratatosk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ratatosk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:23 pm

At least we have errors! Take a look at this: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki ... evelopment

Hopefully that will give you a few options to try. Let us know how it turns out!

yahu55
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yahu55 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:43 pm

Well, I don't really understand the advices in the page that you mentioned. I also believie that this is for the Chromium (which works fine on my PC actually), not Chrome browser.

However using some advice from other sites, I managed to launch Chrome, but I got only blank sites, and can't even acces the menu.

jasiu@jasiu-desktop ~ $ google-chrome --disable-setuid-sandbox
[2875:2875:0126/214623:ERROR:child_process_launcher.cc(332)] Failed to launch child process

For every action I try to take in Chrome (for example lauching "preferences" or "import your bookmarks" option) I get this message:

[2875:2875:0126/214623:ERROR:child_process_launcher.cc(332)] Failed to launch child process
Ive found out that there are more people having the same problem with Chrome, and It seems that the source of the errors is the lack of SSE 2 support in some older CPUs (like mine):
http://productforums.google.com/forum/# ... EmprHC36WU

Well, I can withstand without Chrome as there are a lot of diffrent browsers (especially Chromium that works on my PC), but there are no other possibilities for programs like Spotify. That bothers me more :(

ratatosk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ratatosk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:53 pm

I can help with the spotify issue: check out http://play.spotify.com. I don't even bother installing the program anymore; i just use the website version :)

yahu55
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yahu55 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:59 pm

Thanks for your advice ratatosk. It's seems that the only thing I can do to enjoy full funcionality of linux is to buy a new PC (with a CPU with SSE2 support) :(

And so, this topic can be closed, I think.

Return to “Xfce”