Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
dazhann2
Level 1
Level 1

problem with mint 17 install

Post by dazhann2 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:21 am

I tried to install mint 17 this weekend. I got, every time, an error message that said " A configuration problem an attempt to configure apt to install additional packages from the cd failed". This happen well into the install process. I think the last process was about fetching 69 packages which seem to happen? I gave up in the end and downloaded and reinstalled mint13. The install was done with a live usb, which worked fine when I booted in to it, and with an internet connection.

crossroads
Level 2
Level 2

Re: problem with mint 17 install

Post by crossroads » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:06 pm

Found a link that might help. "A configuration problem an attempt to configure apt to install additional packages from the cd failed" http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=12635

"Post: #1
Just wanted to post this since I couldn't find anything about this on the forum and eventually figured out a workaround.

If you are installing from USB stick and get the following error..
"An attempt to configure apt to install additional packages from the CD failed"

You will need to manually delete the apt-setup file that points to your cdrom.

1. Run the USB install as normal
2. When you get to the screen where you enter your user name, pc name, etc. CTRL-ALT-F1 to get a shell.
3. Run this command
> sudo rm /usr/lib/ubiquity/apt-setup/generators/40cdrom
for password just press enter
4. Press CTRL-ALT-F7 to get back to your install
5. Fill out your username password, etc as usual and continue and the install should continue and finish.
LinuxMint 17.1 (rebecca) Lenovo X140e. AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics. 800.000 MHz.

It isn't what you know, it's what you think you know that ain't so which gets you in trouble" -- Mark Twain

dazhann2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dazhann2 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:04 pm

Thanks I'll give that a go

Mangoo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mangoo » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:53 am

I have the same problem (i5, 8gb, 64bit install from usb stick). Unfortunatetly Crossroads solution didn't help, the installation went a bit further, but finally the installer crashed without any helpful message.

/var/log/installer/debug:

Code: Select all

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"
(ubiquity:3458): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_radio_button_set_group: assertion '!g_slist_find (group, radio_button)' failed
update_release_notes_label()
No such schema 'com.canonical.indicator.session'
/usr/lib/ubiquity/plugins/ubi-console-setup.py:116: Warning: Source ID 2140 was not found when attempting to remove it
  GLib.source_remove(self.keyboard_layout_timeout_id)
/usr/lib/ubiquity/plugins/ubi-console-setup.py:116: Warning: Source ID 3868 was not found when attempting to remove it
/usr/lib/ubiquity/plugins/ubi-console-setup.py:138: Warning: Source ID 2143 was not found when attempting to remove it
  GLib.source_remove(self.keyboard_variant_timeout_id)
/usr/lib/ubiquity/plugins/ubi-console-setup.py:72: Warning: Source ID 4327 was not found when attempting to remove it
/usr/lib/ubiquity/plugins/ubi-console-setup.py:74: Warning: Source ID 4338 was not found when attempting to remove it
  GLib.source_remove(self.keyboard_variant_timeout_id)
/usr/lib/ubiquity/plugins/ubi-usersetup.py:408: Warning: Source ID 5240 was not found when attempting to remove it
  GLib.source_remove(self.hostname_timeout_id)
java version "1.7.0_51"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.4.6) (7u51-2.4.6-1ubuntu4)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.51-b03, mixed mode)
No such schema 'com.canonical.indicator.session'
and what should be the relevant part of syslog:

Code: Select all

Jun  4 12:17:20 mint in-target: Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com trusty-updates/universe Translation-en_US
Jun  4 12:17:20 mint in-target: Fetched 1.045 kB in 23s (45,4 kB/s)
Jun  4 12:17:20 mint in-target: Reading package lists...
Jun  4 12:17:23 mint in-target: 
Jun  4 12:17:24 mint ubiquity: mv: cannot stat ‘/target/etc/apt/sources.list.new’
Jun  4 12:17:24 mint ubiquity: : No such file or directory
Jun  4 12:17:24 mint /plugininstall.py: log-output -t ubiquity umount /target/cdrom
Jun  4 12:17:24 mint finish-install: Disabling CD in sources.list
Jun  4 12:17:24 mint ubiquity: sed: can't read /target/etc/apt/sources.list: No such file or directory
Jun  4 12:17:24 mint /plugininstall.py: Exception during installation:
Jun  4 12:17:24 mint /plugininstall.py: Traceback (most recent call last):
Jun  4 12:17:24 mint /plugininstall.py:   File "/usr/share/ubiquity/plugininstall.py", line 1772, in <module>
Jun  4 12:17:24 mint /plugininstall.py:     install.run()
Jun  4 12:17:24 mint /plugininstall.py:   File "/usr/share/ubiquity/plugininstall.py", line 78, in wrapper
Jun  4 12:17:24 mint /plugininstall.py:     func(self)
Jun  4 12:17:24 mint /plugininstall.py:   File "/usr/share/ubiquity/plugininstall.py", line 241, in run
Jun  4 12:17:24 mint /plugininstall.py:     self.configure_apt()
Jun  4 12:17:24 mint /plugininstall.py:   File "/usr/share/ubiquity/plugininstall.py", line 656, in configure_apt
Jun  4 12:17:24 mint /plugininstall.py:     "AptSetup failed with code %d" % ret)
Jun  4 12:17:24 mint /plugininstall.py: ubiquity.install_misc.InstallStepError: AptSetup failed with code 1
Jun  4 12:17:24 mint /plugininstall.py: 
Jun  4 12:17:49 mint ubiquity[3458]: log-output -t ubiquity apport-bug ubiquity
Jun  4 12:17:49 mint ubiquity[3458]: Reverting lockdown of the desktop environment.

Mangoo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mangoo » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:01 pm

It works now. I wasn't aware that creating Uefi mode boot sticks with UNetbootin is not a good idea... After reading http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=169121 and using rufus to install the image everything is fine.

crossroads
Level 2
Level 2

Post by crossroads » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:59 am

Excellent post. As you discovered the problem is shared by many, so your solution wil be better telegraphed to those that need it if you edit your subject line with <SOLVED>. When I'm experiencing a problem, I look first for posts tagged with the word <SOLVED> . Moreover, newbies can look at your approach to the problem, the information you displayed, etc, and hopefully emulate the process for themselves. Not all of the suggestions in these forums generate perfect results, but nearly all of them point to road markers that will get a user to the center of a solution that works for them. Thanks.
LinuxMint 17.1 (rebecca) Lenovo X140e. AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics. 800.000 MHz.

It isn't what you know, it's what you think you know that ain't so which gets you in trouble" -- Mark Twain

JKEngineer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JKEngineer » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:50 pm

I have not tried the solution above (by Crossroads - involving the 40cdrom file), because my error message is slightly different.

System: Acer Aspire One (netbook) with a dual boot Win XP and LinuxMint 12 on it.
Using a USB thumb drive with Yumi and Mint 17 Cinnamon on it. No CD drive.
During installation, I select sda5, the Mint 12 partition, for the installation, with reformat to ext4 and mount as /.
I select sda as the device for the boot.

It has failed twice just after configuring apt and installing/configuring (?) 69 of 69 files. The last step it shows is "Scanning the CD-ROM". An error box pops up that says: Installer Crashed. "We're sorry; the installer crashed. After you close this window, we'll allow you to file a bug report using the integrated bug reporting tool. This will gather information about your system and your installation process. The details will be sent to our bug tracker and a developer will attend to the problem as soon as possible."

After the first instance, I closed the window. I did not get and could not find anything about reporting the bug. I also tried booting from the hard disk and got a file not found, with a prompt that said: "grub rescue>". This was in a terminal or DOS style display. I powered off and booted back into the USB thumb drive. I repeated the install. Sda5 was now labeled as Mint 17. Same result.

Any help would be appreciated! I found the instructions in the downloaded manual incomplete and not addressing an update installation. The instructions at http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2 also are very sparse in terms of the installation itself and do not correspond exactly to the information that is shown on the screen during installation.

My first guess is that I have incorrectly selected the "device" for the boot, that is the sda or physical HDD. Should it be a partition? The sda / full HDD is the default.

One other issue I encountered: the second time through the installation, it would not let me reuse the computer name, saying it was already in use on the network. I'm guessing that's now 2 names that I won't be able to use!

TIA.
JK
Last edited by JKEngineer on Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JKEngineer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JKEngineer » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:17 pm

Tried an additional install. I modeled this installation using the "fix" as posted above regarding the file 40cdrom. I first made a copy of the file in the persistence folder (casper-rw).

I ran the install, did the rm command as per above at the point above. When I did CTRL-ALT-F7 I got some message back that included "not a virtual machine" and everything stalled. I rebooted the machine to the USB thumb drive.

I checked the directories and the 40cdrom file was in the persistence folder, but not in the original under /usr. I started the installation. It did not object to reusing the computer name. It went through the "configure apt" and "retrieving" of 69 of 69 files, as before. It then gave the installer crashed message. This was sooner than I encountered it before, when it had proceeded to doing something with the (non-existent) CD-ROM. On closing the message I get back to the liveCD desktop and no sign of a bug report option.

HELP!

JK

JKEngineer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JKEngineer » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:39 pm

If it's not obvious, I am a noob.

I found the System Log Viewer and looked at the syslog. It shows the same error with Exception as shown by Mangoo. I did not think this machine had UEFI, but perhaps that is the problem. I will try Rufus instead of YUMI and report back.

JK

Mangoo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mangoo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:59 pm

I just wanted to propose trying rufus, if only because it worked for me and your error is so similar. /dev/sda should be the right place for the bootloader, assuming you are switching between Mint and Xp with grub, both installed on the same disk. The host name should be a minor problem. If your network works with changing it every time I would just do that for now. You can easily change it again when your installation is complete, probably your router has forgotten about your host by then.

@crossroads: thanks for your reply, it's not my subject though... well and at the moment it's not solved anymore too:)

JKEngineer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JKEngineer » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:14 pm

Thanks Mangoo.

I downloaded Rufus and realized that 1. I did not know which of its options to use and 2. I am running out of flash drives. (The one I used with YUMI had other stuff on it that I did not want to lose. YUMI can install on a flash drive without wiping other stuff. It looks like Rufus wipes the drive.)

I decided to try burning the iso to a dvd and am booting from a portable dvd drive at this very moment. Hopefully that will bypass the issues. I will let you know.

JK

JKEngineer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JKEngineer » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:01 am

Success, eventually.

The DVD approach did NOT work. There may have been some issues on the DVD itself - I was getting read errors, but not clear if they were on the DVD or HDD. It got partway in, but not all the way. I need to check the drive that I used to burn it. It's new and this is the first DVD I have created on it.

I looked at some of the other threads about installer problems and found YUMI cited as an issue more than once. I tried the Universal USB Installer (also from pendrivelunix.com). Went straight through on the first try.

I hope this helps others.

Thanks for your help Mangoo.

JK

siguie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by siguie » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:18 pm

Hello

I'm new to Linux Mint but I have been using various Linux distros for years. I recently installed linux Mint 17 MATE on an old Acer Aspire Revo dual booting with XP as well as on a usb 3.0 Flash Drive and I used a LiveUSB created from UnetBootin for both.

I do not know what causes the error or if it's exactly the same in Cinnamon but I know the bootloader gets messed up and there are 3 packages that register as broken. I managed to get around this by booting into another linux distro first then running Grub Customizer 4.x to fix the bootloader. Then I boot into LM17 and used the synaptic package manager to "see" the broken packages but the packages were fixed after I ran the first update so I just didn't worry about it.

I hope that is helpful to someone and I appologize that I can't be more specific.

dazhann2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dazhann2 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:12 am

Ok finally got round to doing this. Tried with the unetbootin image that failed before.Did crtl alt f1 at name entering stage, typed "sudo rm /usr/ubiquity/apt-setup/generators/40cdrom" pressed enter at password then ctrl alt f7. Black screen is all I got, install did not proceed. Decided unetbootin must be causing this to happen so did a LiLi usb boot. The same error message occurs, so I did the above procedure, only difference, password was not asked for. Did the f7 part,black screen again.
Pretty much over trying to get mint 17 to work. Shame seems like a nice os.It will be hard to convert xp users to mint with these types of issues installing an os.

mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintymatrix » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:32 pm

I am also geting this same problem.
I used unetbootin to create a bootable usb drive for Mint 17 Mate 32 bit.
Tried many times but every time it gets stuck in the same place.

gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:39 pm

mintymatrix wrote:I am also geting this same problem.
I used unetbootin to create a bootable usb drive for Mint 17 Mate 32 bit.
Tried many times but every time it gets stuck in the same place.
Hello,

You might be better off starting a new post. This one isn't that old but has been ignored for about 2 weeks now judging from the post dates. If you have a UEFI or Win 8 system that info might be useful to include.
"There is no gravity, the earth sucks." - Issac Newton @ 75
KDE & Cinnamon 18.1 & Win 10 - ASUS M5A99FX PRO MB, AMD FX-8370 Octo-Core CPU, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 240

Whoocash
Level 1
Level 1

Re: problem with mint 17 install <SOLVED>

Post by Whoocash » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:51 pm

I encountered the problem reported initially by dazhann2 and crossroads and later detailed by Mangoo (after removing the 40cdrom file I get identical error messages) while installing Linux Mint 17 - Cinnamon (64bit) on a Packard Bell Easynote ME69BMP notebook from a USB stick. This relatively new notebook has no optical drives whatsoever so no wonder that it cannot access CD-ROM :wink:

Let me briefly review the solutions suggested so far, and then present the one that worked for me.

Removing one of the apt scripts while it is running results in persistent problems on a later stage of installation, as reported by other people in this thread. On the other hand creating a boot USB stick using different tools (unetbootin, rufus, etc) might improve the situation only by fortuitous coincidence, since in most cases described here the install system boots fine and the installation process starts anyway, which would not be possible if the boot image was broken.

In my case removing the CD-ROM drive from the "Software Sources" before starting the installation process solved the problem. Before starting the installer:
1. go to Menu -> Administration -> Software Sources
2. change to "Additional repositories" tab
3. disable (or Remove permanently) the "cdrom" source

After doing so, the installation runs smoothly until the very end, and the fresh installation boots from the hard drive with no problems. I was installing with the Internet access active to be able to download localization packages for my language, etc. Worth mentioning is that this particular machine ships with Windows 8.1 and is a UEFI-only system so you need an appropriate boot USB (I created mine with rufus). Furthermore, I disabled the Secure Boot, just to be on the safe side :wink:

BTW wouldn't it be a good idea to autodetect external drives from within ubiquity and disable deb cdrom source automatically if no CD-ROM is present on the system?

Hope that helps.

mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Re: problem with mint 17 install <SOLVED>

Post by mintymatrix » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:43 am

Whoocash wrote:I encountered the problem reported initially by dazhann2 and crossroads and later detailed by Mangoo (after removing the 40cdrom file I get identical error messages) while installing Linux Mint 17 - Cinnamon (64bit) on a Packard Bell Easynote ME69BMP notebook from a USB stick. This relatively new notebook has no optical drives whatsoever so no wonder that it cannot access CD-ROM :wink:

Let me briefly review the solutions suggested so far, and then present the one that worked for me.

Removing one of the apt scripts while it is running results in persistent problems on a later stage of installation, as reported by other people in this thread. On the other hand creating a boot USB stick using different tools (unetbootin, rufus, etc) might improve the situation only by fortuitous coincidence, since in most cases described here the install system boots fine and the installation process starts anyway, which would not be possible if the boot image was broken.

In my case removing the CD-ROM drive from the "Software Sources" before starting the installation process solved the problem. Before starting the installer:
1. go to Menu -> Administration -> Software Sources
2. change to "Additional repositories" tab
3. disable (or Remove permanently) the "cdrom" source

After doing so, the installation runs smoothly until the very end, and the fresh installation boots from the hard drive with no problems. I was installing with the Internet access active to be able to download localization packages for my language, etc. Worth mentioning is that this particular machine ships with Windows 8.1 and is a UEFI-only system so you need an appropriate boot USB (I created mine with rufus). Furthermore, I disabled the Secure Boot, just to be on the safe side :wink:

BTW wouldn't it be a good idea to autodetect external drives from within ubiquity and disable deb cdrom source automatically if no CD-ROM is present on the system?

Hope that helps.
Seems a good option. Need to try it out !

mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintymatrix » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:57 am

Though, as advised, I had started a new link but there i was redirected back to this thread.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=171824

Anyway, I tried the method mentioned in http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 95#p868495 but it did not work for me as after entering that code in the terminal, I was neither asked for any password, nor i was taken back to the installation on pressing ctrl+alt+f7.

After a lot of attempts it worked for me, with a different method.

I kept clicking the SKIP button (when ever it was active), where it shows the details of files downloaded / installed during the installation process.
And lated updated the installed Mint.

Thanks all of you.

seletit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by seletit » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:16 am

I think the issue is the USB installer. Make sure to format the USB drive before copying ISO there.

Return to “Installation & Boot”