Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mandoman
Level 3
Level 3

xsession errors

Post by mandoman »

Hello, I have noticed a little file called xsession-errors, and when I opened it, it listed so many errors, I'm wondering how the heck my system is even working. Can someone please explain to me what these are, and how to correct them? I tried googling the topic, but it seems there are a plethora of reports on this issue, and I couldn't pin down any one that helped me know how to handle these errors. Any help is much appreciated.
What was that code again?

Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Re: xsession errors

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

mandoman wrote:Can someone please explain to me what these are, and how to correct them?
Googling "what is xsession-errors used for?" led me to this site. The second reply seems to explain it better:
Linux graphical interfaces (such as GNOME) provide a way to run applications by clicking on icons instead of running them manually on the command-line. However, by doing so, output from the command-line is lost - especially the error output (STDERR).

To deal with this, some display managers (such as GDM) pipe the error output to ~/.xsession-errors, which can then be used for debugging purposes. Note that since all applications launched this way dump to the same log, it can get quite large and difficult to find specific messages.
As for correcting them, well, it depends. Since the file is a catch-all log of error/warning messages from various running GUI programs, you may need to weed through the log file and determine what application generated what error/warning message and when. If you are experiencing a misbehaving application, having a look-through at this file may help in debugging it.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

mandoman
Level 3
Level 3

Re: xsession errors

Post by mandoman »

Yeah, I've been searching around for hours, now, so I see what you mean. I mean, I get it that it reports EVERYTHING that is considered an error. Ones I'm concerned about are labeled "Critical". Such as;

Code: Select all

(vino-server:2379): EggSMClient-CRITICAL **: egg_sm_client_set_mode: assertion 'global_client == NULL || global_client_mode == EGG_SM_CLIENT_MODE_DISABLED' failed
It seems to have something to do with "gedit", but even after removing gedit from the system, the Critical error persists in xsession-errors.

I guess what I'm really asking is if I need to be concerned with these Critical errors, as apposed to every little "catch-all" error? Also, I have come across several references to just eliminating xsession-errors. Is there another log, or way to be alerted to Critical errors?

I'm sorry, but this is all new to me. I've been using Linux for the last three years, and have compiled a pretty good guidelines list of how to handle situations with Terminal Command Line, but this xsession-errors stuff has thrown me a curve ball.

Oh, and also, it keeps telling me

** (mate-panel:2194): WARNING **: couldn't get background pixmap
, and I'm not sure I know to what it's referring. I've also just noticed another "Critical" error

(process:3126): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
This followed an attempt on my part to head off some of these errors by just doing a distro-upgrade, and rebooting. One of the references I googled suggested that.
What was that code again?

Return to “Software & Applications”