Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
dave843
Level 1
Level 1

Need help with Rage XL

Post by dave843 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:13 pm

I am trying to install LM 17 Cinnamon 64 bit on a Shuttle SP35P2V2 small form factor pc from a couple of years ago, but the video card is giving me some trouble. When I run "inxi -SGx", it says:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: athena Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Rage XL PCI bus-ID: 03:09.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 driver: vesa Resolution: 1024x768@0.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.0 Direct Rende
The problem is that it says it is running in software rendering mode, and it looks horrible. I can't read anything in command prompts, and the backgound only covers 2/3 of the screen.

Is there a proprietary driver I should use or something? So far, this is a very basic LM installation.

ofb
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Need help with Rage XL

Post by ofb » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:51 pm

Pat gave you excellent advice already in your other thread about your vid problem.

nomko
Level 10
Level 10

Post by nomko » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:07 am

ofb wrote:Pat gave you excellent advice already in your other thread about your vid problem.
ofb wrote:LM 17 Cinnamon 64 bit
reading that thread i also can conclude that the ATI/AMD Rage series is no longer supported. Even on the ATI/AMD they offer Windows driver(s) for the Discontinued ATI Rage Series Products. you would expect that the Linux kernel still supports these old video cards, but it is not. At some point, even the developers of the kernel must drop support for old devices. The ATI/AMD Rage XL was a low-cost RAGE Pro-based solution. As a low-power solution with capable 2D-acceleration, the chip was used on many low-end graphics cards. The chip was basically a die-shrunk Rage Pro, optimized to be very inexpensive for solutions where only basic graphics output was necessary. That means it has very limited 3D capacities (else no 3D capacity) and not really suitable for a desktop envornment with 3D effects since it has only basic graphics 2D output.

The only solution for you is, like PatH57 already meantioned in his post, is to downgrade to an older kernel release (with the risk of not having fully support for other (newer) devices, downgrade to a very old xorg release and rebuild the xorg.conf file manually. But if you lack the required knowledge to downgrade the kernel and xorg and rebuild the xorg.conf, it will give you some serious headaches.

ofb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ofb » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:55 am

Even on the ATI/AMD they offer Windows driver(s) for the Discontinued ATI Rage Series Products. you would expect that the Linux kernel still supports these old video cards, but it is not.
Actually it would be fair to point out that AMD only offers old Rage drivers for old Windows: Win2k, W9x, WinMe, and WinXP. It had been dropped by the Vista release in 2007.

nomko
Level 10
Level 10

Post by nomko » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:37 pm

ofb wrote:
Even on the ATI/AMD they offer Windows driver(s) for the Discontinued ATI Rage Series Products. you would expect that the Linux kernel still supports these old video cards, but it is not.
Actually it would be fair to point out that AMD only offers old Rage drivers for old Windows: Win2k, W9x, WinMe, and WinXP. It had been dropped by the Vista release in 2007.
Well...fair..not so sure about that. More accurate yes.

dave843
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dave843 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:41 pm

So I guess my choices really are:
1) Go with either an old version of LM and/or an old version of xorg
2) Buy a new computer
3) Buy a new video card

I don't really care much for the first two options. Anyone have any good suggestions for a video card?

ofb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ofb » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:59 pm

Anything reasonably modern. Do you have any specific needs other than typical internet use?

Your computer takes PCIe, yes? Go shopping. Pick a nice budget card or three, then do a search on them including terms like linux, mint, and ubuntu.

You will almost always find somebody somewhere having a bad time with any hardware, because a percentage is always defective. What you want to look for is repeated posted troubles, and avoid those cards.

nomko
Level 10
Level 10

Post by nomko » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:51 pm

dave843 wrote: Shuttle SP35P2V2 small form factor pc from a couple of years ago
ofb wrote: Your computer takes PCIe, yes?
In his first post dave says it's a system from a couple of years ago. The Rage XL is a videocard from the early 21st century. The ATI Rage card is a PCI card, not a PCIe card. There's a big difference between them. So, if dave uses an old/ancient PCI card and he mentions that his system from a few years ago, the answer to buy a PCIe card is not a good advice. Best is that dave checks his system for any other ports/slots. If his system only has PCI, there's not much to do beside to buy a newer Nvidia PCI card...
dave843 wrote: 1) Go with either an old version of LM and/or an old version of xorg
Not a good option. An older version of Mint is no longer maintained and supported. So after installing you won't get any updates whatsoever. Using an old xorg could break your system.
dave843 wrote: 2) Buy a new computer
That's an option if you have money for it... But that's your decision, not mine.
dave843 wrote: 3) Buy a new video card
If you can find a PCI videocard which is newer than your ATI Rage XL...
ofb wrote: Pick a nice budget card or three, then do a search on them including terms like linux, mint, and ubuntu.
First find out which card is still supported and is a PCI card. Then find the right card for the right price. That's the way to do it.

ofb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ofb » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:23 pm

... the specs for his stated system show it includes a PCIe x16 slot. My question was only to confirm that, in case of typos, or in case he hadn't looked.

The XL is indeed a PCI card. Remarkably enough, that PCI card would be in one of the PCI slots of that Shuttle, and not in its PCIe.

dave843
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dave843 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:59 pm

ofb wrote:... the specs for his stated system show it includes a PCIe x16 slot. My question was only to confirm that, in case of typos, or in case he hadn't looked.

The XL is indeed a PCI card. Remarkably enough, that PCI card would be in one of the PCI slots of that Shuttle, and not in its PCIe.
I just looked, and the video card is in the PCI slot, and there is another slot labeled PCIe. Looks like I need to check out PCIe video cards at Newegg.

Thanks for the help.

nomko
Level 10
Level 10

Post by nomko » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:56 am

dave843 wrote: I just looked, and the video card is in the PCI slot, and there is another slot labeled PCIe. Looks like I need to check out PCIe video cards at Newegg.
This was important info to tell also from the beginning. Now there was a discussion going on whether your system did have or did not have PCIe.

But since this is clear, throw that ancient piece of hardware in the wheely bin and buy a decent PCIe videocard based on a NVidia chipset. Nvidia is much better supported than ATI/AMD cards.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”