Forum rules
Before you post please read this
chapa
Level 1
Level 1

Canon Pixma MG5550 installation: SOLVED

Post by chapa »

Hi,

I've just bought this printer and download from the official Canon site the linux driver cnijfilter-mg5500series-4.00-1 _rpm but I have no clue about how to install it. I have the intention to use it wireless.

I'm talking just about the printer drivers, the scanner ones I guess I can install it later one once the printer working.

Thx!
Last edited by chapa on Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Canon Pixma MG5550 installation

Post by gtsfer »

If you're using any distribution of Linux Mint you'll need a DEB file. RPM files are for distros like Red Hat, it uses a different package manager. There's probably a DEB available for download if they had RPMs, but if you're stuck with that there is a conversion tool you could install and use (alien).
"There is no gravity, the earth sucks." - Issac Newton @ 75
KDE & Cinnamon 18.1 & Win 10 - ASUS M5A99FX PRO MB, AMD FX-8370 Octo-Core CPU, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 240
TimCole
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TimCole »

I'm a complete Linux Mint neophyte myself, but I just installed my Canon MG5300 printer without any problems, directly from the application tools. I'm running Mint 17 Cinnamon on an old Toshiba Satellite laptop (AMD Athlon).
The procedure I used was:
1) Turn on printer and make sure it's communicating with the wireless router.
2) From the "Menu" item on the panel, select Administration->Printers
3) Select "Add"
4) From the the Select Device dialog, select "Network Printer" and select the "Find Network Printer" option.
A few minutes later, with no other steps on my part, I was invited to print a test page.

I haven't tried the scanner yet.

Cheers, Tim
Tim Cole, Ottawa ON
Mint 17 Cinnamon on an AMD Athlon laptop
TimCole
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TimCole »

Oh, I just decided to try the scanner, and it was pretty simple, too. I just turned on the printer, started the "Simple Scan" utility, and clicked "Scan." It worked without any trouble at all.
Cheers, Tim
Tim Cole, Ottawa ON
Mint 17 Cinnamon on an AMD Athlon laptop
gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer »

Good enough! Can you edit your first post and add SOLVED in the subject field? It might help someone else.
"There is no gravity, the earth sucks." - Issac Newton @ 75
KDE & Cinnamon 18.1 & Win 10 - ASUS M5A99FX PRO MB, AMD FX-8370 Octo-Core CPU, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 240
chapa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chapa »

Hi,

I just can't believe it how simple finally it was!

I'm victim of Linux prejudice.

Thanks!!!
Syno
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Canon Pixma MG5550 installation: SOLVED

Post by Syno »

Hello,

I get the same scanner problem with a Pixma MG4250. Printing via USB or network works fine. I get the scanner to work with the libraries from the Canon website and the

Code: Select all

scangearmp
command, but SANE won't detect it (with XSane or Simple Scan). I think I found why. I have read in the manual from SANE

Code: Select all

man sane-usb
that "SANE can only use libusb 0.1.6 or newer." I use Mint 17 KDE and it seems that Mint uses libusb 0.1.4.

I hope it helps.
Greatings,
Syno
ekim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ekim »

I have a Canon MG5420 that I tried to install on Mint 17 Cinnamon but no luck. It goes thru the motions of installing and even printing but nothing comes out!
pdc_2
Level 9
Level 9

Canon MG5400 series: use Canon debian drivers

Post by pdc_2 »

so ekim if we point you to the Canon linux drivers; that Canon supply for your printer;

if you go here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... ml#r=s&r=s and click to DOWNLOAD and select SAVE as your option; you will be downloading cnijfilter-mg5400series-3.80-1-deb.tar.gz

if you open a terminal and copy and paste in the commands below.........please ask if you need help on any of these things.................

cd Downloads
tar -zxvf cnijfilter-mg5400series-3.80-1-deb.tar.gz
cd cnijfilter-mg5400series-3.80-1-deb
./install.sh

that will install the printer; the scanner driver installs the same way: it is its own programme called ScanGearMP get it from here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... ml#r=s&r=s

and it runs initially from a terminal with the command
scangearmp
chapa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chapa »

Hi pdc,

I can't make teh scanner work following your instructions.

I downloaded the program and in a terminal with the command scangearmp nothing happens.

I have to tell you that I'm a beginner, so if there something previous step to do, I didn't... :(
pdc_2
Level 9
Level 9

get ScanGearMP working on Canon MG5500 series

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi chapa;

if you can open a terminal; and copy this command; and paste it into the terminal
dpkg -l | grep scangear
and then if you can copy the result; and paste it back here please;

........use the mouse to paste into the terminal; ie use the menu list on the top line of the terminal ...........File.........along to Edit and down to paste ...........
chapa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chapa »

Hi,

Doesn't bring nothing, as if I didn't do anything.
pdc_2
Level 9
Level 9

Post by pdc_2 »

OK;

chapa: this forum has mentioned the 5400 and the 5500 series: please tell me what the model number of your Canon is please
chapa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chapa »

Is a Canon PIXMA MG5550.

Network printer works perfect, but just the scanner doesn't. From the printer itself if you scan any document it request you to send it to a PC, a search starts and the result is that any computer wasn't find.
pdc_2
Level 9
Level 9

get ScanGearMP working on Canon MG5500 series

Post by pdc_2 »

thanks;

if you go here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... ml#r=s&r=s and click to download you will be downloading scangearmp-mg5500series-2.20-1-deb.tar.gz

if you SAVE it as it is downloaded; if you then open a terminal and paste in these commands; line by line and hit the ENTER key after each paste ..

cd Downloads
tar -zxvf scangearmp-mg5500series-2.20-1-deb.tar.gz
cd scangearmp-mg5500series-2.20-1-deb
./install.sh

to run ScanGearMP issue the command
scangearmp
in a terminal;

................ best to set up a launcher ......................

to do that the commands are
sudo apt-get install gnome-panel
then
gnome-desktop-item-edit ~/Desktop/ --create-new
and the command must be
scangearmp
but you can choose the rest ..............

so let me emphasise: to scan, you must use ScanGearMP: sane or simple scan or xsane will not work................but they will ..........if you contact the developers http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-pixma.5.html

.......... they would be delighted......you have the hardware and could help them get it working.........

best wishes
Attachments
launcher.png
chapa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chapa »

THANKS!

It works.

Just one remark: still the computer is not recognized from the scanner, but anyway you need to put the document to scan physically on the scanner and then pick it up (this is almost philosophical :roll: ) so not a big deal of change.

And an observation regarding the launcher creation (at least I didn't realise that at first try): when you run on the console the command:

gnome-desktop-item-edit ~/Desktop/ --create-new

you have to translate Desktop in the language of the OS. Perhaps is obvious but it wasn't for me. :oops:

Thanks again!
pdc_2
Level 9
Level 9

Post by pdc_2 »

glad it all works; you seem very good on details; so you will be able to sort a lot of stuff out on linux; it is hard to give a complete cover of everything in a forum post: but you got there! enjoy

Return to “Printers & Scanners”