Computer won't boot after running Bleachbit

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
LinuxinNC
Level 1
Level 1

Computer won't boot after running Bleachbit

Post by LinuxinNC »

I have Mint 17 in the Mate version on my computer. I'm relatively new to Linux and love it. When a Windows user, I used to routinely run CCleaner to keep things cleaned out, so I thought I'd try Bleachbit. I set it to clean everything, I thought, including free space. After maybe 2 hours I got a message saying that the computer had very little disk space left, (There was A LOT of unused space on the hard drive.) Then the machine just froze up and wouldn't do anything. So, I shut it down and restarted it.

Now, the computer will not boot. For a moment it displays the LM logo in the middle of the screen, like it previously did when first starting to boot up. Then it comes to a screen where you have to choose one of four entries:
Linux Mint 17 MATE 32 bit, 3.13.0.-24-generic (/dev/sda1)
Linux Mint 17 MATE 32 bit, 3.13.0.-24-generic (/dev/sda1) -- recovery mode
Memory test (memtest86+)
Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)

When I press enter for the first option it says:
Busy Box v.1.21.1 (Ubuntu 1:1.21.0-1ubuntu1) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of commands.

(initramfs)

When I enter help at the blinking cursor, it comes back to say:
Built-in Commands:
Then it gives an indented 11 line paragraph of what may be commands.

I'm lost!!!! Is it possible to restore my system, or do I need to Boot and Nuke it all, loose everything, and start over from the beginning? Thanks in advance if anyone can offer me any guidance...

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Computer won't boot after running Bleachbit

Post by xenopeek »

In my experience Bleachbit isn't safe to use unless you know what you are doing (it gives suggestions; it's up to you to do the sanity check before cleaning anything). You're not the first to brick their operating system with it :( You've cleaned so much, there's no operating system left to boot. I don't know of an easy way to recover from this.

The best way is to reinstall. You can copy any personal files of yours from the hard disk to another medium while booted from the Linux Mint installation DVD/USB, before reinstalling.

There's little need to use Bleachbit generally; most things it does, like cleaning temporary Internet files, you can do safely from your browser instead. As a good rule of thumb, any time you're asked for your password when starting a program or performing some action do a double-check on everything you're doing--when the operating system ask for your password it means the program or action requires root privileges and can thus modify files of your operating system.

LinuxinNC
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LinuxinNC »

Sorry to hear that I need to reinstall everything, but glad for the suggestion about saving personal files while running the installation CD before reinstalling the operating system again. This has been an educational experience that I hope not to repeat. Thank you very much for your help!!

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

I hope the reinstall goes fine and you can move past this unfortunate first impression :| Don't hesitate to come to the forum also for recommendations or checking on something you intend to do; you'll generally find others here happy to help with sorting through such questions.

hrturner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hrturner »

Best way to learn is through breaking stuff! Bleachbit is a great app just be careful, like xenopeek said.

There was a thread not too long ago where people posted up their bleachbit settings to safely clean without removing important stuff.

****EDIT*****

Here is the thread if you are interested: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=183148

var
Level 3
Level 3

Post by var »

You almost never need to use these kinds of tools in a Linux system. Unlike Windows, the filesystem does not get fragmented nor does it leave tons of useless tmp files everywhere. It organizes files much more efficiently. Programs like BleachBit really shouldn't be used by someone who is not fully aware of the consequences.

You can quite happily use a Linux system as a consumer for years and never need to 'clean' it.

Example:
All you 'user installed' files will be in /usr/loca/(bin, lib, include etc), like SDL for example.

So it won't need cleaning or organizing because everything is already where it needs to be.

Just have fun and don't worry about this :)

LinuxinNC
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LinuxinNC »

Thank you all for your responses, input and encouragement. I don't know which is better -- the Linux OS or the Linux Community. I'm very grateful for both!!

kc1di
Level 15
Level 15

Post by kc1di »

when I clean a system I use the janitor in ubuntu-tweak - I know don't need all the other stuff that comes with it but the janitor works really well and has never deleted and important file on me. but as mentioned above it's not needed often.
you can get it here: http://ubuntu-tweak.com/
:)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

LinuxinNC
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LinuxinNC »

Xenopeek,

In your early post to me you said the following:

"You can copy any personal files of yours from the hard disk to another medium while booted from the Linux Mint installation DVD/USB, before reinstalling."

I tried to do that, but cannot seem to access any of the personal files. I simply may not know how to do that, but I tried to do so while running LM Mate 17 from the DVD I originally loaded the OS from in the first place. I tried to access it by opening the Home Folder, and also by trying to access the hard disc through Control Center/Hardware/Disks, all to no avail.

Is it possible that I lost the personal files, as well as the OS, or am I just not trying to do this in the right way? I've been using another computer in the mean time, but would like to get the one i wrote about back up and running again.

Thanks very much for your help!

LinuxinNC

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Booted from the Linux Mint DVD you should be able to do the following:
- Open the run dialog (Alt+F2) or open a terminal, and give the command: gksudo caja
- This opens your file manager as root, giving you full permissions
- Browse to your hard disk partition with your Linux Mint installation in this file manager, and there go to the home folder -- you should find a folder there with your username
- Go there and you should be able to copy files from there

If you have full disk encryption this of course won't work, as the hard disk is encrypted. If you have home folder encryption it also won't work like that. With full disk encryption a lot more steps are needed to recover files (I'm not sure of the exact steps for Linux Mint). With home folder encryption that is somewhat easier.

BlackVeils
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BlackVeils »

accessing files in live mode from encrypted setup:

(these are notes I keep, sorry I cannot provide source for the first)

disk encryption (LVM)

click the relevant drive (partition) for your system in the left pane of file manager, to mount it.

"2. Install lvm2:
sudo apt-get install lvm2

3. Load the necessary module(s):
sudo modprobe dm-mod

4. Scan your system for LVM volumes and identify in the output the volume group name that has your Mint volume (mine proved to be VolGroup00):
sudo vgscan

5. Activate the volume:
sudo vgchange -ay VolGroup00

6. Find the logical volume that has your Mint root filesystem (mine proved to be LogVol00):
sudo lvs

7. Create a mount point for that volume:
sudo mkdir /mnt/fcroot

8. Mount it:
sudo mount /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /mnt/fcroot -o ro,user
OR
sudo mount /dev/mapper/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /mnt/fcroot -o ro,user

9. Backup files from filesystem at /mnt/fcroot

encrypted home:

click the relevant drive (partition) for your system in the left pane of file manager, to mount it.

1. run the following command to search your mounted file systems for encrypted private directories:
sudo ecryptfs-recover-private

The command will offer to recover an encrypted directory if it locates one.

Assuming the command found a wrapped passphrase file on your system, it will prompt you for your login passphrase. If it doesn’t find this file, you’ll need the mount passphrase from the ecryptfs-unwrap-passphrase command – hopefully you have a copy of this. If you don’t, you can’t recover your files.

The command will mount the encrypted directory in your /tmp directory.

2. You can access this directory to view the decrypted versions of your files. However, you may not have read access to this directory as the live CD user. so run:
gksudo nemo /tmp

to open file manager with root privileges.

http://www.howtogeek.com/116297/how-to- ... on-ubuntu/

--- Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk ---

LinuxinNC
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LinuxinNC »

I have tried to retrieve personal files by doing what Xenopeek suggested, but they no longer seem to exist. So, I can only assume that Bleachbit somehow got to them, as well as the OS. So, I thought the only thing to do would be to clean the hard drive completely and start over from scratch. When I try to use Darik's Boot and Nuke, it loads but will not execute when you press F10 to start it. In fact, it responds to no F keys. So, then, I thought i would just go ahead and reinstall Linux Mint Mate 17 over what had been installed before. No luck again.

When installing on my first attempt, a message came back that the installation had failed and that an error report would be sent to a developer. On my second attempt, I got this message:

Falied to create a file system (as superuser) The ext4 file system creation in partition #1 of SCSI1 (0.0.0) (sda) failed

I kept getting this message several times as i tried to back out and retry. Now the screen is frozen with that message, so I guess i will have to manually force a shut down to turn the computer off.

It appears that perhaps the hard drive has been so affected by Bleachbit that it may not function. (It was working fine before running Bleachbit, so it appears that whatever Bleachbit did is what compromised it. Funny, though, I can get started with things but then only get so far... Does anyone have any suggestions or instructions on what i can do to make this computer functional again?

Thank you, everyone, for all of your posts and help so far.

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

If you're going to reinstall and want to start afresh the simplest thing to do at this point would be to boot from the live disc you have, go to gparted or disk management through the menu and format the whole hard drive, delete any and all partitions and format it, that way you're starting with a clean HDD, bleachbit is unlikely to have caused the disk to stop working but regardless, if it was me, I'd delete/format then reinstall from there on.

LinuxinNC
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LinuxinNC »

daveinuk,

I tried to do what you've suggested. Through the control center I went to disk drives, and selected the hard drive, 300 GB Hard Disk /dev/sda. Partition 1 said it had 298 GB, Extended Partition 2 said 2.1 GB, and Swap Partition 5 said 2.1 GB. I clicked on Partition 1, selected "Overwrite existing Data with zeros" and "No Partitioning (Empty). Then I clicked on format. Nothing seemed to happen. Then I'd get a message that said, "Erro Formatting Disk Error Synchronizing after initial wipeP timet out waiting for object (udisks-error-quark, 0).

Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

You're not going about it as i suggested: maybe I should clarify.

To the best of my knowledge, a live DVD/USB should now have gparted as a part of the menu, if not it can be downloaded to use in a live session, you can also get gparted as a medium to boot also, so what I would do is:

Open gparted, select each partition one by one and choose to delete - after that, you can 'apply' and let it do its thing. Then, highlite the one partition left remaining and choose 'new', you are using the whole of the drive, and I would then personally just choose to format it to FAT32, and 'apply' and again let it do its thing.

You are then set to reinstall the OS with the mint 17.1 dvd - there's a multitude if different ways to do the above, everyone has their 'own way' of doing what they do, that's mine, works for me ;)

I hope you get sorted this way, there's no good reason I can think of why this shouldn't work for you.

Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

Sorry to hear that I need to reinstall everything,

You can prevent this in the future by BACKING UP the OS.

With 500MB and 1TB disks floating around, backing up a 5G OS is trivial - you don't even need a separate (dedicated) partition to backup to, just a directory in a data (non-OS) partition. It takes a few minutes and can save tons of hassle in the future. I don't understand why everyone doesn't do it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

LinuxinNC
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LinuxinNC »

This experience has been a way to learn a great deal about multiple things -- like NEVER using Bleachbit to wipe free space, some safer modalities for using Bleachbit, disk encryption (mine was not), gparted (I finally understood what that was and did reformat the whole drive), the value of backing up the OS, etc. I'm truly thankful for all of the good help that everyone who has posted replies has been given to me.

Unfortunately, however, I still have a computer that will not allow the OS to be reinstalled. Whatever Bleachbit did, it seems almost lethal. After reformatting the hard drive, I was hopeful that the problem would get fixed. But then, every time I tried to install Linux Mint 17.1 Mate 32 bit, it would only go so far, (usually to the screen where you confirm your time zone). At that point, this message would always come up: "Failed to create a file system as superuser. The ext4 file system creation in partition #1 of SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) failed." When I'd try to click beyond that, the screen would either seem to recycle back to earlier steps that I would repeat again or freeze up.

I thought that perhaps the problem was ultimately that something had to be eliminated that was still on the drive, so I decided to try Darik's Boot and Nuke again, to start from a wiped clean drive. Though it wouldn't execute before, after I changed to a different keyboard, it finally would respond to the F10 key to get started and wipe the drive. So, I did a DOD Short clean (three passes). The program went through its paces and said it completed the task successfully.

Now I was hopeful again. I tried again to install the Linux Mint 17.1 Mate 32 bit OS. (I had checked my downloaded copy's integrity using winMd5Sum, and it was good.) Things went along fine to a point, but then the same message came up: "Failed to create a file system (as Superuser) The ext4file system creation in partition #1 of SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) failed." Then another message came up: "Warning! (as superuser) Error fsyncing/dev/sda: Input/output error" After that, the machine would seem frozen up again. The only way out seemed to be doing a manual shut down of the computer.

I wonder if anybody can shed some light on what may be going on or if there is any way to fix this. Again, the computer was functioning just fine before running Bleachbit, so it appears that something that program did created this problem. Is it possible that it could have ruined the drive? Thanks in advance for any insight you may offer...

StephenEdwards
Level 1
Level 1

Post by StephenEdwards »

Linux systems need free space on the boot drive in the users home directory to boot.
What Bleachbit has done is fill the drive with a big file taking up all space to wipe the drive.
All you need to do is remove some files from the home folder, even a few mp3's and pictures will do, and the system will boot.
After it has booted all you need to do is locate the massive file Bleachbit made to wipe the drive and delete it, then replace the mp3's or pictures and your system will be good as new. :D

LinuxinNC
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LinuxinNC »

Stephen, what you've said seems logical and plausible. However, I ran Darik's Boot and Nuke, which boots from a CD and then wipes the entire drive, removing any and all data there. So, I would assume that anything that would have been in the home folder before would have been wiped away. The computer will boot from a DVD loaded with the Mint OS; it just won't let me install it. Although I'm learning a lot, I'm obviously not a computer expert. Can you give step by step instructions on what you've suggested, or is it perhaps not relevent, given the situation that the hard drive has been wiped? I'm not sure that I fully understand. Thanks!

BlackVeils
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BlackVeils »

lets get clear on the state of this hard drive:

boot the linux live dvd/usb, open the program 'disks', select your hard drive from the left pane, then click the cog icon at the top-right of the window, select 'smart data and self-tests'. look at the the information 'value' section and the summary above. do any of the values indicate damaged sectors? is the smart status ok?

open the 'terminal' program, and post the results of:

Code: Select all

sudo parted -l
thats a lower case L, not a number 1. this will list information about disks.

it seems like physical damage. not that the program destroys disks, just an unfortunate series of events. your disk was going to get damaged regardless of bleachbit, it just happened sooner rather than later, due to the secure-wiping.

it doesnt matter how new or healthy a disk seems, things can fail, it can be slow or sudden.

wiping/shredding is an intensive task, its not like a simple delete action in the operating system or of a file-system, the disk was not healthy enough to cope with it.

Return to “Newbie Questions”