How to remove/disable sharing of single folder [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pecazp
Level 1
Level 1

How to remove/disable sharing of single folder [SOLVED]

Post by pecazp »

Hi,
Can't believe that something essential like this hasn't been addressed before, probably because it is very simple to do but after quite bit of googling and searching this and other forums, i still haven't found solution or tutorial on how to do this so..

In Mint 17, and now 17.1 i have shared two folders on local network. My machine is only one running linux. First time, sharing was simple and did put sharing overlay icon on those folders.
After a while i forgot about those and icons were gone so i thought that somehow sharing was disabled. So i right-clicked folder and it didn't show that it is shared already so i've done it again.

Then i installed 17.1 and had problem with seeing network shares at all, and my machine wasn't discoverable. I thougt that maybe those shared folders made problem because they were named with cyrilic fonts like: Филм and Тапете. So i shared them again with latin fonts.. :D (i know, long shot but just to rule out some stupid overlook)

And now everything is fine (solved visibility), except i have all three versions of same two folders showing in shares. And i can share them again and i would have fourth version.
Sharing overlay icon is not showing and i don't know how to remove shared folder. I'd like to remove them all and then share one version of each, and if possible, with that overlay icon in Nemo. That's all.

I hope that was clear and understandable, thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How to remove/disable sharing of single folder

Post by altair4 »

Based on what I think you are saying you created the shares within Nemo.

If so then the share definitions are in /var/lib/samba/usershares.
Just go in there ( as root if necessary ) and remove the definition files matching the shares you no longer require. You can double click the files to see the path to the shared folder to help you determine which one to delete.

If I didn't understand your post correctly your share definitions are in /etc/samba/smb.conf.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
pecazp
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to remove/disable sharing of single folder [SOLVED]

Post by pecazp »

Hey, thanks for fast reply. That did the trick.
Everyhing is working correctly, even overlay icon is there and you can tick/untick sharing in properties menu. :D

Thanks again, have a good one.

Return to “Networking”