Changing the Background Image on the Login Screen

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Giratina
Level 1
Level 1

Changing the Background Image on the Login Screen

Post by Giratina » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:24 am

My Terminal says I am running:
RELEASE=17.1
CODENAME=rebecca
EDITION="Cinnamon 64-bit"
DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca"
DESKTOP=Gnome
TOOLKIT=GTK
This is my first go at linux, so I didn't know how this worked much. I want to change the automatic slideshow background on my login screen. I looked for help, but everything else was for older versions of Linux mint and didn't work.
First, I found the backgrounds that were being used (/usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint-rebecca) and moved them out using a sudo command and moved the image I wanted in using the same command. This led to a black background at the starting screen. I then renamed the file to one of the previous files' names, but it had no effect.
I then looked in settings and found the login screen settings and changed it to the image that I wanted. This made it flash for a little bit on startup, but it quickly changed to the black background again.
Last time I started up, it worked, but when I restarted to see if it would always work, I got the black background again.
Is there a login screen theme that I have that lets me customize the background? Is there one I can download? Or is there some simple command line fix that will allow it to work?

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Changing the Background Image on the Login Screen

Post by Reorx » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:15 pm

Edit Login Window Preferences. Menu > All Applications > Login Wingow...
LIW1.png
Note that if you don't see anything you like in the window, you can choose a different type of background using the pulldown at the top...
liw2.png
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

Giratina
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Giratina » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:26 am

Oh. That worked. I just had to change the theme to GDK. Thanks!

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:44 am

Enjoy the Mint! :mrgreen:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

Return to “Newbie Questions”