Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
diehard8765
Level 1
Level 1

Hardware or Software issue?

Post by diehard8765 »

I have run Linux on older hardware (e.g. 2001 hardware) with nary a hitch for the last 5 years.

At the start of the year I bought a new Toshiba, erased Windows and stuck Fedora on it. A few days later Fedora completely froze.

I ended up then installing Mint 17 Qiana. Once again I am getting glitches and freezes ...... I've never had these issues previously.

I am concerned that my hardware is the problem.

Anybody have any thoughts?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Hardware or Software issue?

Post by xenopeek »

diehard8765 wrote:I am concerned that my hardware is the problem.
How about you share what hardware you have :) Open a terminal, run this command to gather info on your hardware, and share the output here:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
It's common for laptops to have stability issues, or not all functions working, because still many manufacturers have very poor support for Linux. In many cases these kind of issues are software related--you needing to load a different graphics card driver, a different wireless driver, or you needing to set some boot parameters specific for your laptop model to enable/disable some specific feature to fix a known issue.

Also share your exact laptop model number.
ktheking
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ktheking »

Make sure to handle UEFI properly.
Preferably disable it in the bios ,and re-install Mint.

This howto might be helpfull to get CSM instead of UEFI in your BIOS : http://www.top-password.com/blog/set-wi ... uefi-mode/

Mind you , for dual-boot with windows 8 you might need to stick with UEFI ,and sort all the UEFI issues with Mint.(the first solution is easier :-) )
diehard8765
Level 1
Level 1

Post by diehard8765 »

Thanks for all the help. Very constructive. Here are those details Xenopeek.

Ktheking - I will definitely try your BIOS suggestion.

Toshiba Satellite C70-A-16L

Code: Select all

System:    Host: ruby Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine:   System: TOSHIBA product: SATELLITE C70-A version: PSCE2E-08M04SEN
           Mobo: Type2 - Board Vendor Name1 model: Type2 - Board Product Name1 version: Type2 - Board Version
           Bios: Insyde version: 1.20 date: 09/18/2013
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium CPU 2020M (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9578.2 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1200.00 MHz 2: 1200.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1600x900@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR8162 Fast Ethernet driver: alx port: 2000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (1.0% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: HGST_HTS545050A7 size: 500.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 455G used: 4.9G (2%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 4.18GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 166 Uptime: 1:40 Memory: 759.7/3844.4MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Googling around, nothing immediately jumps out as suspect from that.

Going forward, the next time it freezes do a couple of tests:
- Can you go to a virtual console with ctrl+alt+f1?
- If not, does numlock/capslock still work? (does it toggle keyboard indicator light)
- If not, can you reset your system with holding down Alt+Print Screen (Prt Sc) and typing in sequence slowly the letters R E I S U B
All that to determine at what level the freeze is; what parts of your OS continue to work under the freeze.

Is the freeze permanent BTW, or does it recover from the freeze within a minute or so?

After a freeze you can investigate if there are any ERROR or warning messages in your system log. Either open the file /var/log/syslog yourself, or use the System Log Viewer. The file is timestamped so you can align with the moment of the freeze, and look in the 30 seconds or so before that time to see if there are any ERROR or warning messages. From that, hopefully Google on those messages will give some clues as to what is wrong and possibly how to solve it.

Return to “Hardware Support”