Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Elli
Level 1
Level 1

Network Manager won't ask for password

Post by Elli » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:01 am

I just installed Rebecca Cinnamon. At home Wifi works fine. I was asked for the password at first start.

At college we have secured and open Wifi. I can connect to the unsecured Wifi, but every time I choose the secured connection in the networkmanager applet the networkpreferences window pops up. There I can click on the start button, then it tries endlessly to connect. Obviously a connection can't be established because I am not asked for username and password. Please, where can I set up username and password?

iwconfig:

Code: Select all

eth0      no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:off/any  
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=16 dBm   
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off

Wrain
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Network Manager won't ask for password

Post by Wrain » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:06 am

I have the same problem. I can connect to my home wireless network since the password was inserted during installation but I can't manage to connect to any other wireless network (the password input dialog just doesn't pop up).
You could try to install another network manager or try the following workaround:
1 - go to network settings
2 - connect to a hidden networks
3 - input the network name and add the security parameters

It worked for me.

(Linux Mint 17.1 - Cinnamon)

telgar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by telgar » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:36 am

I have the same issue, though Wrain's fix worked. What I noticed is that it is fine connecting to normal WPA-secured SSIDs, but for some reason cannot communicate with PEAP-secured ones. It just pulls up the Network Settings window and pretends to try and connect, but never prompts the user for any settings, including username and password. This is definitely specific to Mint 17.1 since it worked perfectly before, and I have installed and upgraded in a few different ways.
I just hope this is fixed so no one else has this problem, since now for me it remembers the settings and connects fine.

skydreams
Level 1
Level 1

Post by skydreams » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:03 pm

hi, all

I'm a new comer of Linux mint, today is the first day I used mint. And this is the first issue I meet in mint!!

The problem is the same as you talked above: I can connect to the wifi in my home which is wpa-secured based, but can't connect to the wifi in my office which is peap-secured based.

As list above, the password input dialog just doesn't pop up.

I found that I can setup some parameters for the wifi when I open "network connections" and choose "add" to add a new connection for the wifi. But in the settings of "wifi security", I can only found LEAP (NOT PEAP) in the security drop list.

i had tried several times that it won't work if I choose leap, but i can saw the status changed to "connecting...." and then reported failed.

I don't know the difference between leap and peap.

@telgar , do you remember what you used before this version? leap or peap?

SleeperService
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SleeperService » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:40 pm

A quick search seems to reveal that Ubuntu/Mint does not efficiently handle enterprise networks that may not have been setup with security certificates. Look here for a work around... http://askubuntu.com/questions/279762/c ... prise-peap .
Think Penguin Korora, i5-4200U, Intel HD 4400, 4gb DDR3, Crucial MX100 SSD, Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64-bit

mcganical
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mcganical » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:21 pm

I'm also trying to connect to a PEAP connection. But I can't use that workaround because there isn't an SSID profile to edit in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections. I imagine that once I connect there will be a profile in that folder. But for now, there isn't one.

So I'm not sure how to add that line to a file that doesn't yet exist. I wonder if there are other network managers that would work.

mcganical
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mcganical » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:12 pm

I found a simple solution:

Open 'Network Settings'
Choose 'Connect to a Hidden Network'
For Network Name, put the name of the network (in my case is was 'eduroam')
For Network Security, choose 'WPA & WPA2 Enterprise'
For Authentication, choose the last option: Protected EAP (PEAP)
Then add your username and password

Hope this helps someone else.

chlortho
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chlortho » Sat May 30, 2015 6:50 pm

Thanks for this, mcganical! I am certain this will fix my issues with my university wifi. The preferences switch needs to be available as soon as a connect attempt is made, like on Ubuntu Unity. I hate to say it, but maybe this is the ONE good thing about Unity...

vasiliskel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vasiliskel » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:21 am

Wrain wrote:I have the same problem. I can connect to my home wireless network since the password was inserted during installation but I can't manage to connect to any other wireless network (the password input dialog just doesn't pop up).
You could try to install another network manager or try the following workaround:
1 - go to network settings
2 - connect to a hidden networks
3 - input the network name and add the security parameters

It worked for me.

This was an excellent solution!!! I was trying to resolve this issue for many many hours and your solution worked like a charm. Thank you very much!!!

macmex1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by macmex1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:57 pm

Just want to thank mcganical for the good, detailed work around. I'm using Linux Mint 18.2 and had this problem on our university secure wireless network. I applied the work around and was able to connect. Thanks!

Return to “Wireless”