Archived topics about LMDE 1
mfaridi
Level 2
Level 2

ctrl+alt-f4 do not work

Post by mfaridi » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:33 am

I want login with root account when I press
Ctrl+Alt+F4
I do not see login prompt and I only see log about mouse and usb and ...
and I can not log in with root

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: ctrl+alt-f4 do not work

Post by austin.texas » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:10 am

First, logging in as root is not recommended, and is not generally necessary. The use of sudo and su in a terminal will do about everything you need to do.
Next, to log in as root, you first have to create a root password.
The way to switch to a different user is to use the LOG OUT button on the menu > Switch User
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

mfaridi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mfaridi » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:16 am

austin.texas wrote:First, logging in as root is not recommended, and is not generally necessary. The use of sudo and su in a terminal will do about everything you need to do.
Next, to log in as root, you first have to create a root password.
The way to switch to a different user is to use the LOG OUT button on the menu > Switch User
I want encrypt my home user and I use this link and I have to log with root and run that command and I need use ctrl+alt+f4

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=124043

paxmark1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by paxmark1 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:22 pm

Well when in sid (on another machine) I use Ctl Alt F1 to log into a tty1 as root (sid is debian unstable)

On an aspire one with debian lmde Ctl Alt F1 leads me also to a black screen with

LMDE MATE Edition <<moi>> tty1
<<moi>> login:

Replicating Ctl Alt F4 leads me to ... tty4 and a login request the same as on tty1

however I do have systemd enabled and while init 3 and init 5 are extremely similar between sysvinit and systemd, there are some subtle differences. YMMV. Weird things happen in LMDE when I change to init 5 or back to init 3 I have no advice or knowledge about why tty4 is giving messages about a mouse or usb when you press the keys the same as me.

However, if you do want to want to encrypt /home and do it as root instead of via sudo, be sure you have established a passowrd for root and you should be able to accomplish it via a terminal as root. Just be sure to read up on it prior, and also read up on the encryption process, I have not encrypted any partitions on my machines. And of course, have /home backed up elsewhere prior to encrypting. Peace out.

Return to “LMDE 1 Archive”