[Solved] Lenovo qualcom atheros AR9565 wifi notworking

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
User avatar
aeromac
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:09 pm

[Solved] Lenovo qualcom atheros AR9565 wifi notworking

Post by aeromac » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:23 pm

I have a lenovo yoga 2 11 laptop with a qualcom atheros AR9565 network adapter and I have no WIFI on my Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon. Trying to research what need to be upgraded. is it the Kernel or a driver? My kernel is 3.13.0-37 and I know there are several updated kernels and which one might fix my problem or is it a driver upgrade I need?

Thanks for any help I can get.
Gary Wilkins
Last edited by aeromac on Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10950
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: Lenovo qualcom atheros AR9565 wifi notworking

Post by JeremyB » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:03 pm

aeromac wrote:I have a lenovo yoga 2 11 laptop with a qualcom atheros AR9565 network adapter and I have no WIFI on my Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon. Trying to research what need to be upgraded. is it the Kernel or a driver? My kernel is 3.13.0-37 and I know there are several updated kernels and which one might fix my problem or is it a driver upgrade I need?

Thanks for any help I can get.
Gary Wilkins
Open a terminal window and enter

Code: Select all

rfkill list all
and paste the results

User avatar
aeromac
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Lenovo qualcom atheros AR9565 wifi notworking

Post by aeromac » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:00 pm

Done that, didn't fix it. Also the Bluetooth hardware shows hard block but it works you can turn on Bluetooth but the wifi won't turn on even when I built a wifi connection with security, DNS servers and such.

everibarra91
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:40 am

Re: Lenovo qualcom atheros AR9565 wifi notworking

Post by everibarra91 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:48 am

I personally had this problem and researched all day today. Tried lots of stuff but after inputing the codes :

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
and

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
it finally fixed the problem after rebooting. Hope it helps, good luck!

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10950
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: Lenovo qualcom atheros AR9565 wifi notworking

Post by JeremyB » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:11 am

With the Yoga2 you can go into the Update Manager, click View and then Linux Kernels, then select the 3.16.0-30 kernel to install and your wifi should work again. Lenovo changed how they reported the hard block on these laptops and it caused linux users problems until the kernel developers found the problem and got the patches submitted

User avatar
aeromac
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Lenovo qualcom atheros AR9565 wifi notworking

Post by aeromac » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:29 pm

I thought about upgrading to 3.16, but from everything I have read it's best to stay within the 3.13 and only do point updates which i have. I might just try it and see what happens.

What I have found out is there is two wlan0's in the rfkill list all. there is two wlan0 listed one pci and the other ideapad and it's the ideapad which is listed first and the hardware blocked. I think i might have to black list this some how to remove it from the /etc/modprobe list. Has anyone seen this? Am I on the right track?

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10950
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: Re: Lenovo qualcom atheros AR9565 wifi notworking

Post by JeremyB » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:30 pm

aeromac wrote:I thought about upgrading to 3.16, but from everything I have read it's best to stay within the 3.13 and only do point updates which i have. I might just try it and see what happens.

What I have found out is there is two wlan0's in the rfkill list all. there is two wlan0 listed one pci and the other ideapad and it's the ideapad which is listed first and the hardware blocked. I think i might have to black list this some how to remove it from the /etc/modprobe list. Has anyone seen this? Am I on the right track?
I wouldn't hesitate to use the 3.16.0-30 and it isn't difficult to remove a kernel by using grub menu at boot(press and hold shift key to make it appear) and select previous version then select the old kernel to boot from and use update manager to remove the newer kernel.
The alternative is usually

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe -r ideapad_laptop

Code: Select all

sudo rfkill unblock all
and see if it works

User avatar
aeromac
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Lenovo qualcom atheros AR9565 wifi notworking

Post by aeromac » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:40 pm

WHOAH the modprobe -r ideapad_laptop worked. I now have WIFI and i'm back on the kernel 3.13.0.45 version

Thank you.

marked as SOLVED

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10950
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: Re: Lenovo qualcom atheros AR9565 wifi notworking

Post by JeremyB » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:53 pm

aeromac wrote:WHOAH the modprobe -r ideapad_laptop worked. I now have WIFI and i'm back on the kernel 3.13.0.45 version

Thank you.

marked as SOLVED
You will either need to run the sudo modprobe command after boot/suspend or you can blacklist it

Code: Select all

echo "blacklist ideapad_laptop" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/ideapad.conf
Removing ideapad_laptop either by blacklist or modprobe -r may cause FN combos to fail

The code in the 3.16.0-30 changed how ideapad_laptop handles hard blocks for the Yoga models without hardware switches
Last edited by JeremyB on Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
aeromac
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Lenovo qualcom atheros AR9565 wifi notworking

Post by aeromac » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:57 pm

oh your good. I was just getting ready to ask how to make it permanent. blacklist or add a command to rc.local.

Post Reply

Return to “Wireless”