sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

my overall take on LM 17

Post by sadhu » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:24 pm

Pros:
It's the most stable version I've seen. 17.1 was a disaster

Cons:
  • Dumbed-down gnome interface is annoying. Icons too large, uses too much screen real estate, but stuck with it because xfce crashes, kde won't load, lmde too buggy
  • Ghome-power-manager sucks -- have run my laptop batteries flat twice, because no way to adjust "critical battery level'
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LN 19.2-64 Cinn 3.6.7, Mobo: ASUSTeK STRIX B250G GAMING v, Dual core Pntm G4560, Intel Gfx. Laptop:Dell Inspiron 15-3000, Core i3, 4G RAM Intel Gfx

RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4

Re: my overall take on LM 17

Post by RacerBG » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:15 pm

sadhu wrote:Pros:
Wait, what? :?
Proud of Linux Mint!

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:25 pm

RacerBG wrote:
sadhu wrote:Pros:
Ditto. What? I liked 17.1 even more than 17.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:51 pm

I rather like both 17 and 17.1. Overall, I've found 17.x to be the best Mint releases yet. It's a big world, though. Some people call the habanero a little bit of heaven; others consider it to be the 7th ring of hell. Personally, I consider the habanero to be an experience of starting in hell, then climbing to heaven. Perhaps that's sort of like computing, in a way. Anyway, regardless of how one feels about the current version of things, the nice thing about Linux software is that it is a constantly moving target. :)
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sadhu » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:32 pm

RacerBG wrote:
sadhu wrote:17.1 was a disaster
1. I liked it a lot, at first, until an automatic update totally destroyed my internet connectivity. luckily I have a dual-boot system so i could search for help. But the cure was gawd-awful. Had to run some other modem application. (Turns out this is a problem that ubuntu caused--lack of support for some 3G dongles)

2. Something happened to cause nemo file list to display in case-insensitive alpha order instead of straight alpha, i.e., a B c D. What I got was B D a c. Took forever to find a solution, and even then I don't know what it was that made it work. (Incidentally, neither did the guy who offered the solution!) Most people were suggesting that I edit a file in /etc/ that doesn't exist in 17.1.

3. Could not connect my laptop and desktop back-to-back on null modem cat5 cable, which is how I syncrhonize my laptop and desktop. Been doing this for years, since Windows XP. In LM 15 and 17 I use sudo rsync -av --delete /ddr/ notebook:/ddr to mirror my data partition (mounted at /ddr) to the notebook. If I happen to be working from my laptop, I would enter rsync -av desktop:/ddr/ /ddr to copy the changed files back. (I mirror TO the notebook, copy FROM it.) I can do this easily from both machines in mint 15/17, but 17.1 requires one or both of the machines to be set up as a server (I think). The help file for TLS or SSH, or whatever it is, was pages and pages long, most of which I couldn't understand. All this constitutes stuff that is fun and delightful for computer enthusiasts, but for someone like me who needs to get a job done, it was awful. Never could figure it out. I gave up after a couple of hours, and simply went back to 17.

====

Now I'm terrified about what will happen in 2019. I hope by then these kinks are ironed out.

To recap the disaster: No connectivity: a) machine to internet, and b) machine to machine. And major gripe about file sort order.
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LN 19.2-64 Cinn 3.6.7, Mobo: ASUSTeK STRIX B250G GAMING v, Dual core Pntm G4560, Intel Gfx. Laptop:Dell Inspiron 15-3000, Core i3, 4G RAM Intel Gfx

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:36 pm

Ah. I see. Kinda strange, maybe it'll be fixed?
At least 17 is LTS. :D
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”